What speed is a "good" slapshot?

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
come on, you're shooting the puck 92 mph and you are asking on a hockey board what a good speed is? Have you ever seen the All-Star Skills competition? Some of the Pros even have trouble breaking 90....

Either your story is fabricated or your radar gun is malfunctioning...

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
Maybe you were getting some funky readings, because, as has been stated, 92 is very good for a PROFESSIONAL athlete. Getting 2 at 84 and one at 92 seems strange. I would guess that 84 was better than your other shots. How many shots did you take total?

If you honestly do have a slapshot over 80 mph on a good radar gun, then you should be very happy.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I dont think its unrealistic. Several of our bantam Minors(94's) are clocking at 65-75 MPH on a calibrated certified radar platform from the local PD. Some of our squirts have been clocked from 55-60 MPH. When you hit the 90's your in that upper bracket. Hit 100's and your in the elite.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
its not unrealistic at all. do you guys remember that guy on making the cut. he had played hockey for 2 years or something and he shot it at 94 mph i think. guys outside the NHL can also have a good shot. maybe the hardest shooting guy in the world dont even play in the NHL.

good job dude. 92 mph is hard as hell.

FutureConsiderations

Dec 29, 2005
Brookline, MA
Is that 92 on ice or on concrete or something? Puck and not ball, correct?

There is a guy I play with on Sundays who has a shot in the 90's consistently - used to play at St. A's.

The point is, guys outside of the NHL can still have great shots by professional standards, but will never play in the league if they can't keep up pace and don't have the hockey sense it requires.

GSK*

I don't get why people are so amazed about 92mph. Its good true, but there is two guys the winter at the rink who slap the puck over 90mph and there aren't good for anything else. and BTW 92mph on a dead puck or when someone is feeding you the puck. Two different slapshot.

Raoul Duke*

Accuracy is what matters with a shot. When I was in Bantam, I loved my ability to be a faceoff God, and backchecking ability.Always knew I had a hard as hell slapshot. Then my coach put me on the point in the middle of a game I thought I was dominant in.

I lost it, didn't want to play, but then he took me aside and was all - "you're fast, and you understand the game better than most people on the ice. You need open ice. And you can shoot, so just shoot"

First shift, I was staring at the center, all pissed off that it should be me. He drew it back to me, I took 2 steps over, and slapped that thing for all I was worth. DING. And everyone cheering, wired it off the post and in. That split second my entire hockey life changed lol. Even my eyes opened, like "holy .... he was right, I had all the time in the world"

Anyway, ended up with a hattrick just firing pucks with accuracy. There was a guy on the other unit that could shoot it probably 95mph at 15... but he had no accuracy. But from then on, I was "that guy" on defense on the PP. And in clutch moments, take the faceoffs, then go back to the point - and shoot.

This is where it gets gay - that moment changed my entire hockey life, ended up in the SJHL, and the WHL for a bit. Anyone ever see the movie "Signs" where he's all "Just swing Merill, swing" - it's like the movie moment that chokes me up, because I remember my coach being all "Just shoot".

JMR27

Jan 3, 2006
Well my first 2 were just in front of the net and the 3rd was a pass to me in the high slot. Though I skated into that one. I'm know where near a pro , but good. maybe I just caught the puck better on the last one.

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
That's not that bad, some of my teammates can only hit 65 but are great players the speed of a slapper doesn't matter that much, it's your skating and wrister.

Ya i make up for it with my speed though.. And im only 15 5'11 157 lbs so i dont put much strenght in it.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
Accuracy is what matters with a shot. When I was in Bantam, I loved my ability to be a faceoff God, and backchecking ability.Always knew I had a hard as hell slapshot. Then my coach put me on the point in the middle of a game I thought I was dominant in.

I lost it, didn't want to play, but then he took me aside and was all - "you're fast, and you understand the game better than most people on the ice. You need open ice. And you can shoot, so just shoot"

First shift, I was staring at the center, all pissed off that it should be me. He drew it back to me, I took 2 steps over, and slapped that thing for all I was worth. DING. And everyone cheering, wired it off the post and in. That split second my entire hockey life changed lol. Even my eyes opened, like "holy .... he was right, I had all the time in the world"

Anyway, ended up with a hattrick just firing pucks with accuracy. There was a guy on the other unit that could shoot it probably 95mph at 15... but he had no accuracy. But from then on, I was "that guy" on defense on the PP. And in clutch moments, take the faceoffs, then go back to the point - and shoot.

This is where it gets gay - that moment changed my entire hockey life, ended up in the SJHL, and the WHL for a bit. Anyone ever see the movie "Signs" where he's all "Just swing Merill, swing" - it's like the movie moment that chokes me up, because I remember my coach being all "Just shoot".

hockeydb link?

Transported Upstater

hockeydb link?

He should probably do it in PM if he provides you with a link, just in case. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->