What team won the year you were born?

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Philadelphia Flyers (1974).

I've watched a couple of the available final games vs the Bruins online, and enjoyed them. The Flyers could play a bit too!

Reactions: Killion

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
New York’s finest:

220px-Logo_New_York_Islanders.svg.png

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Looks like this one...

They look confident with the Cup, and they should -- over the two seasons after this, their wins/losses in the regular season was 159 - 18.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
On the day I was born a 23-year-old Conn Smythe-winning Serge Savard (the 1st defenseman to win it) scored the opening goal early, Jacques Lemaire scored another in the second period and Dick Duff scored two insurance goals, each from Beliveau and Cournoyer, as the Habs overwhelmed goalie Jacques Plante, defensemen Al Arbour and the three Plager brothers, and losing home team leaders in shots Terry Crisp and Red Berenson, with Scotty Bowman behind the Blues bench in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals. That put Montreal up 3-0 in the series, a stranglehold that gave them a second consecutive cup,...

... a shortlived triumph... as a year later, two days after my 1st birthday, another defenseman youngster named Bobby Orr began his Finals debut, solidifying his Conn Smythe trophy as he continued his journey to Lord Stanley's Finals glory, beginning with a Game 1 victory over the very same Plante-backed, Arbour and Plager bluelined (though only two of the three brothers this time), Red Berenson and Terry Crisp forward struggling, Bowman-coached Blues club.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Philadelphia Flyers (1974).

I've watched a couple of the available final games vs the Bruins online, and enjoyed them. The Flyers could play a bit too!

They could indeed & I remember watching it well, having headed up to the family cottage on an island north of Toronto as the ice had left early that year, able to get there by boat, watching it all unfold from the semi's on on a grainy little black & white 12" portable TV, no antenna.... but for what was built-in.... the picture constantly fading in & out & usually at critical moments... though it may have been the Molson Stock Ale.... Tequila..... other unmentionables, combustibles...... but ya, they surely could play.... Barber, MacLeish, Clarke, Bernie Parent.... Dornhoefer extremely effective....

Amazing really and as much of a fan as I was of the Bruins players I was remember quite ecstatic with Phillys win. It was a huge deal at the time. First Expansion club to win it all, and they did so in what seemed like record time as just a few seasons earlier, circa 67/68 on just no way you wouldve ever predicted such an eventuality given how the Expansion Draft had been so lopsided, how easily the Blues had been handled & so on. The Flyers of course got a lot of criticism for how they went about it but over-looked is the fact that they could absolutely play. Some great players, a real "Team". Its little wonder Bobby Clarke is so revered in Philly, southern PA. Despite his foibles, violent propensities, when he really buckled down & played, well, that guy could seriously play. Very very effective. Great Leader of that Crew, Gang. A style emulated by some rivals in the NHL, by Junior clubs... carved out a real identity, "Flyers Hockey". And the City absolutely loved it, went nuts. The NHL in Philadelphia "iffy" during its formative years.

Ken Dryden in one of his books, I think it was "The Game" recounts how over-joyed he was in 76 when the Canadiens finally put an end to the "Flyers Reign of Terror" or however he characterized it. I was divided on the matter. On the one hand sure, happy to see the artistry, grace of the game overcoming some of the nonsense employed by the Flyers, their act had grown to be a bit much, tired.... on the other hand, I thought they shouldve re-tooled a bit, gotten some high end talent in trading some muscle away, turned that negative to a positive but didnt do so out of loyalty.... admirable on one hand but in this game, your only as good as your next shift, next Cup, and youve gotta do what youve gotta do. Thereafter & always really, throughout their years in the League always a very respectable performance, also rans many a season. Ed Snider one of the greatest owners in the history of the game. Total Gentleman and a voice of reason around the Board of Governors table. So yep, I was happy they won, repeats at that, wasnt a fluke, knew exactly what they were doing. They got my respect.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This going to be a recurring theme for those of us of a certain vintage I'm afraid :nod:

Several vintages Chief.... we have guys born in the 40's so 44 & 46 (guys now in their 70's) then you have the 50's, 1953 followed by the 1st Major Dynasty of 56/57/58/59/60 (guys in their late 50's & 60's).... then youve got those born in the 60's & the Forgotten Dynasty, 71 & 73 included... then the late 70's Dynasty.... 1986 (32yr olds) & 1993 (25yr olds)... Thats a lot of history huh? ;)

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Several vintages Chief.... we have guys born in the 40's so 44 & 46 (guys now in their 70's) then you have the 50's, 1953 followed by the 1st Major Dynasty of 56/57/58/59/60 (guys in their late 50's & 60's).... then youve got those born in the 60's & the Forgotten Dynasty, 71 & 73 included... then the late 70's Dynasty.... 1986 (32yr olds) & 1993 (25yr olds)... Thats a lot of history huh? ;)

Yup. They covered a lot of ground in those days

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Thanks guys. Not many places online that I feel a bit young these days! :naughty:

.... yeah, 1969 huh VanIsle.... seems like yesterday.... the Beatles released Abbey Road, the Stones Let it Bleed, Brian Jones found dead in his swimming pool.... Concert in Hyde Park staged, 100,000 people showup.... Led Zeppelin 1 & II released.... Apollo Moon Landings.... Tate~LaBianca murders in LA, Manson Family.... the end of Peace, Love & Understanding, Death of the 60's.... born into a shotgun hurricane son..... havin fun so far?

Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
.... yeah, 1969 huh VanIsle.... seems like yesterday.... the Beatles released Abbey Road, the Stones Let it Bleed, Brian Jones found dead in his swimming pool.... Concert in Hyde Park staged, 100,000 people showup.... Led Zeppelin 1 & II released.... Apollo Moon Landings.... Tate~LaBianca murders in LA, Manson Family.... the end of Peace, Love & Understanding, Death of the 60's.... born into a shotgun hurricane son..... havin fun so far?
Now you're just showin' off! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad