World Cup: What if WCOH took place during the NHL season…

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
wild thought thinking about how to bring back the WCOH…in-season tournaments are garnering more attention across many leagues. It’s been wildly successful in generating interest during the Winter Olympics as well.

What if, in the same manner as the Olympics, the NHL shut down every 4 years for WCOH? This way NHL gets guaranteed revenue from the WCOH and gets to operate independently out of the shadows if the IOH, while generating significant interest in the tournament (the last one right around preseason was pretty lame). Probably also get more TV contract bids as well

If they keep the Olympics as well, then basically they can take part in an international tournament every 2 years, and sub in the ASG in between. Variety, and win-win on all fronts.

Thoughts?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Someone needs to convince the NHL that a beat on best can make more money than those absolutely awful all star games.

Reactions: SensHulk

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Someone needs to convince the NHL that a beat on best can make more money than those absolutely awful all star games.
That’s the other side of the coin…doing WCOH during the season essentially replaces the need for all star game without completely getting rid of it. I could see myself enjoying an ASG every 2 years instead…

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That’s the other side of the coin…doing WCOH during the season essentially replaces the need for all star game without completely getting rid of it. I could see myself enjoying an ASG every 2 years instead…
I skip the ASG as it's not a sport that is good for all star games. Eg. Basketball is fun to see the dunks, baseball is cool. American football is another one that I don't think is much fun. Soccer doesn't need it because they have best on bests constantly.

Some kind of rotation would be amazing... February and I think in the warm places like Vegas, Cali, Florida etc. I'd have no problem flying to Vegas for a week to watch my Czechs get beat by Canada!

1. Olympics with NHL participation

2. some kind of all star game or a NA vs Europe game ryder cup style

3. WCOH - I'd like it as a round robin and the top 2 play for Gold personally

4. Some kind of all star game or a NA vs Europe game ryder cup style

REPEAT for the rest of my existence and iron out the mistakes with each one till we have something similar to a soccer international schedule!

Reactions: SensHulk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad