What other sports/hobbies do you guys play(keep you in shape)?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I hung up the skates 4 or 5 years ago. These days I mountain bike and practice acro-yoga. I XC ski when I can, but it has been slim pickings the last couple winters.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Weight lifting.

Back as a kid I only played hockey, when I turned 18 I stopped and took up bodybuilding/power lifting. Ten years later I got back into hockey and now do both, though I don't lift as crazily as I did in the past. Got a good mix going now.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Jumping rope.

I like the mental challenge of it, too, as there is an endless array of 'trick' jumps that can be learned. It also has lots of variables that can be used to challenge one's self - number of reps, time, tempo, or number of reps and tempo.

I also find it can help develop coordination, especially concerning my weak hand. For instance, I can do crossovers readily leading with my strong hand, but I struggle a bit leading with my weak hand.

If I do a 'trick' jump for 45 seconds to a minute, between the physical exertion and the mental concentration, it is similar to a shift in a hockey game, at least for me.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Jumping rope.

I like the mental challenge of it, too, as there is an endless array of 'trick' jumps that can be learned. It also has lots of variables that can be used to challenge one's self - number of reps, time, tempo, or number of reps and tempo.

I also find it can help develop coordination, especially concerning my weak hand. For instance, I can do crossovers readily leading with my strong hand, but I struggle a bit leading with my weak hand.

If I do a 'trick' jump for 45 seconds to a minute, between the physical exertion and the mental concentration, it is similar to a shift in a hockey game, at least for me.

Jumping rope is a surprisingly (to most) great cardio exercise. It'll tire most people out pretty quickly for sure. That reminds me I haven't broken mine out in a while.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Jumping rope is a surprisingly (to most) great cardio exercise. It'll tire most people out pretty quickly for sure. That reminds me I haven't broken mine out in a while.

Absolutely!

And talk about affordable. I jump on a rubber mat and my ropes - that cost $6 - $10 - last a long time.

If one watches say a boxer jumping rope, their conditioning is so exceptional and their technique so effortless, that it looks easy. But it really is a tremendous cardio workout.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tennis. I love the sport of tennis. I played hockey since I was 4 years old, but someone told me hockey players make good tennis players so I did that as a hobby and got really good at it. Tennis is the toughest sport I've ever played. The mental capacity, as every shot is on you, is the toughest.

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Golf. I love being outside in usually beautiful places with enough challenge to keep me interested but still a break from skating.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hockey, hiking, kayak/canoe, snowboard/ski, snowshoeing, bouldering, badminton, Tennis, Yoga, skateboarding.

Mainly, they're all for fun, so they're not actually to keep me in shape.

Mad Brills*

pickup basketball is always a good cardio workout during a day off/break during a workout.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm a Tai Chi kind of guy. I used to do the P90X routine, but I tore my adductor muscle that really helped do a number on my hip. After 22 weeks of rehab, the adductor healed, but I haven't started P90X again. I plan on doing so in the new year though. Greatest work out routine I ever did.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
pickup basketball is always a good cardio workout during a day off/break during a workout.

Good call on basketball. For some extra cardio and footwork, my buddy and I play 1 on 1 at least once a week. Half court best of 3 and then a final game full court 1 on 1. Boy that gets the lungs fired up.

I've noticed tennis/basketball are two sports that help my hockey game and I'm playing them simply as a hobby or for fun. And it's like i'm not even doing cardio. So I can hit the weights and then go play 1 on 1 for 30 minutes and not even realize i'm getting great cardio. Or for tennis... I can be on the court for 90-120 minutes and love every second of it. Great way to add cardio to the weightlifting and keep preparing for hockey.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jumping rope.

I just want to add to this. Sometimes after lifting I work on footwork a little and it's so easy/cheap to get a great cardio workout while improving your abilities. Simply buying a jump rope and an agility ladder and boom. You are set, it's fun, and inexpensive.

After lifting, i'll do 45 seconds on, 15 seconds off x6 jump rope/agility ladder. So it goes:

- Jump rope 45 seconds, 15 seconds break.
- Agility ladder 45 seconds, 15 seconds break.
- Jump rope 45 seconds, 15 seconds break.
- and keep repeating.

Great cardio workout, helps footwork for sports, and you can do it in your basement for crying out loud. If you really want to work on footwork, buy mini hurdles and a step board and you have a full basement easy workout to improve footwork for less than $60.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Weight lifting.

Back as a kid I only played hockey, when I turned 18 I stopped and took up bodybuilding/power lifting. Ten years later I got back into hockey and now do both, though I don't lift as crazily as I did in the past. Got a good mix going now.

good choice! My main hobbies are hockey, motocross, snowboarding, waterskiing, and the more rare tennis game. It's good to mix things up so you don't get burned out.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Kickball league we join twice a year in the spring and fall. And anytime I can use nice weather as an excuse to walk to the train. About a mile walk to the train station from both home and work. Add up quite a bit.

Other than that, I try and keep it pretty light with how intense my triathlon training can get.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Added 40 miles worth of cycling this week by commuting to/from work. Feels good!

2 mornings I was able to commute in, and then my ride home was my training ride for the day. And today I just lightly rode to/from since I'm not running till later in the evening.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm envious of some of you. Not sure on the demographic we have here, but I've had to change mine since I'm on a completely different level, living wise to where I was when I joined the board.

When I first started, pick up games for multiple sports were a regular thing. This was cause I was single and had no children. Now that I'm married, have one child, and another on the way, "free time" shrinks by the day. The only reason I get to lift weights, routinely, is because my job is 2 miles away from a gym that I go to about 4 days a week on my lunch break.

As far as hobbies go. Sounds lame, but simply getting outside has helped me. My son has soccer practice, and if I'm the one taking him (if work permits), I grab a pair of shorts and jog a few laps while he practices. Simply going outside and playing catch. I do golf on some weekends as well. Anyway, figured I'd share. I think the majority here are younger and don't have the amount of commitments that I do, yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad