What Round For Perron?

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
Not as dynamic as Afinogenov that's for sure.

But one question, are Pavel Datsyuk's moves working in the show? If the answer is yes, then Perron's moves will work as much as Datsyuk. He's a Datsyuk kind of player, he always put the opposition on their toes, sees the play extremely well and can find any small holes in the net.

If my memory is good, when Datsyuk got drafted, he was 5-10 - 160lbs, now Perron is 5-11½ - 183lbs and I think he can become quicker then Datsyuk.

Perron's potential upside : a bigger, quicker Pavel Datsyuk

Perron's potential downside : A better Mike Ribeiro

I would say he's no where near as dynamic as Afinogenov.

Last edited:

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
You will see.

Perron is a magician with the biscuit. Hw can do almost whatever he want with it.

Saying Perron is comparable to Datsyuk in any aspect of the game at this point is quite a stretch. Datsyuk is one of the best stick-handlers in the NHL. Perron doesn't come close.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Not as dynamic as Afinogenov that's for sure.

But one question, are Pavel Datsyuk's moves working in the show? If the answer is yes, then Perron's moves will work as much as Datsyuk. He's a Datsyuk kind of player, he always put the opposition on their toes, sees the play extremely well and can find any small holes in the net.

If my memory is good, when Datsyuk got drafted, he was 5-10 - 160lbs, now Perron is 5-11½ - 183lbs and I think he can become quicker then Datsyuk.

Perron's potential upside : a bigger, quicker Pavel Datsyuk

Perron's potential downside : A better Mike Ribeiro

LOL his downside is a better Mike Ribeiro?? You do realize Mike Ribs has 31 pts in 46 games this year....projected over a 82 game season is 55.

So youre saying AT WORST Perron will be a 55 pt NHLer...

UMMM...at worst Perron never makes the ECHL....

Plus...Perron is more of a shooter than a set up guy.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
You will see.

Perron is a magician with the biscuit. Hw can do almost whatever he want with it.

I HAVE seen. As part of my job with Hockey's Future, Perron is one of the players I have watched a fair amount this year. I have watched him and compared his level of play to other players in the league as well as former players in the league. I have also watched enough QMJHL that I am comfortable in my ability to recognize talent at that level and make projections. Some of those projections can be seen in my articles for Hockey's Future. LaLaLaprise works for HPO, a prospects site that focuses on hockey in Quebec and Ontario. I would wager that he has seen Perron more then a few times as well.

Yes, he can dangle the puck, but there are many other aspects of the game that still require work and I think you are setting unrealistic expectations in your mind.

I just think it is absurd to compare an 18 year old in his first season of major junior hockey to a player ten years older then him, in his fifth season of NHL hockey and with quite a few years of experience in the Russian leagues under his belt (with a level of play higher then that of the QMJHL).

Is it possible that Perron develops into a player like Datsyuk? Yes.
Is it probable? No and to claim otherwise places unreal expectations on the player. He's 18 and in his first season in the Q. Yes, he is playing strong, but to throw out the claims and drop the names like you do is biased and prejudiced.

Throughout my time with Hockey's Future, I have consistently tried to shy away from comparing prospects to established NHL players simply because nine times out of ten, it is unfair for the prospect to have something like that over their head.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
Hey Lalaprise, what about Perron's stickhandling and head fakes? Have they work out well against Halifax's defense?

He was doing what he wanted against the Halifax's defence in game 5. Not to pull nothing out of Voracek but Perron finished the series with 8 points and Voracek with 6 points. Perron was invisible in game 3 and 4 but I think he has been better then Voracek in game 1, 2 and 5.

Perron is showing more and more what I've been telling since january that he should be a 1st round pick.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Hey Lalaprise, what about Perron's stickhandling and head fakes? Have they work out well against Halifax's defense?

He was doing what he wanted against the Halifax's defence in game 5. Not to pull nothing out of Voracek but Perron finished the series with 8 points and Voracek with 6 points. Perron was invisible in game 3 and 4 but I think he has been better then Voracek in game 1, 2 and 5.

Perron is showing more and more what I've been telling since january that he should be a 1st round pick.

Hah, I guess this is the crow eating part?
I can say that given the end result of Game 1 and 2, I was surprised with how little production Perron posted. He got his chances, just couldn't seem to finish with them. I think that also carried over into Game 3 and 4, where again I thought he got his chances and didn't always make the most of them. Obviously, he played well in Game 5.

As I mentioned before, I don't like comparisons, simply because every player is different, but Perron and Voracek faced two very different defensive squads (and goaltenders). Constant pressure from Denny and Marshall helped neutralize Voracek, whereas the Mooseheads lacked a solid defensive presence to consistently match up against Perron (the closest that came was the Bodnarchuk matchup, although Bodnarchuk doesn't have the size or strength to hold off Perron, which is saying something about Bodnarchuk). I don't think it's fair to say that Perron played better than Voracek, mainly because I don't think it is true.

All in all, he opened my eyes a little during the series, but I still disagree with the Datsyuk/Ribeiro comparisons you threw out earlier. I still see Perron as a project, with plenty to improve on. That said, I look forward to seeing how he does against Val D'Or and potentially further. There are a lot stronger defences than the one he faced in Halifax coming up and how he battles through them should be interesting.

I had the chance to talk to Lewiston Head Coach, Clem Jodoin and Central Scouting scout, Kim Houston about Perron and will be including their comments in a forthcoming article.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
I was at game 5 as well, Perron was given way too much space and time, especially on the numerous powerplays.There were a few phantom points given to him. Having said that, his passing skills are top notch. Not awe inspiring as Voracek, but excellent nonetheless. He doesn't like to get hit, and I believe he loses his effectiveness against tighter defensive opponents. Also to remark that Perron had 8 points to Voraceks 6 is an unfair comparison. Lewiston is one of the best defensive teams in the league, with a top 2 goaltender. Halifax has had defensive problems all year, with a goalie barely up to snuff. putting it into perspective, Voracek still had the better series. All in all though, Perron is going to be drafted for sure, it will be interesting to see which team pulls the trigger on him, and how soon. My biggest concern is his foot speed, at this point it's not good enough. His stride is very strong though, so maybe he can pull a Lapierre and find that extra speed at 21, putting him in the show.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

I never said he was a bad player...But I think its crazy to consider him a 1st round guy and to compare him to Pavel Datsyuk.

Ive stated my opinion about him dozens of times on here...I see him as a 2nd-3rd rd prospect...is that really so bad for a true 88 coming out of JR A?

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
It's ok buddy, we're just discussing, nothing else.

In fact, I find that most of your posts make lots of sense to me.

BTW, Hillier's skills have impress me a lot in this series but I find him pretty inconsistent. He could be all over the place for one shift and then completely disappear for the next 5.

I never said he was a bad player...But I think its crazy to consider him a 1st round guy and to compare him to Pavel Datsyuk.

Ive stated my opinion about him dozens of times on here...I see him as a 2nd-3rd rd prospect...is that really so bad for a true 88 coming out of JR A?

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
He sure has plenty to improve but don't forget at the time that Datsyuk was also a project. Why do you guys think Datsyuk was passed over in his first draft year? I'm just saying the things I see in Perron reminds me a lot of Datsyuk when Datsyuk was around 18 and was playing D2 in Russia.

In fact, I would not be surprise to see the Wings take a shot at Perron...

And Kevin, all year long in the scouting's world, everyone was saying ''let's see what he could do after december, let's see what he could do with the best prospects at the top prospect game, let's see what he could do in playoffs'' and everytime he has raised his play so I would not be surprise to see him continue this way for the remaining of the playoffs.

Hah, I guess this is the crow eating part?
I can say that given the end result of Game 1 and 2, I was surprised with how little production Perron posted. He got his chances, just couldn't seem to finish with them. I think that also carried over into Game 3 and 4, where again I thought he got his chances and didn't always make the most of them. Obviously, he played well in Game 5.

As I mentioned before, I don't like comparisons, simply because every player is different, but Perron and Voracek faced two very different defensive squads (and goaltenders). Constant pressure from Denny and Marshall helped neutralize Voracek, whereas the Mooseheads lacked a solid defensive presence to consistently match up against Perron (the closest that came was the Bodnarchuk matchup, although Bodnarchuk doesn't have the size or strength to hold off Perron, which is saying something about Bodnarchuk). I don't think it's fair to say that Perron played better than Voracek, mainly because I don't think it is true.

All in all, he opened my eyes a little during the series, but I still disagree with the Datsyuk/Ribeiro comparisons you threw out earlier. I still see Perron as a project, with plenty to improve on. That said, I look forward to seeing how he does against Val D'Or and potentially further. There are a lot stronger defences than the one he faced in Halifax coming up and how he battles through them should be interesting.

I had the chance to talk to Lewiston Head Coach, Clem Jodoin and Central Scouting scout, Kim Houston about Perron and will be including their comments in a forthcoming article.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
I was in Val D'Or tonight and again David Perron played an awesome game. I don't know what he could do more to impress scouts. He's always facing Letang and sometimes not to say many times, Letang looked out of place against Perron in his own zone. The guy is really something special and it looks like everytime the game is tight, he raises his play. On top of that, Perron is the only guy in his team who really has great offensive instincts and he's playing in a defence first system. I could not imagine what he would have done with a team like London and linemates like Gagner or Kane...

Clearly a first round caliber...My prediction is he'll go from 15 to 30...

ppil

Sep 22, 2005
Quebec
wasn't Perron 06 eligible and passed on?

My mom has been his teacher when he was younger, and now she works with his uncle, and I remember that he told her that last year, he was trying to get in an nhl team traning camp, so I guess he was eliglible in 06.

Traktor*

Nice job on the early prognostication brightscout. Stuck to your guns and it's paying off.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
Haha, thank you Traktor...That's why I'm paid for it.

And guys, just look at Perron at the Memorial Cup, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Nice job on the early prognostication brightscout. Stuck to your guns and it's paying off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad