What is getting more attention in the remaining 4 countries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jericho

Oct 1, 2002
Visit site
JohnnyChoice said:
In Sweden, FInland, Czech and Russia, what do people seem to care about more- Olympic hockey or UEFA Cup?

Well I'll assume you mean the Champions League, not the UEFA Cup (which comes across as more of a JV tournament than anything). The Champions League is big, but it is still club soccer, not national teams. And none of the major clubs are in Sweden, Finland, the Czech Republic, or Russia. They are mostly in Spain, England, and Italy (with other secondary leagues in Germany, Holland, and Portgal among others). In fact, while Russia is decent in soccer, I'd say only Sweden and the Czechs are really good. I suspect Olympic Hockey tops everything right now, and by a wide margin.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Listening to the complaining from family and friends back home about Chelsea-Barcelona not being on live TV in Canada, I'd say there are probably more people in Canada that care more about the Champions League over the Olympics than there are in Finland. ;)

Waseda

Feb 22, 2006
Sweden
Hockey is getting the most attention in Sweden. I'm a huge football fan and the WC beats all other sport events. I missed Chelski - Barcelona today, I watched Slovakia - Czech and Russia - Canada instead. It was a bummer that they aired at the same time but it wasn't a tough decision, Olympic Hockey beats the Champions League.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
huh, they're playing football??

during the world championships you're always aware that the champions league final is about to happen.. now, the champions league is like non existent. It's not on the map of one's mind.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Olympics. National-wise.

Now, if the Czechs or the Swedes could choose between an Olympic gold, or winning the World Cup in football.... That would be interesting to hear.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
jepjepjoo said:
In Finnish media its more like curling 100 - hockey 0 :propeller

Yeah but that is because of one man. No...not a man...a supreme being. The 5th element. M15

Everyone knows hockey is the #1 sport here, so nobody needs to wonder about it...but when curling suddenly became one of the hottest events in these olympics, media is of course puzzled and wants to ride with the wave.

Uusis, we're not worthy! :bow: :bow:

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
Raimo Sillanpää said:
huh, they're playing football??

during the world championships you're always aware that the champions league final is about to happen.. now, the champions league is like non existent. It's not on the map of one's mind.

Same here, didnt even know the UEFA Cup was on.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Corto said:
Olympics. National-wise.

Now, if the Czechs or the Swedes could choose between an Olympic gold, or winning the World Cup in football.... That would be interesting to hear.
The World Cup in football, by far. Football is a much bigger sport (a truly GLOBAL sport) than hockey and it's much, much more difficult to win gold in football than in hockey.

Thus, the decision is not that hard. The World Cup in Germany this summer is bigger than the Olympics.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
psycho_dad said:
Yeah but that is because of one man. No...not a man...a supreme being. The 5th element. M15

Everyone knows hockey is the #1 sport here, so nobody needs to wonder about it...but when curling suddenly became one of the hottest events in these olympics, media is of course puzzled and wants to ride with the wave.

Uusis, we're not worthy! :bow: :bow:

UFA, UFO...what!? We are just hockey ;)

Uusis is the man! :yo:

http://www.uusis.youaremighty.com/

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Chimp said:
The World Cup in football, by far. Football is a much bigger sport than hockey and it's much, much more difficult to win gold in football than in hockey.

Thus, the decision is not that hard.

True. The World Cup is just immense. Almost surreal.
But the Euro Champ of Soccer... I value not so high, even if it's a tough competition too.

Hockey Olympic Gold > Soccer Euro Champ

freppa

Feb 21, 2006
Corto said:
Olympics. National-wise.

Winning a World Cup, or even a European Championship. It's not even remotely close.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Euro Champion? The question was WORLD champion, not EURO.

If Sweden would beat, say, Brazil in the World Championship final in football, it would be so huge you can't describe it by words. An Olympic gold in hockey can't be compared, it's too small.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
In Finland:

Olympic hockey gold > Formula 1 championship >>>>>> everything else

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
blacklabel said:
How Finland is doing in curling?? Hockey is the only sport I follow in these Olympics.

They're playing in the gold medal game tomorrow against Canada.

Edit: Duh, slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad