What team won the year you were born?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Now, let's see, can't resist a little music nerdery myself. My favourites from 1974 include e.g. Little Feat's Feats Don't Fail Me Now, Steely Dan's Prezel Logic, Joni Mitchell's Court And Spark, Big Star's Radio City, Deep Purple's Burn...
As far as prog goes, King Crimson's Red wins for me. Genesis' best came out a year later imo (A Trick Of The Tail).

... wait a minute.... your a Finn.... and no love for Humpaa Musica?..... or for the Hurriganes? Roadrunner released in 74..... Very influential album/band in Finland, Sweden etc..... in 74, Frank Zappa played 2 sell out concerts in Helsinki however, very nearly cancelled as he burned his fingers at Restaurant Saslik when he greedily grabbed a red hot shish kebab.... dousing his fingers in a glass of Coke.....

.... Jumalani. Hell of a scene. :scared:

Reactions: ehhedler

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
'66 Montreal Canadiens: Led by captain Jean Beliveau and backstopped by the incomparable Gump Worsley, the Habs came back from a 2-0 goal deficit to defeat the boys from Detroit in 6 games.

Canadiens_1966-1.jpg

Reactions: Killion

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
... wait a minute.... your a Finn.... and no love for Humpaa Musica?..... or for the Hurriganes? Roadrunner released in 74..... Very influential album/band in Finland, Sweden etc..... in 74, Frank Zappa played 2 sell out concerts in Helsinki however, very nearly cancelled as he burned his fingers at Restaurant Saslik when he greedily grabbed a red hot shish kebab.... dousing his fingers in a glass of Coke.....

.... Jumalani. Hell of a scene. :scared:

My favorites from 74:

Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot (how'd you miss that, oh son of Canada?)

Planet Waves - Dylan

Heart Like a Wheel - Lovely Linda (Ronstadt)

The Heart of Saturday Night - Waits (my favorite)

Veedon Fleece - Van the Man

Late for the Sky - Jackson (always down) Browne

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Oh ya? 1931?.... Same season of 30/31 Johnny Black Cat Gagnon made the club, scoring 6 goals in 10 Playoff games on a line with Howie Morenz & Aurel Joliat.... Johnny often overlooked, forgotten playing with a Superstar & the much loved Joliat.... Gagnon could fly, all 5'5"'s of him, maybe 135lbs sopping wet. Actually had to cheat in order to convince Leo Dandurand to even give him a tryout with the Habs, Leo figuring no way, this kid was way too small & light to play in the NHL....

So Johnny there, not to be put off demanded Leo get him on the scales having claimed he weighed over 150, Dandurand agreed & sure enough, tipped the scales at 150+... shook hands, tryout arranged... and when Johnny left the building & Leo behind... emptied his pockets of the 15lbs worth of rocks he'd stuffed into them along with every other possible orifice & never looked back.... made the club easy peasey & top line. Magic.

You remember Johnny? Ha? Played through til about 39 or so I believe.... tough childhood.... family of 11, dirt poor, one mean SOB of an Old Man who'd chase Johnny down & break his hockey sticks if he caught him playing rather than working & playing absolutely forbidden 24/7-365.... Yep. Johnny Gagnon. One of the most colorful players to have ever played in the NHL, any league.... How lucky you were Flamer... to be born when you were, eye witness to so much history.... "Habs". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Flamer12

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I was a newborn when Gretzky and the Oilers won Cup #3. The Edmonton Eskimos would win the Grey Cup the following November. As successful as both franchises were in the 80s decade, this was actually the only year they both won their respective championships. Guess I was the good luck charm.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Alrighty then. Roadrunner, Juice Leskinen & Coitus Int's Per Vers, runoilija, Kaseva's Silloin kun, Dave "Isokynä" Lindholm & Orfeus' Musiikkia, to name a few. Wigwam's Live Music From The Twilight Zone too (probably my favourite Finnish band of all-time but I'm not so crazy about their 1974 studio offering Being).
Hurriganes had some good success in Sweden (especially in concerts), but I think nowadays Swedish people know/remember Arja Saijonmaa and M.A. Numminen a little better. Anyway, their (most) legendary guitarist Albert Järvinen was especially celebrated also outside Finland, by people like Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello and Lemmy. There was some talk about him joining Dr. Feelgood too.
BTW, care to name those great Finnish humppa albums from 1974 that I've missed? :sarcasm:

Sorry if this 'nonsense' is getting too far... :cool:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Sorry if this 'nonsense' is getting too far... :cool:

... yep... time to reel er' back in a bit..... and as such one last musical reference..... as in 1974 one of the founding members of Elakelaiset was born (maybe you?), a Finnish Humppa & Jenhaa music genre band, very popular in Germany as well mostly playing beer halls, smaller venues, social clubs etc & who according to the members of Elakelaiset, are on a mission from God thwarting evil & the mathematical formulae of pop music....

... now.... back to hockey.... and you'll no doubt remember at less than a few months of age or perhaps absorbed while waiting to hatch as your Mom listened to hometown team HIFK win the SM-sarja league Championship on the Telefunken in 1974.... Ha? Mita?. Thats allowed. I make the Rules Baby..... Then the following year, 1975 - the SM-liiga created, going pro from the amateur sarja league.... all really quite interesting, that it wasnt until 75 that full on pro hockey hit the country though certainly a requirement given that some clubs & players in the sarja were not exactly "amateurs". Some great players from those earlier years.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Canadiens beat the Leafs. It was a long time ago! I believe that I have seen only 1 or 2 older winners.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Bruins, led by the first repeat Conn Smythe winner in history, but with some dark clouds robbing an edge of the perfect joy.

1975 - the SM-liiga created, going pro from the amateur sarja league.... all really quite interesting, that it wasnt until 75 that full on pro hockey hit the country though certainly a requirement given that some clubs & players in the sarja were not exactly "amateurs".

It took about 15 more years before most of the players actually were fulltime pros.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Awesome. Leap Year.... Mattel introduces Hot Wheels. Zoom Zoom.... The Beatles form Apple Records, release The White Album.... Rowan & Martins Laugh-In airs.... Trudeau Mania sweeps Canada, elected Prime Minister.... Winter Olympics held in Grenoble.... first Big Mac goes on sale, sells for .49 cents.... and Montreal easily handling Boston (4-0), Chicago (4-1) and St Louis (4-0 with Glenn Hall playing heroically & who won the Conn Smythe but... no chance) on their way to the Cup.... after Toronto had spoiled their Birthday Party the previous year, Expo 67....

Now.... See what I did there Leaflander?.... Make everything about Toronto... Just follow my lead Son. :welcome:

Reactions: cupcrazyman

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Blackhawks. Hint: I"m older than 8, but nowhere near 80.

...... Nineteen hunnert n' sixty one?..... and your still playing rec hockey into your 50's thinkin you'd like to master the ability to handle passes & then one time it on one knee in close through traffic on the down lo?.... Ya nutz Old Timer?.... Ha?.... Have a good medical plan do you?... Arthroscopic surgeon?.... Chiropractor? o_O

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I was born in Pittsburgh, in between the '91 and '92 Stanley Cups. I was born in November, so it's almost directly in the middle of the two Cups.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
...... Nineteen hunnert n' sixty one?..... and your still playing rec hockey into your 50's thinkin you'd like to master the ability to handle passes & then one time it on one knee in close through traffic on the down lo?.... Ya nutz Old Timer?.... Ha?.... Have a good medical plan do you?... Arthroscopic surgeon?.... Chiropractor? o_O

The "young" guys in our league are in their upper 40's, and some of them can still actually bend their knees.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The "young" guys in our league are in their upper 40's, and some of them can still actually bend their knees.

... well, you have my admiration, still playing into your 50's & likely 60's, as long as your able. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad