What is Kris Draper doing on this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcat11

Mar 14, 2005
Nova Scotia
Higgy4 said:
Will everybody forget about stats? Draper isnt on this team to score goals. The team is STOCKED with guys who can score. Draper is one of the best 2-3 penalty killers in the National Hockey League. Last time I checked, they were still calling penalites in the Olympics.

It really is that simple. Draper is the on the team to kill penalties and shut down the other teams forwards. He is TERRIFIC at that job. Who gives a rats *** if he even gets a point?

Some of you need to relax. All of you HF armchair quarterbacks think you are better at this job than Wayne Gretzky? :shakehead

I think a monkey could pick a gold medal contender with the depth Canada has. Wayne Gretzky deserves respect, but picking a winning team out of Canada's finest doesn't seem like too difficult of a task. No one likes to dis Wayne, and deservedly so, but in my opinion he gets too much props for picking an Olympic winner and a World Cup winner. No matter who picked the team, I'm sure Canada would have been equally competitive.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
bearcat11 said:
I think a monkey could pick a gold medal contender with the depth Canada has. Wayne Gretzky deserves respect, but picking a winning team out of Canada's finest doesn't seem like too difficult of a task. No one likes to dis Wayne, and deservedly so, but in my opinion he gets too much props for picking an Olympic winner and a World Cup winner. No matter who picked the team, I'm sure Canada would have been equally competitive.

Thats not my point. My point is there is obviously a reason that Wayne Gretzky wants Kris Draper on the team. I am pretty sure Gretzky knows a little more about this kind of thing than everybody on this message board.

Does anyone REALLY think Gretzky just reads the stats and makes his choices? Cmon...get a clue people. Not you in particular bearcat11...just everyone in general who is whining about this.

bearcat11

Mar 14, 2005
Nova Scotia
I agree that Gretzky knows far and away more than everyone on this board, but I also think that there's a little bit of politics in this, and that Draper may not be on this team based purely on his good play. When you think of elite Canadian talent, Kris Draper does not come to mind, and for that reason I think it's reasonable for Canadian fans to be disappointed in some of the picks on this team. I know we'll still be a gold medal contender, but I think there's a lot of talent that was unrightfully snubbed.

bearcat11

Mar 14, 2005
Nova Scotia
Four scoring lines would be somewhat similar to the very successful 2002 Olympic team. Who were the Kris Drapers and Shane Doan's of that team? Don't say Mike Peca, as he had twenty five goals that year compared to Draper's pace of two. As Gretzky said after winning gold in Salt Lake, he picked the best players available and they adapted to roles. I don't know when that philosophy changed, but picking roles seems to be the new strategy.

Last edited:

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
bearcat11 said:
Four scoring lines would be somewhat similar to the very successful 2002 Olympic team. Who were the Kris Drapers and Shane Doan's of that team? Don't say Mike Peca, as he had twenty five goals that year compared to Draper's pace of two. As Gretzky said after winning gold in Salt Lake, he picked the best players available and they adapted to roles. I don't know when that philosophy changed, but picking roles seems to be the new strategy.

It is not a new strategy. It's the same strategy that was used in 1998. And we sucked bones.

In 2002, all the players were potent offensively. At the worlds last season, we had too many pluckers. Draper is of no use. H

Feb 24, 2004
Draper can score when needed. He has great speed and a great slapshot. Again, there is obviously a reason gretzky picked him, and like someone else said, he knows a little more than the rest of us.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I really dont get it.
Nash was tied with Kovalchuk + Iginla for the most goals in the NHL last time hockey was played. He got on the team PURELY based on that season as he just came back from injury and has 3 goals to his name. Staal + Spezza are among the leaders in points in the NHL right now with Staal having the most goals in the NHL and Spezza having chemistry with Heatly... and they dont make it. Sure, I suppose Thorton + Sakic are ahead of them at center on the depth chart. Yet to tell you the truth, Richards hasn't been impressive at all this season, but I'll let it slide. Now Draper, ***, this guy's points this season can be counted with the fingers of one hand... he wouldnt make ANY team... yet alone supposedly the best one in Canada. Sheesh! Then Smyth or Doan get the 13th forward spot. Both are wingers, when its ideal that the 13th forward be a center so he can be involved in important faceoff plays in case the other center gets tossed out or fill in at center or wing on any line if an injury was to occur. A center playing wing is better than a winger playing center. Smyth, I'll grant him his numerous appearances at the Worlds and accept his presence on the team. Sure Shanahan, Sullivan, and Kariya may have deserved it more than him, especially Shanahan... yet so be it. I have NO idea why Doan is on there, seriously, even as the 13th forward, he dosen't cut it. If you dont want Staal in fear of lack of experience, use Marleu, he is much better!

Anyways, I think Spezza should have taken Drapers spot as one of the centers and played with Heatly. I also think Staal should have been the 13th forward instead of Doan. Crosby was rightfully left of the team I think. The whole immediate taxi squad announcement was just to appease the fans, who would have otherwise torn Hockey Canada appart with questions of where is Staal + Spezza... at least now they can say they will be going to Turin anyways and may get a chance to play.

Shame.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
psycho_dad said:
Some people are asking this question, and they are all those people who think that 4 scoring lines would be a brilliant idea, and that Canada should go with that.

No, there are also plenty of people asking this question who understand the need for checking/PK types, but think that Draper has looked washed-up this year, and that several better options were available.

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
Brule said:
Yes it is.

No, it is'n't.

It's no like some exhibition game this one.
Gretzky & Co. selected guys who can do their job as a team and can do their jobs as individuals.

Kris Draper doesn't need to score goals. Plenty of others who can do that.
He has to kill penalty's and outplay some of the best forwards in the world.
That's why he is on Team Canada.
He can do that and he will.

Brad*

They're building a hockey team, not a fantasy team. You need guys who will fill a role, not just the guys with the most talent. Draper has proven that he can fill that role on the Olympic stage before. That's why he's on the team.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Lets see, he still has good speed which helps on the big ice. He can play both center and wing, good on face offs, has past success with Team Canada and with the new rules even even the Canadian team will need penalty killers. And when the game is on the line and you need someone to kill a penalty Draper is one of the best.

Fryer

Sep 1, 2005
bearcat11 said:
Are you saying Bobbi Clarke is worse than a monkey? ;)

CoyotesIce99

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Draper is chosen because he can kill penalties, he can be an energy player, he is a winner, he can hit & check opponent top players, he can skate, he is a vocal leader, he blocks shots, he has played many must win games, he can play any role even a role of a healthy scratch.
When you are facing opponent top players like Jagr, Selanne, Koivu, Kovalchuk, Dimetra, Nagy, Tkachuk, etc., who do you send out to check these players.

Tell me if you can teach Crosby & Spezza to do these in one week & can do it very well & consistently?

Did you remember a huge goal Draper scored in 2004 World Cup against the Czechs?

bearcat11

Mar 14, 2005
Nova Scotia
Who cares if he's the best penalty killer, he's not good at anything else. I'm sure there are other Canadian players who are pretty much just as good at killing penalties as he is, but are far less one dimensional.

Assasin05

Nov 20, 2005
Chileiceman said:
Why did Gretzky pick Kris Draper for this team?
In 34 games he has 1 goal and 7 points. If he wanted a defensive forward he should of gone with Lapperiere or someone else.
But really, having all the talent that Canada has why even have a defensive line? Staal, Spezza and Crosby are all better choices than Kris Draper for crying out loud.
Sometimes I wonder if Gretzky or whoever made this team, has been following the NHL this year. This team looks almost exactly like the 04 World Cup team. IMO these international tournaments are so short that "international experience" isn't worth all that much.

This team can't just be all offense. Its olympic hockey not the new NHL. You think Stall Spezza and Crosby can just run over the defencemen and draw penalties? Draper has the overall experience to prove his worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->