What Round For Perron?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I've seen him ranked in the top 20 but also outside the top 30.

Where should he go?

IMO he will be a hard guy to predict, could go anywhere from 20 to 90 although its getting less and less likely he makes it past the 2nd round.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
Anywhere from 15 to 40th overall, he has great upsides in his play. Great hands, good vision, quick release and pretty agile on his skates...

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
IMO he will be a hard guy to predict, could go anywhere from 20 to 90 although its getting less and less likely he makes it past the 2nd round.

I agree with you, he's a guy very hard to predict. In his case, it's all about what he could become. If he fills out more etc...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Wasn't Perron one of the guys added to the Top Prospects game only after Fortier/Tanguay/Mahacek/Torquato were IRed? That suggests to at least a first approximation that he isn't seen as a top-40 CHLer (roughly) by the NHL right now.

Throw in a couple handfulls of players from outside the CHL, and that #40ish ranking slips further.

Of course, he has time to raise his stock. And of course just because he was outside the top-40 CHLers as a consensus it doesn't mean there wouldn't be a few teams that had him much higher, and it only takes one team that loves him to put a big draft day spike in the heart of the consensus ranking.

All in all, turnbuckle's #40-70 sounds good to me.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
I have heard the only reason he wasn't invited at first at the game is because he was in his secong year of eligibility for the draft...

He's ranked 18th right now in North America by the NHL CS...

Wasn't Perron one of the guys added to the Top Prospects game only after Fortier/Tanguay/Mahacek/Torquato were IRed? That suggests to at least a first approximation that he isn't seen as a top-40 CHLer (roughly) by the NHL right now.

Throw in a couple handfulls of players from outside the CHL, and that #40ish ranking slips further.

Of course, he has time to raise his stock. And of course just because he was outside the top-40 CHLers as a consensus it doesn't mean there wouldn't be a few teams that had him much higher, and it only takes one team that loves him to put a big draft day spike in the heart of the consensus ranking.

All in all, turnbuckle's #40-70 sounds good to me.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I have heard the only reason he wasn't invited at first at the game is because he was in his secong year of eligibility for the draft...

He's ranked 18th right now in North America by the NHL CS...
Do you mean that there was originally some confusion as to whether an overlooked '88 could technically be in the game or not?

'Cuz otherwise, I think it comes down to the same thing... if the NHL folks surveyed for the spots on the team were aware that he was allowed to play, and they still didn't pick him among the top-40... :dunno: The extra year can certainly factor into him dropping back, both in teams wanting to see him in the game, and ultimately on draft day. Or the teams that do love him and have him rated higher could not pick him and want to "hide" him away from the game and the skills testing and all that. We'll know in about 6 months, I reckon. 40-70 still seems pretty good to me. From the meaningless shelter of my cushy armchair, of course. ;) :GWC:

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
No Im pretty sure he didn't originally get picked because the ruling was all players had to be born between Sept.15.1988-Sept.15.1989. If any of you saw a bit of the game or skills comp you wouldn't question his amazing puck skills and he should have obviously been picked for the game the first time around if it hadn't been for the original ruling which I guess must have changed

Scot79

Dec 8, 2006
Maine
My opinion, late first round or some point in the second. He has good ice vision, good puck handling, is willing to skate thru crowds towards the net, gets by defenders often, draws many penalties, and has been more physical recently. He also has good numbers for his rookie season in the Q.

Perron was the 101st pick in the 2006 Q entry draft. One of the few, if not only '88 to be drafted. So entering this season he was basically one or two years behind his peers. Otherwise wouldn't he have entered the Q before this year? The type of season he is having is incredible for a rookie, he is the surprise/steal of the 2006 Q draft.

This may not be true, but making such a sudden impact in the Q when it was unexpected implies a great work ethic to improve. If it turns out to be true, that Perron does have a great work ethic that could be his best attribute. In my opinion, the difference between a prospect that makes it to the NHL or never makes it is not talent but work ethic, what he does in the off-season to get better. Skill can take you only so far.

I just can't see him falling into the third round.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Many scouts ive talked to have been saying they love the skill...but they think hes lazy.

I watched him last night and tonight and i tend to agree. No back check at all...coasts a lot of the time and he is useless along the boards if you dont fall for his head fakes.

Personally he would go in my "overrated" pile. The razzle dazzle looks good, but when you dig deep...there are definatly some huge question marks.

turnbuckle*

Many scouts I've talked to have been saying they love the skill...but they think hes lazy.

I watched him last night and tonight and i tend to agree. No back check at all...coasts a lot of the time and he is useless along the boards if you dont fall for his head fakes.

Personally he would go in my "overrated" pile. The razzle dazzle looks good, but when you dig deep...there are definitely some huge question marks.

Good call. His defensive game is seriously lacking, and scouts are taking notice. Given that he's small, an '88 birth, less than an above average skater......he's likely closer to 70th than 40th.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
No back check at all, useless along the board. Whether you are a hater/jealous or you don't know much about hockey. I have seen him on a consistent basis this year and his work along the board impress me game after game for a guy his size. I've talk to Clem Jodoin a couple of time this year about Perron and he's been telling me everytime on how Perron was good to leave the corners with puck. ''He always find a way to leave the boards with the puck, it seems like the puck is stuck to him.'' Those were Clem's word...And for the defensive questions, he's +24 leading all MAINEiacs forwards and playing with 3rd line guys when he could be easily on the first line. His line with Courcelles has been the most consistent line for the MAINEiacs this season and Perron is a big part of the MAINEiacs's success this year.

Perron is in my opinion the only player in the draft with puck skills, vision, shooting(accuracy&release) and offensive creativity comparable to London Knights's Pat Kane. Some will say I'm crazy but I've followed hockey long enough to see those things and I'm sure time will tell I am right on that point.

Some will say he needs to improve his size and I agree with them but he already is at almost 6 feet and 183 pounds which is not that small for a forward and the new NHL.

For some, he might have some flaws in his game but the upsides he have in his play are things you don't see often in a player. So if he becomes stronger and keep improving his quickness/explosiveness on skates(he's not that slow, he looks slower then he really is because he's a smooth skater, testing time at the Prospect game proves I'm right), he might become the steal of the 07 draft especially if he is chosen in 3rd round or over...

I will continue to follow his development because he's a player that have caught my eyes and he intrigues me a lot...(reminds me of Pavel Datsyuk)

Many scouts ive talked to have been saying they love the skill...but they think hes lazy.

Personally he would go in my "overrated" pile. The razzle dazzle looks good, but when you dig deep...there are definatly some huge question marks.

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
No back check at all, useless along the board. Whether you are a hater/jealous or you don't know much about hockey. I have seen him on a consistent basis this year and his work along the board impress me game after game for a guy his size. I've talk to Clem Jodoin a couple of time this year about Perron and he's been telling me everytime on how Perron was good to leave the corners with puck. ''He always find a way to leave the boards with the puck, it seems like the puck is stuck to him.'' Those were Clem's word...And for the defensive questions, he's +24 leading all MAINEiacs forwards and playing with 3rd line guys when he could be easily on the first line. His line with Courcelles has been the most consistent line for the MAINEiacs this season and Perron is a big part of the MAINEiacs's success this year.

Perron is in my opinion the only player in the draft with puck skills, vision, shooting(accuracy&release) and offensive creativity comparable to London Knights's Pat Kane. Some will say I'm crazy but I've followed hockey long enough to see those things and I'm sure time will tell I am right on that point.

Some will say he needs to improve his size and I agree with them but he already is at almost 6 feet and 183 pounds which is not that small for a forward and the new NHL.

For some, he might have some flaws in his game but the upsides he have in his play are things you don't see often in a player. So if he becomes stronger and keep improving his quickness/explosiveness on skates(he's not that slow, he looks slower then he really is because he's a smooth skater, testing time at the Prospect game proves I'm right), he might become the steal of the 07 draft especially if he is chosen in 3rd round or over...

I will continue to follow his development because he's a player that have caught my eyes and he intrigues me a lot...(reminds me of Pavel Datsyuk)

I think youre going a bit overboard saying no one compares to him except Kane in those categories....thats exactly why he is in my overrated pile. It is also lame of you to say "ive been following hockey a long time" I guess we can end the debate rigth there since youve followed hockey a long time.

His board battling is a bit misleading. He is a shifty guy so he ends up deeking a lot of dmen out...but when he goes up against a non-useless dman all you have to do is put the shoulder into him and not fall for his head fakes.

No one can deny Perron's puck skills, but it takes more than nifty puck skills to cut it in the NHL.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
All they have to do is put their shoulders on him...Wow!!! I think they need to catch him before putting a shoulder on him and it's not an easy thing to do on him. It's so hard to play the body on him and he makes many Dmen looks silly.

I know it just don't take puck skills, it also takes vision, playmaking and scoring abilities and Perron can all do that. But, if you want a grinder, don't take him.

I think youre going a bit overboard saying no one compares to him except Kane in those categories....thats exactly why he is in my overrated pile. It is also lame of you to say "ive been following hockey a long time" I guess we can end the debate rigth there since youve followed hockey a long time.

His board battling is a bit misleading. He is a shifty guy so he ends up deeking a lot of dmen out...but when he goes up against a non-useless dman all you have to do is put the shoulder into him and not fall for his head fakes.

No one can deny Perron's puck skills, but it takes more than nifty puck skills to cut it in the NHL.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
This is sacrelig on HFBoards, I know, but Perron reminds me of a lazier, unmotivated Patrice Bergeron. The problem with this is that one of the biggest reasons Bergeron is so effective is because of that competitive drive in him.

turnbuckle*

All they have to do is put their shoulders on him...Wow!!! I think they need to catch him before putting a shoulder on him and it's not an easy thing to do on him. It's so hard to play the body on him and he makes many Dmen looks silly.

I know it just don't take puck skills, it also takes vision, playmaking and scoring abilities and Perron can all do that. But, if you want a grinder, don't take him.

Making the odd dman look silly in the Q isn't the same thing as doing it in the NHL is Lalaprise's point, although I must admit that he's shifty along the boards.

For him to be even considered for the first round is significant considering he was passed over altogether last season.

As for saying Kane is the only player with similar offensive instincts....sounds like you're the one that's not following the prospects.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
He reminds of Bergeron with more skills so it's why I say he reminds me of Datsyuk...The game I saw of him he wasn't lazy, but I'll check this issue in the upcoming games I'll go see him play.

This is sacrelig on HFBoards, I know, but Perron reminds me of a lazier, unmotivated Patrice Bergeron. The problem with this is that one of the biggest reasons Bergeron is so effective is because of that competitive drive in him.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Its not about "catching somebody" when they are in the corner. He is already caught...u just dont fall for his moves. Andrew Bodnarchuk knocked him on his ass 3 times on 1 shift because Perron tried the same dumb move, and Bodnarchuk is 5'10. It worked later in the game against Halifax's 3rd pairing D. That is my point. He tires too much dangly crap and NHL dmen dont fall for it.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He reminds of Bergeron with more skills so it's why I say he reminds me of Datsyuk...The game I saw of him he wasn't lazy, but I'll check this issue in the upcoming games I'll go see him play.

Bergeron is as far a comparison as you can get.

Bergeron is a north south guy...he doesnt dangle at all.

The only comparison is Bergeron and Perron both shoot right.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Its not about "catching somebody" when they are in the corner. He is already caught...u just dont fall for his moves. Andrew Bodnarchuk knocked him on his ass 3 times on 1 shift because Perron tried the same dumb move, and Bodnarchuk is 5'10. It worked later in the game against Halifax's 3rd pairing D. That is my point. He tires too much dangly crap and NHL dmen dont fall for it.
In my observation, NHL Dmen fall for it when Afinogenov does it. Does Perron come close to have those types of moves?

Jypee

Dec 8, 2005
Well, Perron comes from my hometown.

Him and his brother are pretty known here by anyone who plays hockey: Everybody hates them.

The truth is, Perron has great skills but is an individual player, and doesn't have a great attitude. The only important thing for the guy is his personals numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->