Speculation: What If the Rangers Win the Lottery?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I’d be so happy with winning the #1 pick.

Seriously would be over the moon.
I'd be on the first flight to Dallas. Even if we get the second pick (Svechnikov). The third is too risky. One would think Zadina or Boqvist but who knows?!

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We will be very happy and then start tearing each other apart over who to pick (especially if its #2 or #3)

Barring injury there should be no doubt who number two should be. Fits the Rangers on so many different levels.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I feel like we could have McDavid, Crosby, Stamkos, and Barkov and people would still say we need a center. It's just a meme.
Eh, I get it. Recent cup winners have very clear 1Cs and we don't have a player like that. However, we have some guys who may become that in Mika and Chytil, and we have nobody who can reasonably be thought to be a 1D. Maybe, maybe Skjei but it's a long shot. Maybe Hajek simply because it hasn't been proven to be totally insane and unrealistic yet but also doubtful.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I feel like we could have McDavid, Crosby, Stamkos, and Barkov and people would still say we need a center. It's just a meme.

No, it’s long been a problem. In all my time as a Ranger fan, the Rangers have rarely ever been as strong as other teams at the center position. They’ve usually had to import them. Part of it is luck, but it’s always s been a blind spot. It’s not a surprise that their dearth of franchise centers has led to a dearth of Cups.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No, it’s long been a problem. In all my time as a Ranger fan, the Rangers have rarely ever been as strong as other teams at the center position. They’ve usually had to import them. Part of it is luck, but it’s always s been a blind spot. It’s not a surprise that their dearth of franchise centers has led to a dearth of Cups.

It's not really a problem now. Our organizational center depth in near the top of the league. We didn't miss out on Cups from 2012-2015 because of a lack of a franchise center and you know that.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It's not really a problem now. Our organizational center depth in near the top of the league. We didn't miss out on Cups from 2012-2015 because of a lack of a franchise center and you know that.

Put Getzlaf on the first line of those teams and I’m guessing the chances at a Cup those years go up. And if the Rangers have a shot at Jack Hughes or Alex Turcotte, I don’t care what the organizational depth is, you take one of them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Put Getzlaf on the first line of those teams and I’m guessing the chances at a Cup those years go up. And if the Rangers have a shot at Jack Hughes or Alex Turcotte, I don’t care what the organizational depth is, you take one of them.
Add any superstar to those teams at any position and you could say that.

Obviously you take those guys if it happens but if we have to be terrible to get there, I'm more than happy to see where Hayes, Chytil, and Zibanejad take us instead.

If the BPA available is a center, absolutely, but I wouldn't reach for one or tank for one.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Add any superstar to those teams at any position and you could say that.

Obviously you take those guys if it happens but if we have to be terrible to get there, I'm more than happy to see where Hayes, Chytil, and Zibanejad take us instead.

If the BPA available is a center, absolutely, but I wouldn't reach for one or tank for one.

I don’t want them to reach on one either.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t want them to reach on one either.
Then I think we have an understanding. I just don't wanna go out of our way because "Rangers need a center!"

We could certainly use one, and it's not locked down like goaltender. I wouldn't touch a goalie with a 10 foot pole. That said, I wouldn't call us desperate for one.

What I would do for sure is phone Tavares' agent and get a price, but impose a strict limit on how high we go. And if we miss him, we miss him.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Then I think we have an understanding. I just don't wanna go out of our way because "Rangers need a center!"

We could certainly use one, and it's not locked down like goaltender. I wouldn't touch a goalie with a 10 foot pole. That said, I wouldn't call us desperate for one.

What I would do for sure is phone Tavares' agent and get a price, but impose a strict limit on how high we go. And if we miss him, we miss him.

I don’t even believe the Rangers see Tavares as an option. And, my worry is that his contract will toxic three years into the deal.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t even believe the Rangers see Tavares as an option. And, my worry is that his contract will toxic three years into the deal.
The point where the contract will be toxic is where we set our limit.

Like I said, no desperation here.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
What are the odds of us winning the lottery percentage wise and has the 8th worst record ever won the lottery? I don't think the league cares who wins the lottery anymore honestly with teams like Tampa and the California teams having so much success it doesn't matter where guys are playing anymore so even though new York will always bring a bump in ratings there's so much talent spread out in the league that it doesn't even matter

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I agree 100 percent! I'd rather them pick a center than a D man for immediate impact. That's what this team needs.
Yeah, we dont need any good defenseman in front of superman (or dare I say, old man Hank) We dont need a good defensive system either. Just score 5 or 6 goals a game......that should suffice.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Yeah, we dont need any good defenseman in front of superman (or dare I say, old man Hank) We dont need a good defensive system either. Just score 5 or 6 goals a game......that should suffice.

Well, the Penguins did win a cup last year with no Letang...so....

And, I never said we didn't need a good defensive system.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

Agreed. What happens when the kids grow up and need to get paid? What will we do when we're paying JT $8MM / year until he's 36? We have to grow organically and think about the long-term as well as the short-term. Add a few pieces from UFA here and there--but let's not go crazy.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Agreed. What happens when the kids grow up and need to get paid? What will we do when we're paying JT $8MM / year until he's 36? We have to grow organically and think about the long-term as well as the short-term. Add a few pieces from UFA here and there--but let's not go crazy.
8M? Try at least 11.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah. The question was, does Dahlin instantly transform the franchise a la Crosby or is he just another nice piece to build around?
D take longer to make an impact than F. Dahlin still needs to grow into his frame more and learn how to read and react to D on the smaller ice. Once his teammates catch up to him, yes him, he’ll make his impact. It’s not like the Oilers where they just get it to McDavid and let him do his thing.

Reactions: Bozle

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
If we sign him and he sucks, though...Staal and Smith are probably both gone. Lundqvist is either gone or on a smaller contract. That's like $20 million of empty space. Our prospect group in a certain age group is weak because we kept trading picks for Keith Yandle, Eric Staal and Marty St. Louis, there's nothing to re-sign.

(I don't think we're anywhere near the market for Tavares unless we get the Dahlin pick, which is a...6% chance)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->