What The Hell, Giroux?

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013
Maybe, just maybe the other team just knows how to knock a smaller, slower guy out of the way?

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013
Giroux has been practically invisible throughout this series. He has been absolutely zero threat to the Penguins.

As for Simmonds, he is a monster. He's similar to Patric Hornqvist. He is a pest, energizes his team, and plays with intensity every game. It's odd to see him so quiet this series. I think part of it has been that Philly has been trailing, so he has to dial it back so he doesn't take a penalty. He's a ~30 goal / 55 point scorer who provides a lot of intangibles.

This moment in particular.

What can be more embarrassing than getting walked from the draw, and then failing to back-check, allowing a shut-down defensemen with 7 goals in 243 games to score the second goal in 5 seconds?

My therapist has convinced me that the 2012 playoffs never happened. Please don't post fake videos

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Skating is just so important now. I think he will get points with his IQ, shot and skill. But his overall game is not close to elite when the stakes rise. He simply can't separate and bring it unless he cherry picks and even then he can't generate that needed beat the defender to the goal.

iBELEAF

May 30, 2011
Vancouver
I thought he had a decent series despite not putting up points. Simmonds on the other hand had an awful series.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That is just an odd thing to say considering he was 2nd in the league in even strength points this year.
The Flyers transition structure was responsible for his ES production this year, which of course was gameplanned for in the playoffs.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Skating is just so important now. I think he will get points with his IQ, shot and skill. But his overall game is not close to elite when the stakes rise. He simply can't separate and bring it unless he cherry picks and even then he can't generate that needed beat the defender to the goal.

Yep I agree. The only time he finds open ice in the transition game is when he’s cheating up ice. Maybe that’s why he was -10. Maybe also why he now plays wing. Kudos for your assessment.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
After such an impressive season, I can't believe he has been as poor as he has been in the playoffs. He has one point and is -7. The last time he faced the Penguins in the playoffs, he really lit them up, too.

Also, Wayne Simmonds really seems overrated. I'm not just basing this on this series. I don't recall ever being impressed enough by him to justify some people's perception of the guy.

MEH.

Giroux and Simmonds are both still awesome players. Anything can happen in the playoffs, and anyone can get shut down by an opposing team.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
was one guy i was scared of most(not only of his scoring but also of his booty groping abilities), happy he didn't show up this series. Still a beast though

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
Giroux was certainly a non-factor this series, which is surprising since he had a case for MVP in the regular season. I think the biggest surprise to me wasn't just how rarely he was on the score sheet but how deflated he seemed any time things started to turn against the Flyers. He would throw his hands over his head, stare into space... he looked defeated any time the deficit was greater than one, and that lack of leadership can turn a game and a series.

By in large, Philadelphia is a pretty young team and given where they were a season ago, the playoff experience will do the whole roster good. But Giroux has been around long enough that his play can only be described as disappointing.

Meanwhile, Couturier really stepped his game up and showed what grit looks like. If you're a Flyer looking for an on-ice leader, it was definitely not Giroux this series.

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
Penguins exposed Giroux, Gostisbejere, Simmonds and Voracek for frauds they really are.

What? And you are a Flyers fan? Seems like a troll to me.

Cherry picks? That sounds like the Penguins. 34 goals and 68 goals says otherwise. You would know that if you actually watched the Flyers with your black and gold glasses on.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Goaltending? Pens blew out 3 Vezina goalies to get cup. They make good goalies look like steaming piles of ****.
Well it's just that, it's been known for a long time that goalies in philly are a revolving door. In 2015-16 they allowed 14 goals and lost in round 1, 2013-2014 allowed 19 goals and lost in round 1, this year allowed 28 goals , lost in round 1. You're not going to win giving up 28 goals in 6 games.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Nolan Patrick and Couturier looked great. Flyers should considering trading Giroux and Voracek while their value is high and see what they could get back

Simmonds too. Didn't notice him until he roughed up Letang

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad