What should a #1 pick bring in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Every year, teams make ridiculous demands and get really small offers. We all know about the Lindros trade. We also know Scott Stevens brought 5 #1's and that was a bad deal for Washington. So what is a #1 like Sidney Crosby worth? What would it cost to acquire him?

Seems to me a fair beginning point is 3 quality players. 2 quality players does not make up the gap. So lets say you talk Chicago. You ask for Barker, Babchuck and Chicago's 1st? Would you ask for more? That would decimate their defense but provide a great offensive player. Would they consider it? What is the determining factor that would make a deal? If that is too much. just Barker and Babchuck is too little. What approach should be taken?

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Hard to say...I would say that you are overpaying with your proposal. Barker was taken fourth ovreall and statwise, he's having a great year. Babchuk will be a NHL player sonner or later and a first round pick could be a top 5 pick so I would do it if I was the team who have the first ovreall pick!

As for what it take to have the first overall pick, a team will probably look more for some etablish players with potential. In 2001, Montreal propose Markov, Garon, Zednik, 7th overall and 25th overall and they turned down the offert at the last minute!

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Hard to say...I would say that you are overpaying with your proposal. Barker was taken fourth ovreall and statwise, he's having a great year. Babchuk will be a NHL player sonner or later and a first round pick could be a top 5 pick so I would do it if I was the team who have the first ovreall pick!

As for what it take to have the first overall pick, a team will probably look more for some etablish players with potential. In 2001, Montreal propose Markov, Garon, Zednik, 7th overall and 25th overall and they turned down the offert at the last minute!

I don't think there is one right answer. I would have thought 5 #1's for Stevens would be great...it wasn't.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
It matters what kind of #1 overall your talking about.

A Sidney Crosby would probably require a massive Lindros trade. For example, if the NJ Devils did it, it would be something like Gomez + Parise + Martin + Picks. If we're talking about a normal #1 overall (think 2000-2003 drafts), it would probably be something like Paul Martin + Ari Ahonen + picks.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
DownFromNJ said:

A Sidney Crosby would probably require a massive Lindros trade. For example, if the NJ Devils did it, it would be something like Gomez + Parise + Martin + Picks. If we're talking about a normal #1 overall (think 2000-2003 drafts), it would probably be something like Paul Martin + Ari Ahonen + picks.

Never in a million years would I give that for ANYTHING.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
DownFromNJ said:

The top picks from 2000-2003 weren't exactly scrubs..

Vic Rattlehead*

Flame_Star_Devil said:
Never in a million years would I give that for ANYTHING.
Not even for Heatley-Kovalchuk-Coburn? (just had to throw that at you).

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
19bruins19 said:
Not even for Heatley-Kovalchuk-Coburn? (just had to throw that at you).

For any one of them, no way. For all three... I'd have to do it, I suppose. But I'd be reluctant. Gomez, Parise, Martin, and picks is not something I'm giving away for a single player, period. I don't care how hyped he is.

dmcilvan

Oct 25, 2004
If I had the first overall pick(ie: Crosby), I'd try to trade it to the team with either 2nd or 3rd overall picks.

Crosby is so over-hyped, that you'd be able to get prospect(s), or solid players in the deal, to go along with Brule, Johnson, or whoever else you'd decide to take.

Of course, I don't think Crosby will accomplish half of what his hype suggests he could do. He won't be another Lemieux or Gretzky, but he will be a great player.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I wouldn't take any of those NJ deals for Crosby or Ovechkin.
THe team who gets the best player most often wins.
Crosby is in another galaxy than Parise and Gomez.

If anyone were to trade Crosby they would have to get back a premier talent or two back.
Gomez is not a player who can carry a team, and im not convinced Parise can either, along with Martin they are all real nice players but not dominant or dominant to be imo.

With that in mind the Ottawa Senators offer:

Havlat, Fisher and anyone of our prospects (or a couple of picks; ladies choice.) Leaving us with this line-up in a couple years.

Vermette-Spezza-Hossa
Eaves-Crosby-Alfie
Bochenski-Kaigorodov-Neil
Shaefer-Kelly-Varada

Redden-Volchenkov
Chara-Phillips
Mezaros-Pothier

What a roster. love it. come on say it...you love it too.
Ah fantasy trading, does the long winter good.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Wondercarrot said:
I wouldn't take any of those NJ deals for Crosby or Ovechkin.
THe team who gets the best player most often wins.
Crosby is in another galaxy than Parise and Gomez.

If anyone were to trade Crosby they would have to get back a premier talent or two back.
Gomez is not a player who can carry a team, and im not convinced Parise can either, along with Martin they are all real nice players but not dominant or dominant to be imo.

With that in mind the Ottawa Senators offer:

Havlat, Fisher and anyone of our prospects (or a couple of picks; ladies choice.) Leaving us with this line-up in a couple years.

Vermette-Spezza-Hossa
Eaves-Crosby-Alfie
Bochenski-Kaigorodov-Neil
Shaefer-Kelly-Varada

Redden-Volchenkov
Chara-Phillips
Mezaros-Pothier

What a roster. love it. come on say it...you love it too.
Ah fantasy trading, does the long winter good.

Three better than good players are better than one incredible one, especially in today's NHL. There is no way in hell I make that trade. I'd be nuts to give all that for an unproven prospect.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
If I were the habs I would offer something like this :

Theodore, Ribeiro, Kostitsyn, Hainsey, 1st 2005, Cash
or
Theodore, Zednik, Hainsey, 1st 2005, 1st 2006, 1st 2007, Cash

JF

Résidences Soleil?
Apr 7, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
ax²+bx+c said:

or
I'm not sure I'd like Danis or Huet as our no 1 goaltender. To me, goaltending is the most important position and the playoffs usually prove that. I must admit that I would love to see Crosby in a habs uniform, but I'm not sure that this trade would benefit us in the long run... (If we still had Garon, I think I would say yes to the first deal though)

leafaholix*

ax²+bx+c said:

or
Hainsey?

I thought the days of Ron Hainsey being included in trade proposals were over.

leafaholix*

As for a proposal from the Leafs, I wouldn't make any blockbuster trades for 1 player... even if it was Sidney Crosby. Especially since the UFA age may be moved to 28 or 29, and we could have him at that time... in 10 years. :D

But just for fun, this is what I think it would cost for the 2005 1st...

- Tomas Kaberle (#2/3 defenseman)
- Alexander Steen (potential 1st/2nd line forward)
- Darcy Tucker (2nd/3rd line forward)
- Jay Harrison / Brendan Bell (potential #3-5 defensemen)
- 1st in 2005
- Other draft picks

JF

Résidences Soleil?
Apr 7, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Hainsey?

I thought the days of Ron Hainsey being included in trade proposals were over.
I say get used to it. Usually, the more a player begins to suck, the more he is present in the trade suggestions. And Hainsey is sucking more than ever this time of year...

leafaholix*

JF said:
I say get used to it. Usually, the more a player begins to suck, the more he is present in the trade suggestions. And Hainsey is sucking more than ever this time of year...
After that comes a time where the fans realize the player has no value.

That would come sooner if the player just gave up on playing hockey and joined the circus.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
JF said:
I'm not sure I'd like Danis or Huet as our no 1 goaltender. To me, goaltending is the most important position and the playoffs usually prove that. I must admit that I would love to see Crosby in a habs uniform, but I'm not sure that this trade would benefit us in the long run... (If we still had Garon, I think I would say yes to the first deal though)

That's not really important... A good goaltender is very easy to acquire in a trade. Let's just talk about Garon, the kings basically got him for a 3rd rounder. Look at Kiprusoff, the Flames got him for a 2nd rounder. While Boston is not a good trading partner, they'll soon have Toivonen and Raycroft ready for the #1 spot. One guy might go. Look at Philadelphia, they had Hackett and with a year they're now with Burke and Esche, a very solid duo. There's Vesa Toskala that could go away given a decent proposal. Also, there's nothing that tells me that Danis isn't able to do the job. Sure he's been struggling a little bit lately, but you gotta wonder if it's him or the team that really struggles. One year ago, Aebischer had to replace Roy and he did so wonderfully IMO. With a full year in the AHL, he (Danis) could be a fine replacement. There's also the UFA market; there's always the possibility to find a good goalie via free agency. With all the possibilities, you can certainly find a decent replacement. Just think about it, there's so many ways to find a decent goalie, yet just one to get Crosby.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Leafaholix said:
After that comes a time where the fans realize the player has no value.

That would come sooner if the player just gave up on playing hockey and joined the circus.

I included him because he could certainly has some value in a such deal. While I don't like him, if he's given for free, it's a plus for him, the habs and the team that got him. He's got some skills after all, and a change of scenary could help him. Also, I've been including him in every proposal since two years so it doesn't change too much now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad