Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Philly got:

Carter and Richards

Anaheim got:
Getzlaf and Perry

IMO Philly's picks are less risky but less upside. I see Carter as being a 1 line player one day and Richards being a great all around player. IMO Anaheim has more potential if Getzlaf and Perry both reach there full potential. I see Getzlaf being on the first line and Perry I dunno, he's my favorite player but i'm not convinced he'll have as successful NHL career like his OHL career. He's so dominant in juniors but is he strong enough to handle the NHL. He played very well I thought w/ Crosby and Bergeron and could have had 10 assists.

Carter > very slightly over Getzlaf
Richards is a safer pick than Perry, but Perry has higher offensive potential. But Richards is a heart and soul type of player and every team needs them.

Either way, these teams got the most in the first round without being in top 10 in along time.

leafaholix*

Jeff Carter > Mike Richards > Ryan Getzlaf > Corey Perry

I'm not that high on Getzlaf, though he was pretty good in the WJC.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
To me its clearly Philly. Carter over Getzlaf is a choice i'd make without thinking all that much about it. Also, despite Perrys rise in stature on these boards, to me, he remains a very iffy prospect. I'd take Richards over Perry without thinking twice.

mooseOAK*

Getzlaf has more of the body size and strength than Carter which makes him a better NHL prospect, IMO. I don't see Carter winning too many battles for the puck from NHL defencemen unless he finds a way to bulk up.

leafaholix*

mooseOAK said:
Getzlaf has more of the body size and strength than Carter which makes him a better NHL prospect, IMO. I don't see Carter winning too many battles for the puck from NHL defencemen unless he finds a way to bulk up.
That's just wrong.

Jeff Carter showed the he can control a play physically... the guy's a little lanky, but he has that escapability that you can't teach.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Carl O'Steen said:
That's just wrong.

Jeff Carter showed the he can control a play physically... the guy's a little lanky, but he has that escapability that you can't teach.

Besides the fact that he put on considerable weight the last two years, and there's no reason to think he can't put on more.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
J17ster said:
Don't wanna be annoying but the Panthers got more. Horton and Stewart!
Out of the two its gotta be the Flyers

hm, disagree. At this point, I'd actually rather have Jeff Carter than oft-injured Nathan Horton...and Richards\Stewart is about a wash, at this point.

I think the Flyers had a great first round, and even remember that the Carter pick was questioned at the time. Glad it worked out for them.

As for the Ducks...Getzlaf will be a good one, but something about Perry screams "AHL scorer" to me.

mooseOAK*

Carl O'Steen said:
That's just wrong.

Sure, when he is the oldest and biggest player on the ice. Skinny guys like him aren't going to be pushing NHL players around very often.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
mooseOAK said:
Sure, when he is the oldest and biggest player on the ice. Skinny guys like him aren't going to be pushing NHL players around very often.

I'm sure he'll add some bulk.

Oh and it's definitely Philly here.

Carter>Getzlaf>Richards>Perry

I think that Getzlaf and Richards can easily be switched around but I think Getzlaf has a little more potential.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Getlaz is so underrated on these boards its crazy. When Carter was scoring his goals this year it was Getlaz most of the time doing his slick stickhandling and setting him up. The guy has such good hands for such a big guy. Once he puts it altogether the guy will be very dominating. He has the mean streak to play physical and dominate. The hands to wow you. And the size to control defenseman once he matures.

UWSaint

Dec 28, 2004
Wisconsin
mooseOAK said:

He is the biggest player on the ice because he, like the other guys on the ice, are teenagers.

When he plays in the NHL (not if, when; I am high on Carter) he will add strength and mass. Don't forget, the NHL players of today were being pushed around by the likes of Carter in juniors, and they are being (relatively) pushed around by the likes big forwards today. . . .

mooseOAK*

UWSaint said:
He is the biggest player on the ice because he, like the other guys on the ice, are teenagers.

When he plays in the NHL (not if, when; I am high on Carter) he will add strength and mass. Don't forget, the NHL players of today were being pushed around by the likes of Carter in juniors, and they are being (relatively) pushed around by the likes big forwards today. . . .

The NHL defencemen of today for the most part were big in junior also. A lot of the teams that Carter plays against don't have one of those guys but in the NHL every team has a number of them.

People think or hope that Carter will add the pounds to play a power type of game in the NHL however Getzlaf is already there.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Carter > Getzlaf

Richards > Perry

I expect Richards to turn into a Selke Candidate one day who is a great leader, Kris Draper comes to mind.

Carter and Getzlaf are both pretty good prospects in my books and I put Carter a bit higher.

Perry and Getzlaf were pretty good picks. Perry is very risky, but has very good offensive weapons and he could turn out to be a big time scorer.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Also i'd expect Philly to have a bit better picks with Carter at 10 and Richards at 25
and Anaheim with Getzlaf at 19 and Perry at 28

Philly: 10+25 = 35
Ana: 19+28 = 47.

and florida 3 + ? (stewart) = high 20's
So yes Philly probably did get the better players (safer picks) but Anaheim did very well w/ where they drafted the guys.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
nomorekids said:
I think the Flyers had a great first round, and even remember that the Carter pick was questioned at the time. Glad it worked out for them.

yeah, when the Flyers selected Carte 11th overall, I remember saying whaaaaat? but to Clarke's credit, they ended up being great picks.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
FlyersGuy69 said:
yeah, when the Flyers selected Carte 11th overall, I remember saying whaaaaat? but to Clarke's credit, they ended up being great picks.

Same, i'm from London, Ontario where Carter is from and never heard of him. But he was a great pick looking back now.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Carl O'Steen said:
Jeff Carter > Mike Richards > Ryan Getzlaf > Corey Perry

I'm not that high on Getzlaf, though he was pretty good in the WJC.

nope:

Cater>Getzlaf>Perry>Richards

Its a draw...one team got 1 and 4 one team got 2 and 3.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
i think Richards is starting to get over-rated from his jr's and WJC success, granted he is a very good prospect, i think he will end up being a captain some day but only a 3rd line centre

Perry i haven't been a fan of either

how i see it
Carter>Getzlaf>Richards>Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad