What is your Top 25 picks strategy?

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Most of the time, at the top of the draft, I start by drafting some RB. Like sometimes, depending on how the draft goes, I can draft 3 RBs in the first three rounds.

I think it is so much easier to get good production from the other positions that I don't like to draft them too high. Of course, there are exceptions when the best player available is clearly not a RB.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I'm not too strict with positions at the top of the draft, but I do factor it in. I will mostly go with whomever I think will put up the most points, giving solid preference to RB with how big of a drop off there is after the sure guys at the position. I'll be opportunistic at TE knowing that there aren't many reliable ones. It's hard to describe, but I pick based on who will produce the most above a replacement level player at that position.

Caring too much about positions is a mistake imo. Zero RB, hero RB, all RB, or whatever other strict position based strategies that pop up just take focus away from the most important thing, which is getting players who will produce the most. Position is part of the equation because the replacement level for RBs and WRs is different, but points win games. Don't bother drafting a QB in the top 25 in a single QB league. Honestly you would be fine ignoring QBs until pick 50 in a 10-team, 1 QB league.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Most of the time, at the top of the draft, I start by drafting some RB. Like sometimes, depending on how the draft goes, I can draft 3 RBs in the first three rounds.

I think it is so much easier to get good production from the other positions that I don't like to draft them too high. Of course, there are exceptions when the best player available is clearly not a RB.
I generally prefer to go 2 RB's first. But if I'm early in the 1st round and then late in the 2nd round I'll usually go with a top WR. I might wait on it this season though, because Mike Evans is my guy this season, and I'm hoping he's going to fall to early 3rd round.

I'm in a 2QB league so I think getting my 1WR after 2 RB's is a pretty reliable strategy.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Completely punting on RB’s from the 12 spot, not wasting a pick on Swift or Jones or Fournette or Kamara at 12/13.

Would rather take top WR, TE and QB and fill out the RB with guys like Penney, Sanders and Singletary. Going to be playing the waiver wire anyways if your using a high pick on an RB, chances are they will be missing games

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Mostly in PPR leagues. I usually go RB WR WR then in the 4th either RB or QB if there is still a top tier 1/2 QB available. It all depends how people are drafting ahead of me as well.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I've been mostly practicing the 3RB in the 1st 3 rounds, then TE, WR or QB depending on what's left. I have a ton of late round WR’S I have been targeting.

14 team PPR league so I figure load up early on RB, hopefully at least 2 of them hit and then get a decent TE. I've been able to get Pitts or Waller in most mocks. Then load up on WR’S and hope a few hit.

That being said I am not stuck to the strategy.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
2 QB league, my other QB was Aaron Rodgers.
Reasonable pick in a 2QB. That duo is deadly.

I’m in 2QB as well and I’m usually the last the pick a QB. I’m gunning for Brady and Tannehill this year. Picking 8th overall which sucks lol

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Reasonable pick in a 2QB. That duo is deadly.

I’m in 2QB as well and I’m usually the last the pick a QB. I’m gunning for Brady and Tannehill this year. Picking 8th overall which sucks lol

My draft is tomorrow, my sure fire pick owuld be Mahomes. If he’s gone, I’ll get Burrow or Allen.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
In a 14 team PPR league I drafted 9th and ended up sticking to my RB heavy plan. We will see if my RB depth, which is by far best in the league, pays off. I had to pass on elite WR's to do so.
QB's
Tre Lance/ Trever Lawrence
RB's
Najee Harris
Javonte Williams
Travis Etienne Jr
Rhamondre Stevenson
Tyler Allgeier
Rachaad White
WR's
Gabriel Davis
Rashod Bateman
DJ Chark
Romeo Doubs
Jameson Williams
TE's
Kyle Pitts
Albert Okwuegbunam

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
My draft is tomorrow, my sure fire pick owuld be Mahomes. If he’s gone, I’ll get Burrow or Allen.

Allen has finished as QB1 two years straight, and finished ahead of Mahomes in 2019 as well. Mahomes also lost his best weapon, one who can take a 5 yard slant to the house. That kind of YAC ability really boosts a QB's value.

In a 2QB or Superflex league, Allen is the 1.01.

Last edited:

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
As for strategy, there's nothing wrong with going WR or TE (Kelce) in the first round if all the top RBs are gone (Taylor, CMC, Cook, Ekeler, Henry, maybe Harris). There are plenty of RBs worthy of a pick in the 2nd round like Fournette, Swift, Barkley, Jones, Kamara, and even Mixon if he falls out of the 1st round.

Hell, if I thought I could grab Kelce and Lamb around the turn in a 10-12 team league, I would have no problem waiting until the 3rd to grab Chubb/Conner/Hall/Etienne.

In short, don't go into a draft thinking you must take a certain position in any given round (less-so in Superflex/2QB where a 1st round QB is highly recommended if you can get one of the top 6 or 7). Be flexible and take value where it is available.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I like to be sitting 2 RB 1WR after 3 rounds in our 12 man league. Don't really care the order I take them in. Depends on draft spot.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
In a 14 team PPR league I drafted 9th and ended up sticking to my RB heavy plan. We will see if my RB depth, which is by far best in the league, pays off. I had to pass on elite WR's to do so.
QB's
Tre Lance/ Trever Lawrence
RB's
Najee Harris
Javonte Williams
Travis Etienne Jr
Rhamondre Stevenson
Tyler Allgeier
Rachaad White
WR's
Gabriel Davis
Rashod Bateman
DJ Chark
Romeo Doubs
Jameson Williams
TE's
Kyle Pitts
Albert Okwuegbunam
I like this for a 14 team league, and I don't like Javonte Williams that much. One of him or Etienne should hit, or maybe both. Lots of upside with your top 2 WRs but you'll have to play the waiver wire to make sure your WRs don't bottom out. TE is a win for you in almost all your matchups, and your QBs are fine with upside. Well done.

Reactions: MaKarter

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Depends on how many teams are in your league, if it's standard/half or full PPR and on the crop of stars in each tier of that given NFL season. Also if you're in a 3WR+flex league, you might lean heavier at WR.

Anyways I went WR heavy early on. Below is my 12 team half PPR league where I picked 6th overall.

QB: J. Hurts
RB: J. Williams
RB: D. Pierce
WR: J. Jefferson
WR: M. Evans
TE: D. Goedert
Flex: C. Sutton
K: D. Carlson
DST: Saints

bench
D. Henderson
M. Carter