Speculation: What might it cost to re-sign Wild Bill?

Discussion in 'Vegas Golden Knights' started by LadyStanley, Mar 26, 2018.

1. willy702

willy702 Registered User

I'm sure they would agree to deals like the Preds have in a heartbeat. We'll see what his agent comes back with, many do exactly what Grandlund did and say we want to gamble on his ability to get a real payday once he's in UFA territory. As for "losing" him, if you have to pay 9-10m then I don't think you are really losing. You don't have him on the roster, but you also don't have that sort of commitment which prevents signing other players or other cap management opportunities. Only a handful of premium players deserve that pay and when you pay that you usually recognize the back end of the deal is not going to be worth it. Look at the Hawks, do you think they wish they could trade Toews right now? Sure the pay was worth it for the success they had but now his contract and Hossa's are total roster killers.

2. LadyStanley

LadyStanley Elasmobranchology-go

The party that does not take the other to arbitration gets to determine the term (1 or 2 years) in arbitration. If the VGK takes him, thinking it would be 1. If Karlsson elects, of course VGK would look at two.

There are two more things you need to consider. First is what comparables the team and agent will bring up for the hearing. And second, what his market value should be. Those may not be the same.

3. Sir Goose

Sir Goose Golden Knight Squire

Home Page:
    This is why I wouldn't mind Karlsson electing and Vegas picking the 2-year deal: There shouldn't be any cap issues for the next two seasons, so he can get whatever he wants for a salary. But then you give him the big extension on July 1, 2019.

4. Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight Registered User

I haven't heard any expert call him a flash in the pan. There's a general consensus that this is his career year but overall I think the experts believe he's turned a corner and can be a very effective NHL center.

But he hasn't suddenly figured out something that eluded every other hockey player for a century. His shooting % will come down. He most likely won't put up 40 goals ever again. He may not even put up 70 points again.

I think 25-30 goals and 55-65 points plus a great defensive game at the center position is what you would be safe expecting from him for the next few years going forward.

5. Aurinko

Aurinko Registered User

Defensive game is something that is very hard to learn. Some people just have it.

There are few 40 goal scorers who scored less than 25 the next season. If he scores under 30 goals it would still be considered a severe drop even with minor injuries.

6. IceNeophyte

IceNeophyte Registered User

Defense is why I lo
    Defense is why I love to watch this guy play. He's all over them. His goals are a nice bonus to that. He's worth 6X6 for his defense and forecheck alone, imho.

Aurinko likes this.
  7. Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight Registered User

Even if he "only" gets about 30 goals and 65 points while continuing to bring everything else he does to the table, that's still in the top 20 of the most valuable centers in the league. Especially if we can lock him up for 6 or under.

With Karlsson, Haula on the second line, Glass coming up and Eakin, Bellemare, Carpenter to fill out the bottom two spots we would have a pretty good setup down the middle.

Nevada Jones and BattleBorn like this.
  8. DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 Registered User

This is a incorrect statement.....

This only applies when the player has 2 years until he is U.F.A eligible. (Schmitt lasts year..... Vegas elected for a 2 year term)

If Karlson goes to arbitration it will be for 1 year....... and they will not be able to negotiate a new contract (extension until after Jan 1st).....

FYI

9. DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 Registered User

Sorry Karrlson is 25 and is 2 years away from U.F.A...... as he has only played 5 years in the N.H.L

He is in the exact same position as Scmidt was Last year.... and if he elects for Salary arbitration Vegas can choose the 2 year option..... Which may be the best way to go........ to see if he is a one year wonder....

10. Aurinko

Aurinko Registered User

Arbitration is not an easy exit either. Like was previously said, +/- and shoot% are actually official NHL stats which will be used by the arbitrator to value player.

His value will be sky-high in every case. The only reason he might walk away with only 6-7M$ contract is the Vegas discount he will give us. Especially if we don't win the cup...