Speculation: What If the Rangers Win the Lottery?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I agree 100 percent! I'd rather them pick a center than a D man for immediate impact. That's what this team needs.

BPA is what we should be focused on.

Tricky thing is trying to decipher who that player would be at 8. The gap between 3-8 is crazy. It’s like trying to figure out which Kardashian has had the most plastic surgery.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
There is no player in this draft that is as good of a center as Dahlin is a defenseman.

It shouldn't even be a question that if you have first overall, you pick Dahlin.

You don't pick "need" at first overall. Ever.

Can't believe this is even a discussion. The centers in this draft aren't THAT good.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
There is no player in this draft that is as good of a center as Dahlin is a defenseman.

It shouldn't even be a question that if you have first overall, you pick Dahlin.

Can't believe this is even a discussion. The centers in this draft aren't THAT good.

I really want Svechnikov, but, you get 1 OA, you take Dahlin. End of story.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

What’s so strange about this conversation is that, for the Rangers right now, picking need means picking a D anyway.

Agreed that you don’t pick need at 1st overall, although the Oilers would’ve been better served trading down in 2012 and that has nothing to do with the player Yakupov became.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
We need a top defenceman just as much as a center anyways. The only top 4 defencemen we have that's long term is Skjei. This is a much bigger problem than the center poistion.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The Rangers do have youngish center options. They can use 2018-19 to evaluate their centers.

The problem is that the Rangers, while finally having very good depth at the center position, do not have a sure fire #1 center prospect. That may be Chytil, but I’m not sure he ends up at center. Next year’s draft is shaping up to be more top heavy in regarding top line centers.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We are dreaming for what happens if the Rangers end up with the first overall pick? A) that will never happen B) It's the Rangers. Look at the history of the franchise. If they land the first overall pick, their first pick will be a goalie.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
We need a top defenceman just as much as a center anyways. The only top 4 defencemen we have that's long term is Skjei. This is a much bigger problem than the center poistion.

Him and Pionk I think has the potential. He got abused this year but he was thrown into the fire playing #1 PK/PP and shutdown guy at even strength. He passed the eye test for me in a few facets of the game.

But agreed on guys like Gilmour, O Gara, Sproul....they aren't longer term players in the NHL imo.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
The problem is that the Rangers, while finally having very good depth at the center position, do not have a sure fire #1 center prospect. That may be Chytil, but I’m not sure he ends up at center. Next year’s draft is shaping up to be more top heavy in regarding top line centers.
So that's another year we have to suck. :(

Reactions: bl02

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Imo we need d more than centers and this draft is perfectly suited for that - lots of d men who can potentially be top pairing players, not many guys at all that project to be 1Cs

Reactions: bl02

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So that's another year we have to suck. :(

I have resigned myself to the idea that in order for this rebuild to work best, another year in the lottery will be needed. Try to shortcut the process and try to compete next year, you’re going to be right where the Rangers have been most of the time...sort of a contender, but never a true favorite. Look at the Devils and Leafs...most likely the’re going to be 2nd tier playoff teams that might win a round, but never get over the hump because they weren’t able to fully complete their teams during the rebuild.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Imagine a first pairing of Dahlin and Karlsson. I'm not saying it'll happen. I'm not even saying it's likely to happen. I'm just saying: imagine it. :nod::naughty:

Reactions: Inferno

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I feel like we could have McDavid, Crosby, Stamkos, and Barkov and people would still say we need a center. It's just a meme.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->