What nation will join the Elite 7 of Hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokyo Bucks

Jul 27, 2005
tokyo
I voted Germany, the number of NHLers is gradually but steadily increasing, and some are definitely quality players. Swiss juniors have great reputation and record, and they are producing some NHLers, but I just took Germany's big population base as a positive thing. Latvia and Belarus seem like great candidates too. It'd be great to have more hockey mad nations in the elite group.

Homer vote would've been Japan, but hockey just didn't catch on, even after Nagano 98. Formation of Asia League is great, but that was done more out of desperation from having the domestic league reduced to 4 teams from 6.

As for Quebec, they may not be a nation, but with enough sovereignty rights and unique society clauses, they may have their own elite hockey team in international tournaments before any real nations join the elite group :P

twelve

May 19, 2005
billykyjoe said:
Switzerland. The government is pumping money like crazy into the system. The resources are there and it looks like the talent is coming around. I'm not sure about passion for the game, but everything else is there for them to jump up.

Oh, the passion is there. In summer it's football, in winter it's hockey. There's a reason why a Swiss club has the greatest average fan attendance in Europe.

I've not given up hope yet. Okay, a handful of players gave up after a short while in the NHL. But it is, after all, only a handful. I'd have preferred it if they'd managed, but the failure of a few doesn't mean that there is no hope for the others. Besides, two of those players aren't even playing in the national team of Switzerland now (Riesen, von Arx). Whether it was their hockey abilities or their personality, they just didn't have all the qualities needed.

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
My totally unbiased opinion is that Poland is the next hockey powerhouse. I predict a Gold medal in Vancouver ;) .

Last edited:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Ukraine will rise if Zherdev joins, and we stop losing our players to Russia
We'll be on par with at least Germany/Swiss and be able to steal games.

If we continue to lose all of our players to other countries though, then we're doomed to the 13th slot

Guy Flaming

Switzerland.

The next goaltending factory from Europe. Gerber, Aebischer, Berra, Genoni and now Lukas Flueler and Ivan Mantegazzi on the way. (Fleuler should be one of the top goalies in his draft year i.m.o.).

What I saw of a couple kids at the Viking Cup was promising too: Luca ****i and Lukas Stoop.

The Swiss are coming, the Swiss are coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->