What is Jake Gardiner??

what is Jake Gardiner?

• Total voters

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't care where people rank him. Just show me why and his conparables with stats.

It seems the excuse is always. Because its Jake.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
NOT really. He allows his man to make the pass/play because he is not physical or applies pressure on them.
Gardiner is actually pretty good at shepherding people to the outside with his good footwork and then getting a stick check in, which he is also good at.

I'd like an option that says "The most underrated player in the NHL" as seeing leaf fans call him a number 5 is beyond laughable

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't care where people rank him. Just show me why and his conparables with stats.

It seems the excuse is always. Because its Jake.

I'm a big Gardiner fan, but I can totally understand the criticism that comes his way - he's very soft in his own zone and is a giveaway machine.

That can't be denied. I tend to see the offensive side of his game as great, and I think that makes up for his defensive issues.

But those issues exist

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gardiner is actually pretty good at shepherding people to the outside with his good footwork and then getting a stick check in, which he is also good at.

I'd like an option that says "The most underrated player in the NHL" as seeing leaf fans call him a number 5 is beyond laughable

Can you imagine talking to Lou and Babcock and telling them that Jake is a 3rd pairing D, probably worth trading for a 2nd rounder or less.

Good question, how many would trade Jake for a 2nd round pick.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm a big Gardiner fan, but I can totally understand the criticism that comes his way - he's very soft in his own zone and is a giveaway machine.

That can't be denied. I tend to see the offensive side of his game as great, and I think that makes up for his defensive issues.

But those issues exist

We discussed that. He has the puck more so he has the highest probability of the D. He makes things happen, just like EK and many other D in the league. He isn't as good but that stuff happens with his and Morgans game.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Can you imagine talking to Lou and Babcock and telling them that Jake is a 3rd pairing D, probably worth trading for a 2nd rounder or less.

Good question, how many would trade Jake for a 2nd round pick.
i would

if we're talking about his rights next season and he wants too much money for management

otherwise nah

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Gardiner is a solid #3 or #4, below average #2, and, very scary #1!

JMHO.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

Hes really really good at defence. Too bad you can't see it with your bias against him.

i'm not bias against him and i use the eye test rather than stats. like how he is soft against his man and lets them do whatever they want. that stuff doesn't get recorded does it?

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto

Looks another defenseman who does way worse without Gardiner. Gardiner deserves a big contract just for convincing Ottawa Dion was decent.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
i'm not bias against him and i use the eye test rather than stats. like how he is soft against his man and lets them do whatever they want. that stuff doesn't get recorded does it?
So if you used your eyes when watching Gardiner you'd notice how he limits shots in the slot and generally pushes the forwards to the edge of the rink. Gardiner is great defensively in a 1v1.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
i'm not bias against him and i use the eye test rather than stats. like how he is soft against his man and lets them do whatever they want.
Apparently they don't like to score then, or get good chances.

that stuff doesn't get recorded does it?
If he is soft and lets opposing players walk all over him and do what they want, they will score a lot against him (which doesn't happen), or at least create lots of chances overall (which doesn't happen), or in particular from areas of the ice where he is defending (which doesn't happen).

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
So if you used your eyes when watching Gardiner you'd notice how he limits shots in the slot and generally pushes the forwards to the edge of the rink. Gardiner is great defensively in a 1v1.
not true. the forwards move to the edge of the rink themselves. he doesn't engage in any physicality whatsoever

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Looks another defenseman who does way worse without Gardiner. Gardiner deserves a big contract just for convincing Ottawa Dion was decent.

I agree. Gardiner is a very good D man who gets a lot of bad rap as his partner is hot garbage. Zietsev made Morgan look bad and he has done the same to Gardiner.
My issue with Gardiner is far to often he is happy to be second to the puck.

He still makes a few to many big mistakes but he more than makes up for it with all the great plays.

He is our second best D man behind Rielly.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I can't consider any defence of top 3 calibre when consistency is a major issue.

He needs to take adderall or something.
I mean the guy is top 7 or so in the league for points among defenders. His offense has been pretty consistent since December 1st with his defensive play following soon after

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I can't consider any defence of top 3 calibre when consistency is a major issue.

He needs to take adderall or something.

Yet somehow he always has net positive stats in that dept. Does he make obvious mistakes? Yes he does, but in the grand scheme very few end up in our own net. More goals are scored against with the Rielly pairing, pretty sure.

That is not a slight on Morgan! Morgan has been great!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree. Gardiner is a very good D man who gets a lot of bad rap as his partner is hot garbage. Zietsev made Morgan look bad and he has done the same to Gardiner.

He still makes a few to many big mistakes but he more than makes up for it with all the great plays.

I agree with Z making Morgan look bad. It's just true.There is no doubt we locked in far to long for an unproven player and are hoping he gets better.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

This is his biggest flaw. He will let the other player get to the puck along the boards first sometimes as he relies on his stick check defensively anyways

Reactions: thewave

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
This is real simple and you can search your own stats , the Reilly FanBoys who insist he is our #1 D and a true #1 anywhere all say Gards is a 3-4 or lower , the guys who understand hockey all say Jake is a #1 and the stats prove it Top 10 in the league every year in shot suppression , top 10 in the league in preventing HDCA as shown in the chart here above , top of the charts in points by a Defenseman . The guy gets hobbled by anchors all year , Marincin , Carrick , Zaits and still he is the best on our team , put him with a fellow real deal Hainsey and the two of them dominate , our best shut down stats of the year came while Reilly was out so obviously Jake sucks right ? figure it out bud .

Reactions: thewave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad