What is everyones thoughts on Malkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
What is your general impression about the kid so far? (aside from the "showboating" after the empty net :D ) I would like to hear other opinions.

I think the kid has great playmaking abilities and a sick shot. He absolutely unloaded that 4th goal last night on Montoya. I personally think he needs to shoot more, given his goal scoring abilitities, but he truly is an unselfish player. He is very mobile too for his 6'4 200lb frame as well. He started off with a good tournament, but in the last couple games he has been great. Its nice to see that he has stepped up when it matters. I can't wait to have him n Pittsburgh. Enough from me though, being that I am a Pittsburgh fan, I would like to hear more unbiased opinions. :yo:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've only seem him play twice against the US, and although he didn't do very much in the first game, I thought he was very impressive.

Looks like he's filled out quite a bit from draft day. Very good skater for someone his size. I'd be more excited about him than Fleury if I was Pens fan.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I personally think Malkin is right on par with Ovechkin. I was very impressed. He seems to have great vision, and can also put the puck in the net. I'm a Ranger and USA fan so I don't really have a bias. I only saw the two US-Russia games so take my opinion for what it's worth, but I think he COULD be better then AO if not at least a similar caliber of player. I could see Malkin becoming a player very similar to Mats Sundin. Thats who he made me think of.

To me...

Malkin-Sundin
AO-stronger Kovalchuk

Kasparov*

Ovechkin hasn't really impressed me... but i like Malkin, he's so big, great skater and i can't wait to see him in the NHL!

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Barnaby said:
I personally think Malkin is right on par with Ovechkin. I was very impressed. He seems to have great vision, and can also put the puck in the net. I'm a Ranger and USA fan so I don't really have a bias. I only saw the two US-Russia games so take my opinion for what it's worth, but I think he COULD be better then AO if not at least a similar caliber of player. I could see Malkin becoming a player very similar to Mats Sundin. Thats who he made me think of.

To me...

Malkin-Sundin
AO-stronger Kovalchuk

Yeah, he reminds a bit of Sundin with his long reach and soft passes. Less physical but more creative I would say..

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
In game 2 - a lesser sundin would be a fair comparison but in game 1 he reminded me of Viktor Kozlov -- on his listless nights

From a Pens fans perspective, I am excited yet at the same time nervous

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
He reminds me of Spezza. He's bigger though and with the same kind of vision but maybe not the same dipsydoodle abilities.

He looks smooth, that's for sure.
Its funny when you compare it to the draft where Kovalchuk and Spezza went 1-2. Ovechkin and Malkin seem to be cut from the same cloth.

but in game 1 he reminded me of Viktor Kozlov -- on his listless nights

hmmm...interesting his name popped into my head once or twice as well....who knows at this stage.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I was very impressed with every aspect of Malkin's game. He's shown he can throw hits, skate like the wind, shoot, pass, etc. I'm very excited about him. I'm not going to compare him to Ovechkin any longer because they are both amazing players. The way I see it, Ovechkin's the explosive goal scorer while Malkin's the smooth playmaker. They would complement each other so well if they were ever on the same line.

Ovechkin :bow: Malkin :bow: Should definitely revive the Pens-Caps rivalry.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Aki Fan said:
In game 2 - a lesser sundin would be a fair comparison but in game 1 he reminded me of Viktor Kozlov -- on his listless nights

From a Pens fans perspective, I am excited yet at the same time nervous

Wouldn't be too concerned. He's a heck of a lot better then Kozlov...

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Remembering that he is still just a kid and has a long way to go, I'm quite impressed with what I saw in that 2nd US game (little too much egg nogg on x-mas and forgot about the first one....doh!). He still looks way too thin and will likely be able to add even more to his game with another 20lbs or so. As a Caps fan I'm hesitant to give anything to the Pens or any of their players but I think with what he showed me in the 1 whole game I've seen him coupled with what he's doing in thr RSL this year I'm not real happy he's on the Pens roster.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
cassius said:
What is your general impression about the kid so far? (aside from the "showboating" after the empty net :D ) I would like to hear other opinions.

I think the kid has great playmaking abilities and a sick shot. He absolutely unloaded that 4th goal last night on Montoya. I personally think he needs to shoot more, given his goal scoring abilitities, but he truly is an unselfish player. He is very mobile too for his 6'4 200lb frame as well. He started off with a good tournament, but in the last couple games he has been great. Its nice to see that he has stepped up when it matters. I can't wait to have him n Pittsburgh. Enough from me though, being that I am a Pittsburgh fan, I would like to hear more unbiased opinions. :yo:

He impressed me w/his ability to create space for his linemates and make plays. You noticed him more during the game because when Ovechkin gets the puck he typically puts it on net immediately. Malkin's plays took longer to develop and were less threatening IMO. He and AO are both elite passers, but EM thinks pass first. He'll be an All-Star.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
I play my game, the same game I’m used to playing. It is a passing game. I play for my partners.

Names like Ron Francis, Mats Sundin, and Joe Sakic come to mind. But I also think he is alot more physical than he is being given credit for. He initiates contact alot more than those players. I also like the way he worked the rightwing boards on the powerplay. Its VERY tough finding a weakness in his game.

CH Wizard

Malkin is the real deal.Yesterday(I saw the game on RDS) , He wasn't lazy at all.He almost killed O'Sullivan in the last minute.I said almost killed.He was pretty decent defensively.His skating isn't bad (for a big guy like him)either.He was also solid offensively , He scored a goal on a empty net but He did some real nice moves to get that goal.I hope He'll impress even more in the final.

Just my 2 cents.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
b-mad said:
As a Caps fan I'm hesitant to give anything to the Pens or any of their players but I think with what he showed me in the 1 whole game I've seen him coupled with what he's doing in thr RSL this year I'm not real happy he's on the Pens roster.

I dont think ive ever heard a truer statement made on these boards. The feeling from Pens fans is mutual. From going 1st and 2nd, to being team mates, to playing as fierce rivals. It will be a pleasure watching these polar opposites for the next 10-20 yrs.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Grave77digger said:
I dont think ive ever heard a truer statement made on these boards. The feeling from Pens fans is mutual. From going 1st and 2nd, to being team mates, to playing as fierce rivals. It will be a pleasure watching these polar opposites for the next 10-20 yrs.

LOL.....yeah, should be fun seeing these two go at it for a long time. Remember though, AO's a much better hitter.....watch out Malkin!

Plus if these two pan out close to what they look to be we get to keep up this AO vs Malkin stuff forever......woohoo! :D

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Malkin comes as advertised, an elite playmaking prospect with size. As for their performances just in the tourney to date, well Ovechkin sits as co-leader in scoring with 11 points, while Malkin's just behind with 10. They don't get as much ink in Canada as the Canadian duo of Bergeron-Crosby, and for obvious reasons, but it's not a question of production with these two. They are among the top players in the tournament.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Looks like Fedorov, only bigger. That was the first name that popped in my head when he has the puck on his stick. Seeing that he's 10 months younger than Ovechkin, it's not out of the realm of my possibility that he could have a better NHL career than Ovechkin.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Pure smooth. He is a very good skater (although not explosive like Ovechkin) and skates like Lemieux: long, smooth strides. He has a good shot too and is a great passer. I have been very impressed with him this tournament.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
k

since he is on my fantasy hockey team, i was watching him more carefully than anyoen else in this WJC!

the Viktor Kozlov comparison is accurate, so is the Fedorov one. i think he will score more than Kozlov though because Kozlov never had a good shot, where is Malkin seems to have Fedorov's slap shot and wrister. so i think Malkin is more like Fedorov...and bigger too. Fedorov may be just a bit faster, thats about it. either way, this guy is the real deal and will still IMPROVE

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
2forsbergaura1 said:
since he is on my fantasy hockey team, i was watching him more carefully than anyoen else in this WJC!

the Viktor Kozlov comparison is accurate, so is the Fedorov one. i think he will score more than Kozlov though because Kozlov never had a good shot, where is Malkin seems to have Fedorov's slap shot and wrister. so i think Malkin is more like Fedorov...and bigger too. Fedorov may be just a bit faster, thats about it. either way, this guy is the real deal and will still IMPROVE

If you watched carefully, you might want to point out that Malkin is first and foremost a great playmaker before a shooter... :dunno: His shooting is below what I expected actually.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
If you watched carefully, you might want to point out that Malkin is first and foremost a great playmaker before a shooter... :dunno: His shooting is below what I expected actually.

CLEARLY he is a playmaker first...i didnt even have to mention that. people compare him to fedorov and kozlov BECAUSE those are playmakers. so i expect him to score less and assist more...something like 25-30 goals and maybe 40-45 assists in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad