What jersey number do you wear and why?

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
This year I wear #5 because I missed our first game, so had a choice between that or 30. I picked 5 cause it is a cool # and i play D.

My favourite number is 10, and I usually wear that. No reason, I just love the number.

Johl_19

Nov 5, 2006
I used to wear 19 for Sakic. Then I changed it to 37 (STUPID) because I thought I needed a new number. I think it's too much of a goon's number though. I'd really like to have 9 now. The Rocket, and because 19->9. If those were all taken, I'd take 88 because Sakic used it for his first season.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Let's see...

4....Youth coach gave it to me
11...See above
13...Don't really know why, I just liked it
10...13 was taken on my high school team and it's the number that Ville Nieminen has worn numerous times, who I look up to and compare my game to. I now wear it in college.
24...First year of college I didn't have much of a choice, plus it was the number that Nemo was currently wearing in Calgary.

Last edited:

Incarnation

Dec 29, 2005
Finland
#44, because it's quite common number for a defenseman and partly because guys like Pitkänen, Timonen and especially Pronger wear it. It's a pity that Pronger had to change his number this year. :(

primetime

Dec 2, 2005
Albany
36... I'm a goalie, and it's a goalie number. I wore it playing youth hockey up through high school/juniors. I wore it in football, too. Despite the fact it was given to me, I made it my own because my father wore 36 as a running back playing football in college.

raskolnikov

Sep 13, 2005
LI
Im a goalie and in my 1st year in a league I chose #35 because of Mike Richter. The next year I moved up an age group and 35 was taken already, so I wanted a number that no one would ever have when I switched teams. I came up with the number 72 and it has stuck. I wear in baseball and hockey, and I flipped it around for my HF screename;)

as an isles fan when i see a goalie in 72 i cringe due to the ron hextall debacle. i wore 6 this past season (they gave it to me) 54 in roller (gave it to me too) if i had a choice i'd love to take the number of a player i always liked (fedorov bure almo etc) but feel like i would do them too much of an injustice which would lead me to take 12 for mick vukota or 24 for ken baumgartner

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Do any numbers kind of scream out to you the type of playing style of the wearer?

For example, I think 24 is best reserved for tough guys/grinders. 2 is a steady stay at home kind of defenseman. 9 is obviously a sniper. 16 is a power forward. Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
when i was a freshman in high school i played on the school team and the team captain wore my number which was 16......so i wore 61 at school and 16 for AAA........i was wearing 61 until this year when i was traded now i wear #3 because it was one of the few numbers availabe other than #13 which I dont like because of friday the 13th.....

Elliot67

Dec 23, 2006
Winnipeg, MB

When I was 7 and first started hockey, my last name lined up as the twelfth alphabetically out of the whole team. I used 12 since Tykes, and have never actually played a hockey game not wearing number 12.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com

When I started playing goal in squirts, my hero was B's goalie Gilles Gilbert, who wore No. 1, but another kid (a defenseman no less) had taken it.

My coach was a Maple Leafs fan, and he loved Mike Palmateer, so he suggested I wear that number because Palmateer was an outstanding NHL goalie.

So, I did. And have worn it ever since, even when skating at forward for some of the beer leagues I've played in over the past 10 years.

thefiestygoat

Jan 28, 2006
NJ & Tennessee
15 - first number I ever got so its my favorite. I wear it in roller hockey leagues.

28 - 15 was taken on my ice hockey team, so I am just going to keep 28 for ice hockey.

Also, I love the Devils, so I got Langenbrunner and Rafalski covered!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->