What if Kessel went to the CHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

tuckerdomi said:
He's playing university puck though eh?
Eh.

Well, he will. But right now he's with the national development team.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I'd love to see Kessel in a spirit jersey.. im not even a spirit fan, but I'm an OHL fan.. he could turn that Franchise around playing with Marek Kvapal.... BUT I don't see it happening as he's always been a NCAA hence the 4th round OHL draft selection.. He would have went first over mcneil in that draft... .

I think he has the potential to be a top point producer in the OHL... he's not as small as most make him out to be... I'd say if they got another sniper in Saginaw to play with Kvapal and Kessel he could put up 85 points this year as a 17 year old.. which is pretty damn good.....

The Sky's the limit for this kid... but I still think he's the second or third OVERALL 87 bday behind Crosby and then I'd say he's neck and neck with Brule..

People underestimate Gilbert Brule because he's only 5"11.. This kid can flat out play.. He's got moves.. good speed.. awesome positionally and he can hit... he brings an all around game that GM's love... His knock is that he's 5"11 which I don't think matter when he weighs and doesn't back down from anyone.. when the 6"3 200 lbsers come at him its them that usually end up on their backs... just my opinion.. I wanted him to be on Canada but we have such a deep talent pool it's hard to justify taking him... he could play top line minutes on most other countries... I never used to be that big of a Brule fan until I saw him play and boy he made me change my mind...

Kessel and Brule are different players... Kessel may be able to put up 10-15 more points in a given year in the CHL but I think it would even out with Brule's other skills..

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
An Ape called Yoko said:
How does the national development program work? Do they play with team USA the whole year and play games and such? :dunno:

There are two teams, U17 and U18. Players are scouted as 14/15 year olds and then invited to join the U17 team. The U17 team plays a full schedule as part of the NAHL (Junior A level) as well as participating in a number of tournaments. The next year that team moves up to become the U18 roster. They play a mixed schedule of Division I and III college teams, NAHL games and international tournaments.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
cagney said:
There are two teams, U17 and U18. Players are scouted as 14/15 year olds and then invited to join the U17 team. The U17 team plays a full schedule as part of the NAHL (Junior A level) as well as participating in a number of tournaments. The next year that team moves up to become the U18 roster. They play a mixed schedule of Division I and III college teams, NAHL games and international tournaments.
Thx!

Wow, sounds like a great developmental program. :handclap:

Looks like its working too.. Kessel :bow:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
he put up huge numbers in bantam, nearly 200 points. he leads the U17 team with 17 goals in 15 games, as well. I wouldn't mind seeing him go the CHL route, honestly...because it means we'd see him in the NHL, sooner :)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
OneSpeedOnly said:
Maybe if he was drafted by a bigger organization, they could swing a dela with him a la Bobby Ryan. But the Spirit? No.

Yeah, not my first choice of teams for him to play for. Doesn't he have to serve his time in Mississauga for the cycle to continue? :)

ish

Jan 3, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
I've been thinking about this possibility too and especially after seeing him play this past week I wonder why he isn't in the CHL. I usually kind of root for good young Americans to go the college route but I think Kessel is the perfect example of a kid the CHL might be a better option for. You know he's probably only going to play one year of college wherever he goes (very late to still be undecided) and that is kind of a waste in my opinion for the school to only get one year out of a player on a scholarship.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
kessel would rip up the ohl, last year he would have bettered osullivans 90 point rookie season, and would score over 100 points this year, even on a last place team like saginaw. if he was playing in the chl this year hed be alot more hyped with the canadian hockey media, and the gap btwn him and crosby would be very small. either way, ncaa will still benefit him bc he is still playing college hockey a year before his draft year against bigger and more mature opponents then in the ohl, where most ncaa players will have already been drafted before their freshman season

AgentNaslund*

It will be a better development program for Kessel if he went to the OHL.

ginnungagap

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
He's going to play college hockey so this thread is pretty much pointless.

If that's your point why bother checking out a thread named "What if Kessel went to the CHL?"? Not trying to be a jerk but unless you're Phil Kessel it's kind of hard to be definitive until the paperwork is signed. Yeah, there's a massive likelihood he's going to play college hockey next year- but if the right people talked to him and Saginaw agreed to trade his rights to a more attractive team then you never know.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
ginnungagap said:
If that's your point why bother checking out a thread named "What if Kessel went to the CHL?"? Not trying to be a jerk but unless you're Phil Kessel it's kind of hard to be definitive until the paperwork is signed. Yeah, there's a massive likelihood he's going to play college hockey next year- but if the right people talked to him and Saginaw agreed to trade his rights to a more attractive team then you never know.

The kid has always maintained he is going to college. He has never been like Toews was and flirted with playing in the CHL.

You weren't being a jerk. But you clearly haven't followed his situation much if you think he has ever seriously considered the CHL.

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
How about having the best of both worlds and playing the rest of this season in the OHL and then next season in college. Has that ever been done or just the reverse. Just asking how college is better when they play so fewer games---their schedule is nothing like the NHL.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
St.Louis sports fan said:
How about having the best of both worlds and playing the rest of this season in the OHL and then next season in college. Has that ever been done or just the reverse. Just asking how college is better when they play so fewer games---their schedule is nothing like the NHL.

Under NCAA rules, once a player has in the CHL, even if it's just an exhibition game, he is automatically ineligible to play in the NCAA.

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
Thanks for the info., but why only a one-way door. I mean VanRyn, Maiser, Comrie, Pineault went to Jr. Is it so colleges can't "recruit" overage junior players for 1 or 2 seasons thus taking away scholarships from 18 year old Americans?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
St.Louis sports fan said:
Thanks for the info., but why only a one-way door. I mean VanRyn, Maiser, Comrie, Pineault went to Jr. Is it so colleges can't "recruit" overage junior players for 1 or 2 seasons thus taking away scholarships from 18 year old Americans?

CHL players get paid a small amount of money so the NCAA considers it a professional league and by NCAA rules you have to be an amateur to play. Essentially the NCAA sees no difference between the CHL and the NHL, AHL or any other professional league.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Something I learned tonight is that a Canadian Jr team may offer to pay for books and tuition for guys to attend college during or after they play. The Everett Silvertip's appear to do this on play for a year get a year of tuition basis.

Is this common? Because if so, then I see no reason not to pass on an NCAA scholarship if you have a bright hockey career future, good chance at making the pros.

UWSaint

Dec 28, 2004
Wisconsin
There are a lot of reasons why playing for a year (or four) in the NCAA's (particularly if you are in the WCHA) is better from the perspective of one's career than playing in major juniors. Most significantly, you play against men (a lot of 21 and 22 year olds) vs. boys (19 year olds). I'm not saying there aren't strong juniors, I am saying that, as a whole, the difference b/n 21 year olds and 19 year olds is sifgnificant. To be sure, the CHL has a lot more talent (in terms of ceilings), but you also play more against underdeveloped (yet skillful) kids after the first couple of lines.

Second, college life, with academics, friends, girls, competing interests, often helps young men grow up in a way that hockey-is-everything juniors doesn't. To be sure, this might be a distraction for the wrong player, but for the right player, it is better preparation for life as a professional.

Third, the number of games cuts both ways. Though the grind of the CHL season helps players develop endurance for the pros and helps development by exposure to every type of game situation, there are increased risks of burn out, injury, etc. As a whole, I think the long season is an advantage for a developing player, but it does go both ways.

Fouth, you don't get to the NHL faster. When guys are good enough for the NHL, they sign a pro contract. Same with junior players.

Fifth, although 4 is true, there is a benefit to time. For mid round picks who may or may not get offered contracts coming out of juniors, by playing in the NCAAs, if you aren't ready after the equivalent sophmore season, you get to go back to school and improve your stock. Or you can improve your bargaining position.

Sixth, college is fun. If you are a solid NHL prospect, say a guy like Brendan Morrison was, would you rather be the Big Man on Campus or toiling in the AHL for a season or two more than you would if you went the college route?

I do not think the NCAA's is for every player. I do think it is a pretty decent route to professional hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->