What makes Erik Karlsson inferior to Niklas Lidstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand. Erik Karlsson controls the game in such an amazing way. Granted I haven't watched lidstrom much, but Karlsson is so good at moving the puck . His skating is silky smooth as well. Lidstrom always seemed more subtle in the way he played, wasn't as flashy. I think Karlsson was better offensively. Not only that, it's so hard taking the puck from Karlsson. In a way, Karlsson greatest defense is his offense.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I don't understand. Erik Karlsson controls the game in such an amazing way. Granted I haven't watched lidstrom much, but Karlsson is so good at moving the puck . His skating is silky smooth as well. Lidstrom always seemed more subtle in the way he played, wasn't as flashy. I think Karlsson was better offensively. Not only that, it's so hard taking the puck from Karlsson. In a way, Karlsson greatest defense is his offense.

Why.....why would you make this post today.

Reactions: PTmbp13

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Member since today. What compelled you to create an account to make this post?

Long time lurker. Thought just came to my mind.

Lidstrom has 8 Norris Trophies

Karlsson has 2 and hasn't even reached the age Lidstrom was when he first won his.

Why.....why would you make this post today.

I know it's bad timing, but the thought just came to mind today after the game. Besides, it's not like Lidstrom never had a bad game.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Long time lurker. Thought just came to my mind.

Karlsson has 2 and hasn't even reached the age Lidstrom was when he first won his.

I know it's bad timing, but the thought just came to mind today after the game. Besides, it's not like Lidstrom never had a bad game.

OK but he still only has 2 at this point when he wins a few more then he can be compared to Lidstrom

Also the fact that he has 2 before the age Lidstrom won his 1st probably means Lidstrom should have 10-12

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
IMO, the player who does less and accomplishes many, if not most, of the same things is the better player.

Real greatness looks effortless.

Lidstrom mastered the basics of the game. Consistently doing all the little things (tape to tape, good angles, good positioning/awareness) was the basis of his success. These little things made him a great teammate, allowed him to play 30 min. a game because he wasn't needlessly expending energy and kept him healthy. One of the most efficient players to ever play any sport.

There are very few, if any, players who have made the high percentage play more times than Lidstrom.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Karlsson is probably the only defensemen I've seen that can control a game to the extent that Lidstrom did, as well as periods of Chris Pronger.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lidstrom was great, but I have to imagine Karlsson on those Detroit teams and I have a hard time not seeing him dominate to an even greater extent, which is arguably already more than Lidstrom did at his best. His consistency, health and longevity is what sets him apart from every other defenseman of this era though, and his peak play was still right there with Pronger or Karlsson.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's like people didn't just watch Karlsson carry the Sens within a goal of the cup final on a bum foot while putting on the best elite two way performance that we've seen in years if not longer......

The thread tonight are funny. He's not been very good so far this season. This should not be a surprise to anybody. He's got a random dead guys tendon in his foot or something. Give him time to recover fully.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Karlsson is no doubt the better offensive player but Lidstrom overall game makes him the easily superior dman.

Reactions: Mbraunm

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
It's like people didn't just watch Karlsson carry the Sens within a goal of the cup final on a bum foot while putting on the best elite two way performance that we've seen in years if not longer......

The thread tonight are funny. He's not been very good so far this season. This should not be a surprise to anybody. He's got a random dead guys tendon in his foot or something. Give him time to recover fully.

It's sort of like people forget Lidstrom had Yzerman AND Fedorov for his first 3 cups and later Zetterberg AND Datsyuk for his last one. Karlsson has never played with anyone of HHOF calibre.

I'm starting to think people just hate Karlsson because he plays for a team that isn't theirs.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Currently, Karlsson has accomplished more at this point in his career than Lidstrom had. Lidstrom had zero awards (but had a cup) and wasn't even named to his first all-star team until he was 27 which is how old Karlsson is now.

However it would be extremely rare for anyone to have the same career trajectory Lidstrom had, whose prime was arguably 30-40 years old.

He also was unbelievably healthy having only one season in his 20+ years in the NHL where he played less than 70 games, something EK already can't replicate.

Things that make him inferior? Well if it's rings, EK probably won't get one until there is a better support. But most of all it depends on how long EK can play at his highest level.

Reactions: MacBradley
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad