What If Michaels Hadn't Hurt His Back At The '98 Royal Rumble?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
How would his career have played out and what would that have meant for the guys who became some of The Attitude Era's biggest stars (Austin, Rock, HHH, Jericho etc)?

I think he still would have lost the belt to Austin at WM, but would they have had a longer program?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Hard to know, really. Shawn was an asshole back then. Just an insufferable asshole who was impossible to work with. I agree that Austin still wins at Mania, but given how huge he was, and is, he probably becomes the new golden boy and I don't think you can stop someone as talented as The Rock. In short, Shawn's attitude and behaviour was tolerable in the context of no one else drawing money and eyeballs for Vince, if he could find someone else he'd have had no problem with it. I suspect they keep Shawn around, too talented not to, but he'd need to have changed his attitude with other top-tier talent there.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Realistically, the back was not the issue that kept Michaels out so long. If not for drugs and being paid to stay at home it isn't hard to see Michaels in WCW, which probably would have been a mess. Would have made good fodder for podcasts in the 2020s though.

If Michaels stayed in WWF I don't see how he stops Austin (who was already there) or The Rock from ascending to the top spots. Too much momentum and money behind them.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Probably doesn't impact Rock, Austin, Taker or Vince all that much.

Would of likely had an impact on HHH, Kane and Foley that year.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Realistically, the back was not the issue that kept Michaels out so long. If not for drugs and being paid to stay at home it isn't hard to see Michaels in WCW, which probably would have been a mess. Would have made good fodder for podcasts in the 2020s though.

If Michaels stayed in WWF I don't see how he stops Austin (who was already there) or The Rock from ascending to the top spots. Too much momentum and money behind them.
Especially without Hall and Nash there to help him play politics. Hunter was not powerful enough at that point.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Especially without Hall and Nash there to help him play politics. Hunter was not powerful enough at that point.
Yeah I think he would have been f***ed politically. Austin and Rock were not fans, Tri was not powerful yet, and if Michaels is still a headache but there are far bigger money makers in the company.... well, he just isn't going to carry much influence. Honestly, Tri might be one of the biggest beneficiaries of Michaels going away because he probably would have been in some awkward spots had he hung around in 1998 and 1999.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I wonder if he would got sober or not. I know he turned to religion for help but I have to think that the break from wrestling was a big factor too.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I wonder if he would got sober or not. I know he turned to religion for help but I have to think that the break from wrestling was a big factor too.

IIRC, he didn't get sober until early 2002 - he got canned from WWE in 2001ish for passing out in Vince's office (Jericho has a story of a strung out Michaels not being able to understand why Jericho was wearing Doink make-up that night as part of a storyline). Anyways, he got sober when he realized his kids were starting to be aware of how out of it he was, at least as Shawn tells it he heard his toddler say "Daddy talks funny" or something along those line when he was strung out in the middle of the day.

Reactions: Megahab

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
IIRC, he didn't get sober until early 2002 - he got canned from WWE in 2001ish for passing out in Vince's office (Jericho has a story of a strung out Michaels not being able to understand why Jericho was wearing Doink make-up that night as part of a storyline). Anyways, he got sober when he realized his kids were starting to be aware of how out of it he was, at least as Shawn tells it he heard his toddler say "Daddy talks funny" or something along those line when he was strung out in the middle of the day.

If I recall correctly the plan was to have him involved in the HHH-Taker match at WM 17 but Shawn was a mess and they nixed the idea.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I truly believe he would be dead, I don't think he would have gotten clean because he would still have been wrestling full time taking all those bumps, flying around the ring.

I think That injury saved his life.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

"Daddy's tired." is appearently the line that woke him up.

That and not being able to remember that he and his son ate all the oreo cookies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad