What if there WILL be a cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Flames Go*

Madevilz said:
What will the teams with a salary really over the cap do? (talking about 10-20 millions)
Trading away players?
Releasing players?

No is not gonna be something that hits teams right away, teams will be given time to phase in the new rules prolly a 2 year thing to get team to a certian salary point.

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
If people would read one of the thousands of Larry Brooks articles people have regurgitated onto the internet they'd know of this little plan. Larry was hyperventilating about this in one of his articles. Teams would be able to sign as many onto the roster and pay as they wish, but, they , upon enactment of the cap, would then choose a roster equaling $30 million . Players put on "release" or whatever, would still be paid. They could be chosen in a dispersal draft in which selecting team pays nothing and the former team pays it all. If not selected in the dispersal draft, their former team pays it all. Larry says that's the owners' nefarious plan.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
And its such a silly plan I doubt its real. Who is going to pick a $9m player with a $31m cap. Its far more likely that teams will be given the option over 3 years to bring their teams salary down. No signing UFAs or resigning $9m players to $9m deals.

Its going to hurt the older overpaid like Amonte's & Leclairs worse.They'd be going from $6m & $9m to $1m. Players like KT, Sundin, Weight are going to find themselves as UFAs, and their UFA offers will be about 30%-40% of their current contracts, because they earn so much now and the team's payrolls will be taken up leaving very little offer them. Rude shock.

The UFAs market is going to be flooded and teams won't have much cap space. RFAs will be dumped to make way for the now cheap UFAs. Over the course of three years there will be a lot of players moving around until things settle.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Then again I think the $31m cap is ruse by the NHL.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
Hmm, won't the CBA be like one in NBA where you can resign your own players to as much money as you want, but if you're over the cap you just can't sign UFAs?

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
me2 said:
And its such a silly plan I doubt its real. Who is going to pick a $9m player with a $31m cap.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Then again I think the $31m cap is ruse by the NHL.
Oh yeah. That's right, I forgot a detail from the Brooks article . It is unrealistic as presented. In Brooks' article when a team selects a player who is selected from another team, it does not count against their salary cap. So the team will have one of its' players selected, they will continue to pay the player's salary, and it will not count against the selecting team's salary cap.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
fan mao rong said:
If people would read one of the thousands of Larry Brooks articles people have regurgitated onto the internet they'd know of this little plan.

Perhaps people are just bright enough not to listen to Brooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad