What holes are contenders looking to fill?

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Now that most teams have an idea of what their roster will be- in the west it appears that the Hounds, Sting, Attack (possibly the Rangers) and the east Colts, Generals, 67's, Icedogs, Petes will be actively trying to bolster their team. All are well stocked with picks so it could make for an interesting trade deadline.

I think the Attack, Sting, Hounds & Petes should be the most active as their appear to be all in where the others may just tweak for an extended playoff run.

Goaltender movement will be limited as the Attack appears to be the only team that needs help in net.

What are the contenders looking to improve upon, who's available and at what cost?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Now that most teams have an idea of what their roster will be- in the west it appears that the Hounds, Sting, Attack (possibly the Rangers) and the east Colts, Generals, 67's, Icedogs, Petes will be actively trying to bolster their team. All are well stocked with picks so it could make for an interesting trade deadline.

I think the Attack, Sting, Hounds & Petes should be the most active as their appear to be all in where the others may just tweak for an extended playoff run.

Goaltender movement will be limited as the Attack appears to be the only team that needs help in net.

What are the contenders looking to improve upon, who's available and at what cost?

IMO, the Petes could use a true top pairing defenseman and a depth LW.

D that could be available include - Sambrook, Dineen, Middleton, Day... possibly Stillman.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack need a upgrade in net that's pretty much a given at this point Bowman isn't the guy to take the Attack on a deep playoff run.

Big question that looms DeGray is the price tag on what it will take to get a decent consistent starter from somewhere.

Rumours are definitely floating around that the Attack and potentially an eastern conference opponent could be making a deal at some point and it's believed to be that the Frontenacs are the other club in talks but swapping a tender but no word on wether or not there's any sort of deal in the works or if it's just rumour

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
As an outside fan of these teams looking in. Here is my list of people who will be adding at the deadline and what they should be looking for:

Barrie:
-F Depth
-1-2 top 4 D-men (Barrie has 2 open OA spots)

Hamilton:
-A sniper to help score (2nd last in the OHL in goals scored)

Kitchener:
-Top 4 D-man to play behind Stanley/Hall
-Forward to help get the PP going (3rd worst in the OHL)

Oshawa/Niagara/Ottawa:
-Anyone that will help the team this year and next. All 3 teams will be very, very good next season

Owen Sound:
-Starting goalie
-1 D-man to round out their top 6
-Top 9 winger

Peterborough:
-2 top 6 D-men
-Veteran forward to fit into the top 9

Sarnia:
-2 top 4 D-men
-Depth forwards who are good on both sides of the puck

Sault Ste. Marie:
-Depth forward who will help the PK
-1 top 6 D-men to round out the D-core

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Attack need a upgrade in net that's pretty much a given at this point Bowman isn't the guy to take the Attack on a deep playoff run.

Rumours are definitely floating around that the Attack and potentially an eastern conference opponent could be making a deal at some point and it's believed to be that the Frontenacs are the other club in talks but swapping a tender but no word on wether or not there's any sort of deal in the works or if it's just rumour

Why then did they trade off Propp ?

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Hamilton also needs a veteran goaltender to take pressure off Fulcher--Gruden doesn't trust Donofrio and Fulcher is showing signs of fatigue already.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Propp is a good goalie but he's young. He's not the guy you want to trust with a team ready to make a Mem Cup run. You need someone who's proven
Hounds need a tuff stay at home defender and Middleton looks like a good fit and 1 more overage foreword with some grit and not arfraid to throw some big hits

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Doubt Stillman gets traded. Sambrook probably cost the least.
no way petes trade with oshawa for stillman. I see them making a move for sambrook with an all in offer as they already score enough to win most nights its team defense thats the issue. Going to be very interesting to see where everyone is in the next 50 days or so trade deadline is gonna be sweet

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs need another scorer. Even with good goaltending, you can't expect to win 1-0, 2-0, etc. every night. Especially when they're a Memorial Cup threat.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
no way petes trade with oshawa for stillman. I see them making a move for sambrook with an all in offer as they already score enough to win most nights its team defense thats the issue. Going to be very interesting to see where everyone is in the next 50 days or so trade deadline is gonna be sweet
as i was saying.....62 shots against today ..the d and d game just disappears for spurts ....or games..anyone looking to move 4 d??

wolfpack99

Oct 9, 2014
As an outside fan of these teams looking in. Here is my list of people who will be adding at the deadline and what they should be looking for:

Barrie:
-F Depth
-1-2 top 4 D-men (Barrie has 2 open OA spots)

Hamilton:
-A sniper to help score (2nd last in the OHL in goals scored)

Kitchener:
-Top 4 D-man to play behind Stanley/Hall
-Forward to help get the PP going (3rd worst in the OHL)

Oshawa/Niagara/Ottawa:
-Anyone that will help the team this year and next. All 3 teams will be very, very good next season

Owen Sound:
-Starting goalie
-1 D-man to round out their top 6
-Top 9 winger

Peterborough:
-2 top 6 D-men
-Veteran forward to fit into the top 9

Sarnia:
-2 top 4 D-men
-Depth forwards who are good on both sides of the puck

Sault Ste. Marie:
-Depth forward who will help the PK
-1 top 6 D-men to round out the D-core
sarnia depth fowards they trded him away to wolves. lol

massey

Sep 5, 2012
sarnia depth fowards they trded him away to wolves. lol

Lets look at the stats for TRoy and Ernst who they kept
Troy 6 goals 10 assist +3
Jordan 10 goals 10 assist +9
Yep,traded the wrong player for sure.

wolfpack99

Oct 9, 2014
did not say traded wrong player yu jack a%???

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Hounds need a tuff stay at home defender and Middleton looks like a good fit and 1 more overage foreword with some grit and not arfraid to throw some big hits

I'd like to See them target pezzetta and Middleton. Both would bring the missing element to the hounds. Maybe one more scoring forward too if we have the assets

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I don't see the Greyhounds being 'all-in' for a couple of reasons.

For one thing, they haven't been actively adding veterans. They have been regularly dressing six rookie forwards and usually two rookie d-men. The Greyhounds are about drafting and developing their own players, with only Noah Carroll and backup goalie Tyler Johnson drafted by other teams.

Also, the team doesn't have any obvious needs right now. Defense behind Timmins and Carroll was a concern entering the season, but those questions have been more or less answered. Rasmus Sandin has lived up the billing and more, with Mac Hollowell and Jacob Legurrier also taking big steps forward.

That being said, some key players are departing after the season and there is an open OA slot, so I do expect the team to make some modest additions. A veteran defenseman is never a bad idea and a center that can win some key faceoffs in the defensive zone would be a nice addition for the playoffs. Injuries may dictate who they go after if the team remains the best in the nation.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
After reading the article you posted and hearing from Raftis on how they value puck-movement...IF they go after a Dman I'm sure they have their eyes on only a very particular type of Dman who can play this system. Perhaps someone like Middleton doesn't fit their style. I'm not sure haven't seen enough of him to know now.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
After reading the article you posted and hearing from Raftis on how they value puck-movement...IF they go after a Dman I'm sure they have their eyes on only a very particular type of Dman who can play this system. Perhaps someone like Middleton doesn't fit their style. I'm not sure haven't seen enough of him to know now.

A lot of our fans seem to be pining for a big defenseman that will bring an element of grit to the team. I'm sure there is someone out there who fits both criteria, but I agree that we may grab someone a little unexpected.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
It appears that defense will be the major holes to fill this year.

Middleton- most teams will be calling for his services
Day- Kitchener or Sarnia
Dineen- Kitchener or Sarnia
Sambrook- I think most teams will be inquiring for his services.
Candella? Sudbury gave up a lot to get him but have fallen so maybe they sell but he will cost.

Overagers- SSM, Barrie & Ottawa have an OA spot open. All other contenders need to subtract to add so there are limited spots for these players:
Rhodes
Crawford
Headrick
Di Carlo
Riley
McKenzie

Any other defensemen that could be trading chips?

Reactions: Finster8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad