What should be done with Jiricek?

What should the CBJ do with Jiricek?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Jiricek has averaged 14:13 minutes per game in 30 games this season. Based on perusing game day threads, many people are unhappy with his usage. What would you do with Jiricek to maximize his development?

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
If he's going to be up then play him more. If you want to maximize his development send him down. What we are doing with him is kind of ridiculous in my opinion
He does seem to be in a no-mans-land with the big club. I don't think he's been terrible with the CBJ but, especially if he's going to continue to get <15 minutes/night, I like the idea of him going to the Monsters for what should be a playoff run (i.e. play heavy minutes in many meaningful games).

Reactions: koteka and thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He does seem to be in a no-mans-land with the big club. I don't think he's been terrible with the CBJ but, especially if he's going to continue to get <15 minutes/night, I like the idea of him going to the Monsters for what should be a playoff run (i.e. play heavy minutes in many meaningful games).
I just hate protecting a player from nothing. Either let him try those minutes and see how he responds or just send him down. Right now hes probably just a player who feels he's not trusted and I hope they dont "coach" any of the aggression out of him. We just watch Luke Hughes have a pretty meh game but the team kept playing him a normal shift and they were rewarded.

I think Jiricek has been very good in many games for a rookie D but regardless of how he plays hes treated the same which is nonsense. Id send him down and can play 20+ minutes, PP and hopefully also PK and get him away from Columbus for his and our own good long term

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Play the freakin Kids .. it’s not hard .. once a period occurs where it appears to be too much , back off a little . Plus minus isn’t everything , but he’s plus one on the season . Pascal lets the kids play , they carry the game for large stretches , and then he micromanages the game at the end and we wonder why we keep losing all these games . Many times f the best possession players are the young kids , yet at the end he defaults to limiting their minute . Last night was ridiculous, Werenski gets hurt , Jiricek was playing well , had 3 hits as well in his limited minutes , and he gets stapled to the bench .

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Play the freakin Kids .. it’s not hard .. once a period occurs where it appears to be too much , back off a little . Plus minus isn’t everything , but he’s plus one on the season . Pascal lets the kids play , they carry the game for large stretches , and then he micromanages the game at the end and we wonder why we keep losing all these games . Many times f the best possession players are the young kids , yet at the end he defaults to limiting their minute . Last night was ridiculous, Werenski gets hurt , Jiricek was playing well , had 3 hits as well in his limited minutes , and he gets stapled to the bench .

The Russian line was on the ice for both of the game tying goals and the game winning goal was caused by a “kid” fanning on the puck. Even marchenko and chinny are on the pk unit now

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The Russian line was on the ice for both of the game tying goals and the game winning goal was caused by a “kid” fanning on the puck. Even marchenko and chinny are on the pk unit now
And they by far have been the best line this team has .. nowhere did I say there wouldn’t be peaks and valleys . Yet overtime comes , and Fantill was stapled to the bench .. Jiricek was stapled to the bench for the 3rd … Who were the defenseman on the ice for that shift btw ? Pretty sure Gud was one

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Is anyone really surprised by this? This has been Jarmos MO since day one. Brick by brick my ass :biglaugh:

Edit: @ "Play the kids." All they have is kids pretty much.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jiricek should be assigned to the gym.

Come back when you can squat enough.

**The gym is in Cleveland, where the game schedule allows him to lift part of the week.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jiricek should be assigned to the gym.

Come back when you can squat enough.

**The gym is in Cleveland, where the game schedule allows him to lift part of the week.
Lots of core work. Its actually crazy how many athletes are poor at lifting. Would be cool if they could get him in with someone like Gary Roberts during the offseason but thats just a dream

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Lots of core work. Its actually crazy how many athletes are poor at lifting. Would be cool if they could get him in with someone like Gary Roberts during the offseason but thats just a dream

Feel like a few of our players, especially Werenski and Laine, would benefit training with Adam Oates in the offseason. Anticipating and preparing for contact and tight area skill are two things he's huge on

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Feel like a few of our players, especially Werenski and Laine, would benefit training with Adam Oates in the offseason. Anticipating and preparing for contact and tight area skill are two things he's huge on

Adamantium fusing is what they need

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He just turned 20. I don't see any problem with his usage to this point. 14 minutes per game isn't exactly stapling him to the bench. Sheltering him a bit on a lousy team is probably the best long term strategy.

I'd rather see him develop slowly in the NHL. He's already holding his own and playing against lesser opposition in the AHL doesn't seem necessary to me. I don't think it aids his progression. In fact, it may slow it down.

The idea that he's going to change his physique much by playing/working out in the AHL vs. the NHL doesn't hold water. I'm pretty sure that the gym equipment and training resources in Columbus are as good as they are in Cleveland. Bulk development is an off season task.

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He just turned 20. I don't see any problem with his usage to this point. 14 minutes per game isn't exactly stapling him to the bench. Sheltering him a bit on a lousy team is probably the best long term strategy.

I'd rather see him develop slowly in the NHL. He's already holding his own and playing against lesser opposition in the AHL doesn't seem necessary to me. I don't think it aids his progression. In fact, it may slow it down.

The idea that he's going to change his physique much by playing/working out in the AHL vs. the NHL doesn't hold water. I'm pretty sure that the gym equipment and training resources in Columbus are as good as they are in Cleveland. Bulk development is an off season task.
The muscle growth midseason is pretty overrated but playing against lesser opponents in all situations is massive to progression. Playing every situation vs playing the 1st 40 minutes of an NHL game with no special teams is not a bad thing

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
The muscle growth midseason is pretty overrated but playing against lesser opponents in all situations is massive to progression. Playing every situation vs playing the 1st 40 minutes of an NHL game with no special teams is not a bad thing

No reason to keep him off the PP in CBJ.

Reactions: LJ7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad