What is Jake Gardiner??

what is Jake Gardiner?

• Total voters

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gardiner gets a pass for that.

But Seguin walked through him on the rebound like he was an open door. Box out your man!

Rielly has that happen sometimes. EK has that happen a lot. Doughty has that happen sometimes, lots of guys lol. It's Seguin, that kinda crap happens have you all lost your Hockey marbles?

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
but it's the same bone-headed errors on rinse cycle and repeat, when Jake gives himself that moment to think that's when the bad stuff happens, you can see the indecision in his body language and then the inevitable bad decision that follows...

does he make some great plays, sure no doubt he's got some good offensive IQ....

Bad Stuff

breaking up a cycle by fishing around with his stick does not solve any problems nor break's any cycle up but man it sure creates problems for his team-mates, not using his body when it will break up a play quite easily, or nullify a scoring chance also creates problems for his team-mates, nobody gets beaten to the outside more then Gardiner which creates problems for the goaltender when the attacker has momentum going around the net, a quick push on the inside shoulder of the attacker turns that play into the corner every time and allows the defense to set up.

I didn't mind those tendencies when he first started making regular appearance's if only because of his potential offensive abilities, elite skater, above average puck handling accurate shot. I really thought he'd polish all those defensive deficiencies out of his game and become a 50-55 points a year guy and if he was I could overlook the other stuff. He's 42nd in total scoring amongst Dmen over the last 5 years which is .4PPG, which is a nice accomplishment, 51st in GP 47th in PPTOI 46th in PPpts.

Just my opinion but he doesn't bring enough offense to make up for the lack of defense

100% in total agreement !
Just watch him play game in game out !
Excellent breakdown
Thank you for the analytics, I’m not a huge fan of it ( too old school I’ll admit ) as a scounting report )

But really just watch him play !

ruKus calls it like I sees it!
Gooooo F€£¥in LEAFS Go !

Reactions: 54thecup

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Rielly has that happen sometimes. EK has that happen a lot. Doughty has that happen sometimes, lots of guys lol. It's Seguin, that kinda crap happens have you all lost your Hockey marbles?

Can you identify what went wrong on that specific play without playing the deflecting game?

Watch it again:

Seguin gets to his rebound unimpeded. In fact, he glides past Gardiner. It isn't a herculean effort by Seguin by any stretch of the imagination. Bad rebound from McElhinney as well, but Gardiner makes it far too easy for Seguin to get to that rebound.

Get your stick up, two hands, put it into his chest, and box him out!

You know, for all the bellyaching some of you do about Jake being treated unfairly, you sure do swing to the other end of the spectrum to defend him.

Reactions: Cotton

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Seguin only had one goal.
Fair enough, thought he had two for some reason. Gardiner was caught flat footed because of the unlucky bounce off the official and so Seguin just blew by him as he was already skating towards the net while Gardiner had to change direction. Tough play in general.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Can you identify what went wrong on that specific play without playing the deflecting game?

Watch it again:

Seguin gets to his rebound unimpeded. In fact, he glides past Gardiner. It isn't a herculean effort by Seguin by any stretch of the imagination. Bad rebound from McElhinney as well, but Gardiner makes it far too easy for Seguin to get to that rebound.

You know, for all the bellyaching some of you do about Jake being treated unfairly, you sure do swing to the other end of the spectrum to defend him.

A) The puck went off the Ref
B) Polak looked hilarious
C) It happened very fast, he got the shot off and there was a juicy rebound.
D) He also lost his footing right after the ref blocked it

It's just a hockey play but Polak looked hilarious. I am sure they were both caught off guard when the ref got into the play blocking Jake from clearing it.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The more games go by, its clear Rielly is our best d man. All though this was obvious 2 years ago.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I have no data to back me up but Gardiners bone-head plays/60 has to be near the top of the league. It will be a sad day if the leafs elect to re-sign him this coming off season. Promote Dermott to 2nd pair, trade Gardiner this off season for whatever assets they you can get.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Watch it again:

That's a bad play by Gardiner, and the OT play was terrible by him too.

BUT Gardiner's technique is around him using his stick to give no shooting option, and if that fails he quickly gets out of the way to not the screen goalie. IMO he was not expecting McBackup to let such a juicy rebound out. If you look at the replay right before Seguin takes the shot you'll see what I mean. However I agree that any D should always be in position to box out people for a rebound.

I have no data to back me up but Gardiners bone-head plays/60 has to be near the top of the league. It will be a sad day if the leafs elect to re-sign him this coming off season. Promote Dermott to 2nd pair, trade Gardiner this off season for whatever assets they you can get.

