What is Timofei Shishkanov's Upside as an NHLer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
with the preds...think big impact.

he's the first pure sniper we've ever had that was even close to making it, let alone being almost a sure thing. he's near the top of all AHL rookies in goals scored,and is a decent bet to win rookie of the year.

as far as a player i'd compare him to...i'm not sure. scouts said 'poor man's kovalchuk,' with a little less offensive flair, but a little bit better defense.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
nomorekids said:
haha, wow, lots of people predicting this guy to be a bust, despite performing at every level he's attempted.
I just don't see the upside. I don't think his production in the Q was anything to write home about, neither was his WJC showing.

My opinion might be different if I thought there was some sort of untapped potential, but I don't see it. Shishkanov, as I see him, is kind of choppy and deliberate with the puck and appears lost on the ice, even in the offensive zone.

I don't think he's a bust, but I think that it's going to take him a while to, I guess, figure things out. Calling him a sure thing is, IMO, ridiculous.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
2002-03 Quebec Remparts QMJHL 51 36 46 82 60 11 5 12 17 14

2003-04 Milwaukee Admirals AHL 55 20 19 39 30

he admits he had a weak WJC, and in camp\every game i've seen him play, he demonstrates more ability with the puck than pretty much any predators "prospect," maybe ever.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I haven't seen that much of him, but he has the upside of a good second liner, in my opinion. I'd liken him to Tomas Surovy from the Pens.

MoS*

judging from those stats in the QMJHL and the AHL, sounds like he'll be your typical 15 goal - 25 assist = 40 point player +/- 2 goals 5 points either way.

:p

streetballer03

Nov 27, 2003
Vancouver Island
www.nba.com
nomorekids said:
i wouldn't say it's his "top" potential..but rather...around what i'd EXPECT. i think he's capable of more, personally.
Wow man really? a prospect and you can already see him scoring more than 25 goals in todays NHL where goals are scarce and extremely difficult to score? fine you win. He'll score 70 goals each season. :rolleyes: yes lets all agree he'll be just as good as Kovalchuck who i might add is one of the most dynamic player in the NHL. This guy must be amazing. Screw Crosby i want this guy.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
streetballer03 said:
Wow man really? a prospect and you can already see him scoring more than 25 goals in todays NHL where goals are scarce and extremely difficult to score? fine you win. He'll score 70 goals each season. :rolleyes: yes lets all agree he'll be just as good as Kovalchuck who i might add is one of the most dynamic player in the NHL. This guy must be amazing. Screw Crosby i want this guy.

Hey Streetballer, did we ask you, with all the disrespect we pred fans and our prospects get around here, why don't you go grab your basketball and piss off

streetballer03

Nov 27, 2003
Vancouver Island
www.nba.com
hey man, im just saying this guy is a friggin prospect who hasn't played 1 NHL game. I just can't believe your moderator disagrees that he'll be a 20 goal 50 point player. A player who gets that many points is preety good to me. I think thats a compliments.

But to disagree and say he will get more than 25 goals is like stating he'll surely be a 30-40 goal player. A player who can score that many goals is in the same league as Kovalchuk Gaborik and Iginla. Sorry guys, this guy can't even dream of being that good. If he was that good...then why the hell isn't he playing in the NHL? I'll give you this...he'll be a good player who score 20 goals and 50 points but no more than that. And if i do play basketbal so what? why do you have to be discriminatory towards basketball players? why must you profile me and think that i play basketball when i'm not dealing with fools like you on the internet?

Last edited:

The Jerk*

streetballer03 said:
hey man, im just saying this guy is a friggin prospect who hasn't played 1 NHL game. I just can't believe your moderator disagrees that he'll be a 20 goal 50 point player. A player who gets that many points is preety good to me. I think thats a compliments.

But to disagree and say he will get more than 25 goals is like stating he'll surely be a 30-40 goal player. A player who can score that many goals is in the same league as Kovalchuk Gaborik and Iginla. Sorry guys, this guy can't even dream of being that good. If he was that good...then why the hell isn't he playing in the NHL? I'll give you this...he'll be a good player who score 20 goals and 50 points but no more than that. And if i do play basketbal so what? why do you have to be discriminatory towards basketball players?

alright, then let's not give any presictions on what players numbers will be when they hit the NHL, the thread says, "What is Shishkanov's upside.." obviously he believes it to be better then this, similar to how many Canuck fans have high hope for Koltsov, and Leaf fans have high hopes for Steen..He was making his opinion, just like you made yours..give it a rest.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
vik said:
alright, then let's not give any presictions on what players numbers will be when they hit the NHL, the thread says, "What is Shishkanov's upside.." obviously he believes it to be better then this, similar to how many Canuck fans have high hope for Koltsov, and Leaf fans have high hopes for Steen..He was making his opinion, just like you made yours..give it a rest.

I think Street's struggling with the concept of 'upside'. I think he's mistakenly viewed this thread as what is a realistic expectation of Timo's NHL stats.

I'd say his upside is that of a 35 goal, 35 assist guy. Now, I think he'll actually turn into a 25-30 goal, 25-30 assist guy. But that's a very jaded look.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:
I think Street's struggling with the concept of 'upside'. I think he's mistakenly viewed this thread as what is a realistic expectation of Timo's NHL stats.
except nmk said that's what he "EXPECTED" of shishkanov and not just his "upside" (see post #6).

to me, that's pretty ridiculous for today's nhl.

eggplant

Jan 22, 2004
flip a coin and hope for the best.... there's so many factors to think about in the modern day nhl such as , his coach, the organization, his linemates, that it's become impossible to predict what these prospects will do when they eventually show up. Personally, I hope he does well....the last time I actually saw him play was at the world juniors against players his own age and he did quite well so that's what I usually use as a guide. Get rid of 6 nhl teams and lose the players who are only here for their defensive skill, clutching and grabbing, and let the skilled players play, just like the olympics, then we'll have something to watch......

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
ginblossoms said:
except nmk said that's what he "EXPECTED" of shishkanov and not just his "upside" (see post #6).

to me, that's pretty ridiculous for today's nhl.

but i was referencing upside\potential, since that's what we had been talking about the whole thread. pardon me if i gave too much credit to the people reading it.

as for streetballer...

listen, "pac," i'm not sure where all unbridled hostility came from, and i'm not sure when having an opinion became against the rules, but i think you need to chill out. i stated my belief that shishkanov...someone that i'd wager i've seen more than you and quite a few other people predicting his ceiling, will be capable of being more than a 15 goal, 40 point player. if i said that about...hemsky...or steen...oilers\leafs fans would hit the roof. i think shish is being lowballed based on unfamiliarity, and i don't need any sad attemps at sarcasm to "put me in my place." if you're going to try to insult me...save yourself some dignity and do it through PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->