what teams most likely to be sold

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Toronto and Montreal.
Montreal for sure, I hear they are going bankrupt. Also Jeffrey Loria is planing to buy and move them to San Antonio with the Marlins.

San Antonio Canadiens!!!
:lol:

For a serious response ... depending on how the court situation plays out, Atlanta might be forced into a sale. Everyone else is either on reasonably solid footing or has owners who will never voluntarily sell.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
:lol:

For a serious response ... depending on how the court situation plays out, Atlanta might be forced into a sale. Everyone else is either on reasonably solid footing or has owners who will never voluntarily sell.

Of course you omit the obvious - Pittsburgh - sale pending.

The sale to Balsillie still has to be approved by the BOG.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Of course you omit the obvious - Pittsburgh - sale pending.

The sale to Balsillie still has to be approved by the BOG.
I think the question asked about going forward. (That's how I read it.) But yes, technically Pittsburgh should be on the list.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
I'm not surprised by the fact that Atlanta seems to be a popular choice. Regardless of who ends up the winner in this ownership battle, they'll have to end up selling some of the stake they acquire to pay for it. There are several potential people waiting in the wings to buy into the ownership. NBA Hall of Famer Dominique Wilkins is supposed to be buying a small stake in Atlanta Spirit, but with the soap opera going on, that purchase is on hold.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the two local groups who tried to buy the Braves ends up owning the team in the future. Arthur Blank, owner of the Falcons and the Georgia Force of the AFL (who play @ Philips Arena) and a group led by local real estate executive Ron Terwilliger and Lew Dickey, CEO of Cumulus Media (680 The Fan, which broadcasts Thrashers games, is owned by the Dickey Family, but is a separate company from Cumulus.) both tried to buy the Braves from Time-Warner before they decided to do a deal with Liberty Media.

MoMiester

Oct 26, 2006
I hear Atlanta but all it is going to take for Atlanta to have a good year and the future is wide open.

As I read on another board, just walk into Phillips arena and you see the corporate sponsorship capability.

The Thrashers corporate support include (and the Corp. HQ are located in Atlanta) Home Depot, Delta Airlines, and UPS just to mention a few. Those are nice friends to have in your city. Not to mention all the other small, medium and large business in Atlanta.

Now the city is known for its "not so great fan support" for its teams, but it is just going to take a winning season and a decent playoff run to get this ship off the docks....and I think this is the year.

And no telling what companies will pay to get their trucks, bank name, store to drive across the TV screen in every sports bar and bar in Atlanta, not to mention some of the homes with such a large population.

I do think the reason Atlanta has trouble with attendance is it takes so long to drive anywhere due to all the people and traffic, especially on a weekend nite.

Yea, Atlanta has struggled and for a big market, they still do but let this thing light up,, they will be changing Peachtree St to Kovalchuk Avenue.

.......and I don't live in Atlanta

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I hear Atlanta but all it is going to take for Atlanta to have a good year and the future is wide open.

As I read on another board, just walk into Phillips arena and you see the corporate sponsorship capability.

The Thrashers corporate support include (and the Corp. HQ are located in Atlanta) Home Depot, Delta Airlines, and UPS just to mention a few. Those are nice friends to have in your city. Not to mention all the other small, medium and large business in Atlanta.

Now the city is known for its "not so great fan support" for its teams, but it is just going to take a winning season and a decent playoff run to get this ship off the docks....and I think this is the year.
Everything you mentioned isn't why people are suggesting Atlanta. The fact that the ownership group is bitterly split and already fighting it out in court is *much* more likely to result in a forced sale.

MoMiester

Oct 26, 2006
Everything you mentioned isn't why people are suggesting Atlanta. The fact that the ownership group is bitterly split and already fighting it out in court is *much* more likely to result in a forced sale.

They mention the ownership but that is not why people mention Atlanta. They mention Atlanta because of their complete wrong assumption and say things like:

"it is in the south, a new team and since they were not around back in 1986 or part of the WHA or in Cananda, they don't deserve a team....besides, they don't even know what offsides is and they have a Nascar race there and that is all they care about and wrestling and tractor pulls are what the people like, not hockey like "insert name" does here because I watch it every Saturday night in my lazy boy. Besides, people "down there" are just hicks"

Sorry ownership in Atlanta has issues, but that is not why people mention Atlanta. When Atlanta does well, it is on to the next subbelt team to trash.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Atlanta may not even need the fan support of they got the corporate support. You could find a lot of places to go where there will be fan support, but if there is no corporate support, there is no shot.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
They mention the ownership but that is not why people mention Atlanta. They mention Atlanta because of their complete wrong assumption and say things like:

Sorry ownership in Atlanta has issues, but that is not why people mention Atlanta. When Atlanta does well, it is on to the next subbelt team to trash.

What's a sub-belt team? It sounds delicious. Accompanied by a sensible dinner, it might even be a weight loss strategy.

FoppaArGud

Jan 18, 2006
PHILLY
Rumor has the Caps being shopped

I have read in a couple of columns recently that some investors have mentioned opportunity to buy into the Caps in pretty large shares. Nothing concrete, it always says "an investor reports" and one even said "subtle overtures" toward a sale but just throwing it out there.

There are a lot of pretty cheap teams out there, hell last year the Canes were valued well under $100M weren't they? You have to wonder why those teams would take such a huge loss by selling, so as speculated above I dont think the southern teams are going to get moved unless they are nearing bankruptcy (is Atlanta really? I havent been down there in a couple years, was pretty empty at that point though)

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

"it is in the south, a new team and since they were not around back in 1986 or part of the WHA or in Cananda, they don't deserve a team....besides, they don't even know what offsides is and they have a Nascar race there and that is all they care about and wrestling and tractor pulls are what the people like, not hockey like "insert name" does here because I watch it every Saturday night in my lazy boy. Besides, people "down there" are just hicks"
And if that's why they mention Atlanta, they're completely wrong.

NassauIsles82*

The Islanders:sarcasm: That would be the best day of my life.

if the Islanders were ever sold the new owners wouldnt keep them on Long Island, I can just about guarantee you that,, do you remember the days before Wang? Yes Wang may be a loony but if it wasnt for him I can just about guarantee you the Islanders would be in worse shape,, do you remember the mid 90s until Wang bought the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad