What if russia does not win gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
With the talent gap between the russians and the rest of the field this should all but be a guaranteed gold medal.

If they don't win though the question is does russia go through a grass roots program over haul like canada did in the 90's? Or should they go through one?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There are good things going locally, things aren't nearly as bad as they used to be, but it still relies heavily on individual actors. Anything resembling a strong nationwide grassroots program like in North America there isn't.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm getting the impression hockey isn't as popular in Russia as people think. The national team draws a big following, but this has little to do with the innate popularity of the sport.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Maybe Russia caught the football virus, a few years ago Russian football clubs had a quite successful streak in Europe.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's true but nothing new, if anything I would say the opportunities to play hockey have slightly increased. It's always been more of a spectator sport. There are also geographical divisions, hockey is almost nonexistent in large parts of the country while football is followed (and played) more widely.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Russia has been "overhauling" things for years now. They are constantly overhauling if you listen to them.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's true but nothing new, if anything I would say the opportunities to play hockey have slightly increased. It's always been more of a spectator sport. There are also geographical divisions, hockey is almost nonexistent in large parts of the country while football is followed (and played) more widely.
A pile of BS your post. You obviously have no idea about Russia.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
When was the last time OP looked at the current NHL goal and point scoring leaderboards?

This is not about the nhl. Good for russia they have good indivudual players that put up goals and points. But can only win (potentially) when they have the absolute advantage over the rest of the field.

Best on best they are never any where close to the golds even though they have been a favorite to win since at the very least 2006.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
This is not about the nhl. Good for russia they have good indivudual players that put up goals and points. But can only win (potentially) when they have the absolute advantage over the rest of the field.

Best on best they are never any where close to the golds even though they have been a favorite to win since at the very least 2006.
The point was that regardless of their issues and past performances (often it has just been coaching) this roster isn't their A roster, and this tournament isn't a good metric of quality of players, yet you seem to think this gold medal game that might be decided by one shootout goal should dictate what they do with their junior programs. And if they win, suddenly everything is fine and no need to change anything? This makes no sense at all.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The point was that regardless of their issues and past performances (often it has just been coaching) this roster isn't their A roster, and this tournament isn't a good metric of quality of players, yet you seem to think this gold medal game that might be decided by one shootout goal should dictate what they do with their junior programs. And if they win, suddenly everything is fine and no need to change anything? This makes no sense at all.

Actually it makes perfect sense. Russia has a history of coming up short in jrs, mens. Even if they are favorites to win.

Considering this year russia had the biggest gap of skill and chances of winning gold. if that manages to not happen. It would be seen as even a bigger fail then every other olympic tournament fail they have to this point.

Winning doesn't erase nothing. Just something will need to be done if they lose this gold some how.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006

This is BS. Russia is behind Canada, but no one else really. Maybe tied with Sweden and the US. But in a tie for 2nd place.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
They will make a movie about the German ice hockey team. And Drai's kids will grow up wondering why daddy keeps telling anyone who will listen that he's the best German ice hockey player in the world, but he's not even in the movie.

:popcorn:

That was actually pretty funny

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I'm getting the impression hockey isn't as popular in Russia as people think. The national team draws a big following, but this has little to do with the innate popularity of the sport.

I don't think hockey has ever been the nr. 1 sport in Russia (that popular).
(not even Soviet Union times -> red machine) it is more of a, pride of their mother Russia,
well, at least that's my take on it.

Olympic winter sports, that is the most popular form of sport in Russia (my assumption)
The number 1 "thing" here in Finland as well. Same goes for Sweden too,
and most obvious one is Norway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->