Speculation: What might it cost to re-sign Wild Bill?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I would be willing to give him term because of his age. Last summer the Wild were in a similar position with Granlund. RFA with 1 year remaining. I think they made a mistake by giving him a 3 year "prove it" contract, because he has proved it and now he's going to be 28 year of old UFA who's worth a big contract. Wild could have signed him to a 8 year deal from age 25-33 (only prime years) with a reasonable cap hit. Instead they will probably have to sign him from 28-36 for a higher cap hit with couple of seasons where he is "old".

Same thing could happen with Karlsson. If you sign him to a short contract and he repeats this year he's going to be worth 9-10M and his contract is going to take him to "old" age. If you sign him to 8 years now it's only going to be prime years (25-33) and you can still sign him to a reasonable cap hit of 6-7M. Salary cap next year is going to be 80M, so 6M is only 7.5%. Relatively that is less than Clarkson got from Toronto. It's less than 32 yo 20 goal scorer Backes signed for with Boston. 6M is nothing these days, in 8 years it's even less when the cap is 110M.

If you gamble now you might get Karlsson signed for long term with a "low" cap hit. This is what Poile does and because of that Predators are a powerhouse. He has signed Josi for 7 years 4M cap hit, Ekholm 6 years 3.75M cap hit, Ellis 5 years 2.5M cap hit, Arvidsson 7 years 4.25M cap hit and Järnkrok 6 years 2M cap hit. They basically have 10M+ extra cap space, because Poile wasn't afraid to commit.

I'm sure they would agree to deals like the Preds have in a heartbeat. We'll see what his agent comes back with, many do exactly what Grandlund did and say we want to gamble on his ability to get a real payday once he's in UFA territory. As for "losing" him, if you have to pay 9-10m then I don't think you are really losing. You don't have him on the roster, but you also don't have that sort of commitment which prevents signing other players or other cap management opportunities. Only a handful of premium players deserve that pay and when you pay that you usually recognize the back end of the deal is not going to be worth it. Look at the Hawks, do you think they wish they could trade Toews right now? Sure the pay was worth it for the success they had but now his contract and Hossa's are total roster killers.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
A young player with no track record having a breakout season on an expiring $1M contract: I'd imagine the player/agent will want to cash in on the success of that one season, while the team will want to see evidence that this is not a fluke. It may not be the most popular opinion here, but I actually wouldn't mind this one going to arbitration. Give him a 2-year deal (for whatever amount) that takes him right to UFA status - if he has another good year, then give him the long extension next summer.

The party that does not take the other to arbitration gets to determine the term (1 or 2 years) in arbitration. If the VGK takes him, thinking it would be 1. If Karlsson elects, of course VGK would look at two.

There are two more things you need to consider. First is what comparables the team and agent will bring up for the hearing. And second, what his market value should be. Those may not be the same.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
The party that does not take the other to arbitration gets to determine the term (1 or 2 years) in arbitration. If the VGK takes him, thinking it would be 1. If Karlsson elects, of course VGK would look at two.

There are two more things you need to consider. First is what comparables the team and agent will bring up for the hearing. And second, what his market value should be. Those may not be the same.

This is why I wouldn't mind Karlsson electing and Vegas picking the 2-year deal: There shouldn't be any cap issues for the next two seasons, so he can get whatever he wants for a salary. But then you give him the big extension on July 1, 2019.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think he will remain a high percentage shooter after this season. That of course will deviate, but what I don't like is experts acting like the guy's a flash in the pan based on an "unsustainable" shooting percentage.

Go back and look at his goals. There is a reason behind the high percentage nature of his shots. He's had extremely good looks at the net and that did not happen by chance. They came because he's not only skilled but has good instincts and positioning.

Some of the external factors that play into this equation are line mates and the coaching staff. This player is a perfect fit for Coach Gallant and his approach. He also has line mates that have done a great job being on the same page. He's young and ascending. It is important that the team prioritize retaining him.

I haven't heard any expert call him a flash in the pan. There's a general consensus that this is his career year but overall I think the experts believe he's turned a corner and can be a very effective NHL center.

But he hasn't suddenly figured out something that eluded every other hockey player for a century. His shooting % will come down. He most likely won't put up 40 goals ever again. He may not even put up 70 points again.

I think 25-30 goals and 55-65 points plus a great defensive game at the center position is what you would be safe expecting from him for the next few years going forward.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I haven't heard any expert call him a flash in the pan. There's a general consensus that this is his career year but overall I think the experts believe he's turned a corner and can be a very effective NHL center.

But he hasn't suddenly figured out something that eluded every other hockey player for a century. His shooting % will come down. He most likely won't put up 40 goals ever again. He may not even put up 70 points again.

I think 25-30 goals and 55-65 points plus a great defensive game at the center position is what you would be safe expecting from him for the next few years going forward.

Defensive game is something that is very hard to learn. Some people just have it.

There are few 40 goal scorers who scored less than 25 the next season. If he scores under 30 goals it would still be considered a severe drop even with minor injuries.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Defense is why I lo
Defensive game is something that is very hard to learn. Some people just have it.

There are few 40 goal scorers who scored less than 25 the next season. If he scores under 30 goals it would still be considered a severe drop even with minor injuries.

Defense is why I love to watch this guy play. He's all over them. His goals are a nice bonus to that. He's worth 6X6 for his defense and forecheck alone, imho.

Reactions: Aurinko

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Even if he "only" gets about 30 goals and 65 points while continuing to bring everything else he does to the table, that's still in the top 20 of the most valuable centers in the league. Especially if we can lock him up for 6 or under.

With Karlsson, Haula on the second line, Glass coming up and Eakin, Bellemare, Carpenter to fill out the bottom two spots we would have a pretty good setup down the middle.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

This is a incorrect statement.....

This only applies when the player has 2 years until he is U.F.A eligible. (Schmitt lasts year..... Vegas elected for a 2 year term)

If Karlson goes to arbitration it will be for 1 year....... and they will not be able to negotiate a new contract (extension until after Jan 1st).....

FYI

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
This is a incorrect statement.....

This only applies when the player has 2 years until he is U.F.A eligible. (Schmidt lasts year..... Vegas elected for a 2 year term)

If Karlson goes to arbitration it will be for 1 year....... and they will not be able to negotiate a new contract (extension until after Jan 1st).....

FYI

Sorry Karrlson is 25 and is 2 years away from U.F.A...... as he has only played 5 years in the N.H.L

He is in the exact same position as Scmidt was Last year.... and if he elects for Salary arbitration Vegas can choose the 2 year option..... Which may be the best way to go........ to see if he is a one year wonder....

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Arbitration is not an easy exit either. Like was previously said, +/- and shoot% are actually official NHL stats which will be used by the arbitrator to value player.

His value will be sky-high in every case. The only reason he might walk away with only 6-7M$ contract is the Vegas discount he will give us. Especially if we don't win the cup...

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
giphy.gif

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Playing well head to head against Kopitar and Pavelski has alleviated any qualms I had about long term big money no whammies stop.
Having said that, teams will pour over video in the summer, take him more seriously next season and I don't know if it's likely he'll get to 35 goals ever again. So 6 million per is fair, but I don't think it will be a bargain 3 years from now either.
Having said that, trading for Erik Karlsson and convincing him and John Tavares to sign for under 10 mil would probably reduce Perron, Neal and William Karlsson's asking price on July 1st. Oh yes I just went there.:cool:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Playing well head to head against Kopitar and Pavelski has alleviated any qualms I had about long term big money no whammies stop.
Having said that, teams will pour over video in the summer, take him more seriously next season and I don't know if it's likely he'll get to 35 goals ever again. So 6 million per is fair, but I don't think it will be a bargain 3 years from now either.
Having said that, trading for Erik Karlsson and convincing him and John Tavares to sign for under 10 mil would probably reduce Perron, Neal and William Karlsson's asking price on July 1st. Oh yes I just went there.:cool:

If there wasn't so much public pressure, I might consider a discount deal if I was Tavares. He might be making a lot of money, but the East coast teams he has for options are currently looking brutal. That being said it is just a wishful thinking and what kind of role would he play here anyway? A 2nd line center? EK is more likely option, but there is really not a 100% certainty he would make this team better. Fcking up team chemistry should always be a real concern. Most thought that the D would be the weakest link of the Vegas, but so far they have been solid as hell.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
It's crazy to look at that goal he scored last night to seal a big win in San Jose, and to realize that next year he's probably going to miss it... :D

Reactions: derriko

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

So you recognize he's played head to head with elite centermen but he's worth $6M? Oh and of course he won't get to 35 goals again, I mean he can't be that good right?

Nonsense. Translation in the above is that as a GM you would lose a top young player due to bean counting and fear management. Why would he sign a $6M contract? C'mon man. You know better, even if you don't realize it.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So you recognize he's played head to head with elite centermen but he's worth $6M? Oh and of course he won't get to 35 goals again, I mean he can't be that good right?

Nonsense. Translation in the above is that as a GM you would lose a top young player due to bean counting and fear management. Why would he sign a $6M contract? C'mon man. You know better, even if you don't realize it.
o_O OK you lost me.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
o_O OK you lost me.

If GMs pour over his video, they will see that aside from his scoring, even if that's attributed to luck, he is a BEAST on the backcheck and forecheck. His play has epitomized the "200 foot player," and if GMs put money where their mouths are, he's good for a nice contract.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think you can go one of two ways. Short term or 1 year deal at 5-6M, see if he duplicates this, then sign him for 10M+ or offer him a long term deal at around 7.5M right now.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If GMs pour over his video, they will see that aside from his scoring, even if that's attributed to luck, he is a BEAST on the backcheck and forecheck. His play has epitomized the "200 foot player," and if GMs put money where their mouths are, he's good for a nice contract.

that's not what I said. I said other teams will go over video aka scouting to learn how to defend against him just like any emerging star.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This isn't brought up a lot but we have 0 state income tax. There's maybe four teams in the league that could boast that. And the cost of living in LV is lower than a lot of places. I understand players earn half their money in road games but that means they earn half their money at home games.

It isn't a massive difference but I think it generally means on big deals, we could probably pay guys around 500K less than most other teams and it wouldn't really affect how many real dollars they would pocket.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
infinity-million-dollars-dr-evil-meme.png

Wild Bill's agent right now.

SHOWS ME THA COMPARABLES, WILD AGENT

me.

This isn't brought up a lot but we have 0 state income tax. There's maybe four teams in the league that could boast that. And the cost of living in LV is lower than a lot of places. I understand players earn half their money in road games but that means they earn half their money at home games.

It isn't a massive difference but I think it generally means on big deals, we could probably pay guys around 500K less than most other teams and it wouldn't really affect how many real dollars they would pocket.

Well this was the sticking point for Radulov last year. In Dallas the same deal Montreal offered got him something like 950k per year more.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
SHOWS ME THA COMPARABLES, WILD AGENT

me.

Well this was the sticking point for Radulov last year. In Dallas the same deal Montreal offered got him something like 950k per year more.

For a comparable, does Tyler Johnson work? He was the same age and an RFA when he signed his 7 year, 35 million contract (5 million AAV) last year.

Same position, he had a 72 point season, also had another 50 point year and another season he finished with 45 and probably would have hit 50 again if not for injury so he was a much more proven point producing commodity at that point. And he never had a shooting % you would think would come down.

He was also great in the playoffs the year they went to the Cup Final and the year after.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Thing is I used to be sceptical and frankly I dont like William all that much as he played for a rival team in Sweden, also he was highly medicore while playing here. But really he pass the eye test, idk how he did it but his shot is so deadly all of a sudden, quick release, accurate and so on. He look like atleast a borderline star and at times he look like the second coming of Kovalchuk.

Have a really hard time to believe he would drop down below 30 goals next season with those qualities.

Last edited:

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I think you can go one of two ways. Short term or 1 year deal at 5-6M, see if he duplicates this, then sign him for 10M+ or offer him a long term deal at around 7.5M right now.

He's making money in this series right now. Great shooting, passing, and solid d. I think he's easily worth between 7 and 8 mil a year. I'm scared that if he does sign a show me deal and gets 35 to 40+ goals again and is again clutch in playoff games, he'll be getting closer to 9 to 10 mil a season and that would hurt the team's cap. I also do believe that the chemistry he has might not be able to be duplicated on another team. If I'm his agent, I walk away from anything less than 6 mil a year. I hope I'm wrong and he'll sign a long term deal for less than six.

I think the Tyler Johnson deal is a huge home town discount deal. I doubt wild Bill signs a long term deal just barely better than Tatar's contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColdSteel2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->