What is the best gasoline?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Best gasoline depends on what type of engine you're running. For the most part, if you don't have a turbo, running anything but 87 is wasting money

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I always wondered if all these additives the fuel companies advertise make any difference whatsoever or is it gimmicky marketing like putting a low-fat sticker on a head of lettuce.

For example in Canada we have Petro-Canada with Superclean or Shell with with enriched Nitrogen, ect.

Sounds like bunch of garbage but what do I know... :D

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
If I'm using Premium, will there be a negative effect if I suddenly change to regular unleaded?
Should I run the tank nearly empty before making the switch to the reg?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Best gasoline depends on what type of engine you're running. For the most part, if you don't have a turbo, running anything but 87 is wasting money

So I'm curious here. I drive an '07 Sonata with a V6. My local Sheetz has started carrying 88 octane E15. It's about a nickel cheaper per gallon than regular 87 octane gas and I've checked my manual and I know my car can take E15. I'm aware of the environmental benefits of E15 but also that it comes with a decrease in gas mileage. That said, is it worth it or should I keep filling up with regular gas?

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

Exactly. Boosted cars and high-end naturally aspirated engines should be the typical consumers. The fuel is actually harder to burn.

A higher octane allows for higher compression ratios. If you compress the wrong octane too much, it will detonate, causing the good old "knocking and pinging". Consequently, some people with a lot of buildup in their engines may benefit from a higher octane

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
i agree with this post, i have heard that using premium gasoline is actually not good for many cars' engines, is this true

Not really. Maybe if you ran way higher octane than recommended. It's more just unnecessary.

If I'm using Premium, will there be a negative effect if I suddenly change to regular unleaded?
Should I run the tank nearly empty before making the switch to the reg?

No it'll just mix

So I'm curious here. I drive an '07 Sonata with a V6. My local Sheetz has started carrying 88 octane E15. It's about a nickel cheaper per gallon than regular 87 octane gas and I've checked my manual and I know my car can take E15. I'm aware of the environmental benefits of E15 but also that it comes with a decrease in gas mileage. That said, is it worth it or should I keep filling up with regular gas?

I actually don't know much about E15. We don't really have it up here.

Exactly. Boosted cars and high-end naturally aspirated engines should be the typical consumers. The fuel is actually harder to burn.

A higher octane allows for higher compression ratios. If you compress the wrong octane too much, it will detonate, causing the good old "knocking and pinging". Consequently, some people with a lot of buildup in their engines may benefit from a higher octane

Yep. If anyone's curious, it's actually a fairly interesting read

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Funny enough, I've actually been using 91 Premium on my Lexus CT for like 2 years until I realized about a month ago that I didn't have to. 87 all the way now. Even being super liberal on the MPGs though, I would have only saved like what, $200 over that time?
Still have to use 91 on the BMW though. :shakehead

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Use whatever your manufacturer recommends. Sometimes that recommendation is required (ie your car can be damaged if you don't), other times it's just a suggestion. Most modern turbos on I4s don't need premium anymore but you might get slightly better MPG or 0-60 times with it.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Even when new and stock, my last two cars demanded premium. Once I get them tunes it's Shell V-power all the way.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
i agree with this post, i have heard that using premium gasoline is actually not good for many cars' engines, is this true

I actually get significantly worse mpgs in my Corolla using 93 octane instead of the recommended 87. Like, it goes down from 24ish to 21.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I actually get significantly worse mpgs in my Corolla using 93 octane instead of the recommended 87. Like, it goes down from 24ish to 21.

There are way to many factors to accurately gauge that though. Like some people with my car (lexus hybrid) say they get better MPGs using premium instead of regular.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
There are way to many factors to accurately gauge that though. Like some people with my car (lexus hybrid) say they get better MPGs using premium instead of regular.

Probably because that car was engineered to run best on higher octane.

My Corolla is recommended to use 87. My Volvo (turbocharged) needs at least 91. I have found that its best to follow the recommendations, they made them that way for a reason.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Probably because that car was engineered to run best on higher octane.

My Corolla is recommended to use 87. My Volvo (turbocharged) needs at least 91. I have found that its best to follow the recommendations, they made them that way for a reason.

Lexus hybrids have similar engines to Prius's. Lexus recommends 87 as well, but said you could get better performance with 91 when I spoke with them. I've never heard of a higher octane causing problems or worse mileage.

My main point though was that MPG isn't a good indicator. There are way too many factors that have a bigger effect than octane like freeways, stops, A.C., pedal-happy, etc.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Probably sample bias. Your car should, all factors held constant, should get better mileage with premium. It's a small gain that isn't worth the price premium.

There isn't such a thing as a car designed to run on regular. The recommended figure is the minimum, not an exact requirement.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Most of my cars required 91+(93 where I live).
Due to forced induction.

Brand wise, I prefer Shell, Mobil, and Chevron. Heard some detonation with the smaller brands before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->