There's no 'bone-head plays/60' out there, but you can use High-Danger Chances to track how often he does make dumb plays that lead to those high-danger chances (Keep in mind that Rielly/Hainsey play the top QoC so their numbers look kinda bad because of that). Here's our top-4D:
Hainsey: 12.52 HD Chances against/60
Rielly: 12.39 HD Chances against/60
Zaitsev: 11.56 HD Chances against/60
Gardiner: 10.07 HD Chances against/60
He also lets in the least HD Goals against/60 on the team when he's on the ice.

Also, I don't get how people are thinking he's easily replaceable. He has played the 5th most 5v5 minutes in the entire league. Of course Rielly/Hainsey take the hard opposition matchup while Gardiner is used for everything else, but that is a LOT of minutes you have to replace. Also, Zaitsev has been terrible with everyone. Are you expecting the 2nd pair to be Dermott-Zaitsev? Because if you think Dermott can just step in and carry a 2nd pairing with Zaitsev then you're being very optimistic (ESPECIALLY since Hainsey is slowly declining, Borgman-Lilijegren/Carrick will be the 3rd pair).

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly _______
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Zaitsev
Carrick Liljegren

Gardiner for a top 4 RHD should help

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah that play in OT that lead to the Marner penalty was really bad. He just kind of overthought/overhandled the puck and put himself in a useless spot causing the turnover.

Reactions: 54thecup

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If you looked hard enough through Gardiner's dead eyes you could see the hamster running on his wheel, and pin-point the exact moment when the hamster fell off.

Reactions: therealkoho

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If you looked hard enough through Gardiner's dead eyes you could see the hamster running on his wheel, and pin-point the exact moment when the hamster fell off.

When the ref jumps into the puck and makes an amazing g pass? Yeah that startles a lot of guy, surprised he recovered as well as he did. Stumble included.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
When the ref jumps into the puck and makes an amazing g pass? Yeah that startles a lot of guy, surprised he recovered as well as he did. Stumble included.

The ref was in his way in overtime when he gave the puck away? Sorry I must've missed that part.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The ref was in his way in overtime when he gave the puck away? Sorry I must've missed that part.

He ended the night even and with a point. I get the pile on is always fun but sometimes the win isn't enough. He didn't cost us the game, Polak cost us our tender. Crickets about Polak, pile on Jake.

Weird

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He ended the night even and with a point. I get the pile on is always fun but sometimes the win isn't enough. He didn't cost us the game, Polak cost us our tender. Crickets about Polak, pile on Jake.

Weird

I agree Polak being an idiot is a bigger problem, but they are both significant issues imo. Gardiner dicks around with the puck waaay too much.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Fair enough, thought he had two for some reason. Gardiner was caught flat footed because of the unlucky bounce off the official and so Seguin just blew by him as he was already skating towards the net while Gardiner had to change direction. Tough play in general.

Gardiner had ample time to reset. In fact he quickly and effectively reversed.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
A) The puck went off the Ref
B) Polak looked hilarious
C) It happened very fast, he got the shot off and there was a juicy rebound.
D) He also lost his footing right after the ref blocked it

It's just a hockey play but Polak looked hilarious. I am sure they were both caught off guard when the ref got into the play blocking Jake from clearing it.

Deflect deflect deflect deflect.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Gardiner is literally a litmus test to point out dumb fans, he's the reason Phaneuf got traded, he's 3rd in the league in 5 on 5 minutes, his numbers fancy and regular are great across the stats line.

Gardiner has never had a quality partner, his cup of tea with Hainsey made him look superb, obviously Gardiner still has his limitations in that he needs sheltered minutes. He's not a perfect defenseman but easily a top 60 defenseman in the league.

Personally have always wanted to see him and Rielly as a pair.

And for everyone that bashes him, how many better defenseman on the Leafs have you see in the cap ear? Maybe Kaberle, definitely Rielly and.... you want to let him walk?
i pointed that out in my post so thanks for the reiteration

problem is if you want to be a SC champ that's a guy you may not trust in the line-up with 20+minutes

and no I DO NOT WANT TO "LET HIM WALK" i have no idea how your fevered mind came up with that, but it's a fabrication, what I do want to do is move him and upgrade

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He screwed up that situation for sure. Also didn't like how he skated himself into a corner in OT. Knew that was going bad the moment I saw what route he wanted to take.

The OT play, sure. No harm no foul, but that play was not as bad as people think. The ref jumped into the puck and it was a gift for one of the best players in the game. The fact he even recovered as well as he did was noteworthy. If it happened to Polak, Carrick etc you know they are twisting out of shape.

Unfortunate hockey play, he could have done better, sure but he very easily could have recovered worse.

Was Polak actually sweeping the ice there??

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad