What happens to the drafted players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
that have not signed an NHL contract yet in case of the replacement-player-scenario... Do the teams that drafted those players contain the rights or are alle these players free agents by then? I would hate to lose all of our nice prospects... I would hate that scenario anyway, but if each team at least kept it´s prospects, that would keep my ties with the club alive... otherwise it will be hard...

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
From what I understand, these players would be up for grabs. But I remember hearing somewhere (cant remember where) that Bettman made a promise to all 30 clubs that their draft picks are not in jeopardy and in this case, there would be exceptions.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
CaptainShark said:
that have not signed an NHL contract yet in case of the replacement-player-scenario... Do the teams that drafted those players contain the rights or are alle these players free agents by then? I would hate to lose all of our nice prospects... I would hate that scenario anyway, but if each team at least kept it´s prospects, that would keep my ties with the club alive... otherwise it will be hard...

Will be worked out in the new CBA. I'm sure teams will have an extra year or something like that.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Schlep Rock said:
Will be worked out in the new CBA. I'm sure teams will have an extra year or something like that.

I believe as of the day the two years ends they are free to sign wherever they want. Including with AHL teams, who have links to other pro teams. Gary Bettman can do absolutely nothing after the 2 year period is up to keep these players from going where they please, as far as I understand it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
CaptainShark said:

They all become Leafs.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
The clubs hold the rights for two drafts, not 2 years. As there cant be a draft without a CBA, the teams cannot lose their picks until a CBA is approved and a draft is held. Of course there are bound to be a few weeks to sign their players after the CBA comes into effect.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Steve L said:
The clubs hold the rights for two drafts, not 2 years.

Technically not true, the old CBA lists a date deadline, not a relative one.

But it is a non-issue. Players have to live with whatever rules are agreed to in a CBA in order to play. The new CBA will have language that will cover these situations.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
The owners can't have it both ways. If the players currently under contract do not get an extension on their contract how can a prospect get his extended.

Problem is Bettman keeps promising things he may not be able to deliver. Teams are going to lose RFA. At the end of the 2005-06 season 85% of the players will be without a contract. That is something both the owners and players need to think about.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Icey said:
The owners can't have it both ways. If the players currently under contract do not get an extension on their contract how can a prospect get his extended.

A prospect has no contract. :shakehead

Prospects live by whatever rules are written into the CBA. Period. Euros get different rules than North Americans etc, that's just the way it is. You want to play in the NHL, you live by the rules set.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Isn't this just an issue with the Junior players?

As far as I understand they hold rights on Euro players as long as they are oversees and college players until a year after they leave school.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
GregStack said:
I believe as of the day the two years ends they are free to sign wherever they want. Including with AHL teams, who have links to other pro teams. Gary Bettman can do absolutely nothing after the 2 year period is up to keep these players from going where they please, as far as I understand it.
But they always had the option of signing anywhere they wanted....as long as the team wanted them. If they never signed an NHL contract they could have gone to Europe, AHL, ECHL, etc. If they want to play in the NHL, an NHL team has to sign them to a contract, and since NHL teams are prohibited from signing any players right now, and there is no NHL to play in, they are in the same boat that they were in for the past two years, no contract - no NHL. Nothing has changed. The only issue is will the unsigned draft picks have to go back into the draft or be declared RFA's. I would think the NHL will adress these and many other issues in the new CBA.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Technically not true, the old CBA lists a date deadline, not a relative one.

But it is a non-issue. Players have to live with whatever rules are agreed to in a CBA in order to play. The new CBA will have language that will cover these situations.
Funny how the Flyers have said thats not true, Bettman also advised teams not to sign their drafted players until the new CBA is in place. So its pretty obvious teams will be able to sign their players after a new CBA comes into effect.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Steve L said:
The clubs hold the rights for two drafts, not 2 years. As there cant be a draft without a CBA, the teams cannot lose their picks until a CBA is approved and a draft is held. Of course there are bound to be a few weeks to sign their players after the CBA comes into effect.
There is not a single thing right about that statement ..

The CBA is online at nhl.com (you could look it up .. it clealy says June 1st with no year on drafted players two years after being selected ..

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/cba/article8.html

8.6. Reserve List-Exclusive Rights

A player selected shall be registered on the Reserve List of the selecting Club as an "unsigned draft choice."

If, on or before June 1 of the calendar year next succeeding the draft, the claiming Club makes a Bona Fide Offer (as defined below) to its claimed player of a contract, the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for the services of such player up to and including the second June 1 following the date of his selection.

A "Bona Fide Offer" is one which is for a period corresponding to the player's age as required under Section 9.1(b) commencing at the start of the next League Year, offers at least the NHL Minimum Compensation for each year covered by such offer and remains open to the player for at least thirty days after receipt of the offer by the player. A Bona Fide Offer may be conditioned upon acceptance by the player within thirty days and carries no right to salary arbitration.

Except as otherwise provided in this Section, a claimed player unsigned on June 2 next succeeding his draft shall be removed from the Reserve List of the Club that claimed him.

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
Bill Daly specifically addressed this question in an interview a month or so ago. No teams will lose rights to their prospects if there is not a new CBA by June 1st.

I'm looking for the article as we speak, I will post a link if found.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
missK said:
Bill Daly specifically addressed this question in an interview a month or so ago. No teams will lose rights to their prospects if there is not a new CBA by June 1st.

I'm looking for the article as we speak, I will post a link if found.
Yes he said that .. but think about it ..

Unless the player and his agent takes the NHL to court to get UFA rules ..

Also keep in mind anything said by Bettman and Daley that concerns the CBA also has to have the NHLPA agree .. If Bettman request this and Goodenow says NO .. then we have the same stalemate here ..

Also everyone forgets that signing with the team that drafted you is OPTIONAL and in the players hands ... If he does not come to an agreement by June 1 2 years after he is drafted he either re-enters the draft or becomes an UFA .. Eric Lindros was drafted by Quebec and said he would not play there .. So he forced a trade .. had he returned to the OHL or played in Europe for 2 years he would force the team to lose his rights .. KEY IS ITS OPTIONAL ... not choice of the team .. they can always lose player rights ... Washington drafted Nick Boynton, he re-entered the draft and Boston took him the second time around. If Crosby was drafted by a team and he doesn't sign for 2 years that team as well risks losing his rights ..

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
GregStack said:
This seems to be the way all Leafs fans understand it. ;)

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
The Messenger said:
There is not a single thing right about that statement ..
[/b]
It doesnt matter that CBA is not valid any more, the info came directly from the Flyers and what Bettman asked the teams to do.

Why would teams be penalised by losing their prospects if they are doing exactly what theyre asked to?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
GregStack said:

Under the old CBA they are free to return to draft. They can not go "where they please" unless they can find a college loophole. For example, Richards and Carter would be giving up rookie max in Philly to get rookie max in Carolina or Florida or Columbus or Washington.

Can they escape to become UFAs by using a clause in a CBA that is kaput? The question of what happens when there is no draft for them to reenter has not been answered and won't be answered until there is a CBA. Whatever happens the new CBA can pull some tricks on UFAed prospects.

What will probably happen is these players will be given the option of a reentering the 1st draft after a new CBA is signed. So yes they might escape. Is it worthit if they get the same money and a worse team?

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Steve L said:
It doesnt matter that CBA is not valid any more, the info came directly from the Flyers and what Bettman asked the teams to do.

Why would teams be penalised by losing their prospects if they are doing exactly what theyre asked to?
If that CBA is not valid then the player is already a UFA by your logic ..

You can't have it both ways ..

You are saying that a new CBA that is not yet even anywhere close to being in place is what keeps them their former teams property .. ??

Why did small market teams Calgary sign Phaneuf and Anahiem sign Getzlaf and Perry .. Bettman must have given them the same speech .. and they can afford it less Phily can ..

I wanted to show you that your 2 drafts is not accurate it is based on a calender and years not drafts .. If there is no draft how can these players re-enter it .. ??

Last edited:

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
PecaFan said:
A prospect has no contract. :shakehead

Prospects live by whatever rules are written into the CBA. Period. Euros get different rules than North Americans etc, that's just the way it is. You want to play in the NHL, you live by the rules set.

Sorry, I thought he meant players with AHL contracts and RFA also.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The Messenger said:
You are saying that a new CBA that is not yet even anywhere close to being in place is what keeps them their former teams property .. ??

No, we're saying that what the new CBA says is what will *make them* their former teams property.

A simple clause or two will be all that it takes. "Any player drafted in X year, that did not sign by Y, will be deemed as still belonging..." etc.

If the PA and the league agree to it, and they both sign it, it's the law.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
PecaFan said:
No, we're saying that what the new CBA says is what will *make them* their former teams property.

A simple clause or two will be all that it takes. "Any player drafted in X year, that did not sign by Y, will be deemed as still belonging..." etc.

If the PA and the league agree to it, and they both sign it, it's the law.
And what forces a young player to sign ?? Its always been optional and now you are saying that its not .. That means the team could offer the player anything and he would have no option .. His agent would fight that in court to get him ruled an UFA as unfair labour practices...

You also are making the big assumption that both the League and the NHL will agree to this in a new CBA and I honestly don't see how since they agree on nothing today that they will agree on that point .. It will be up to the courts to settle this and they are not going to allow the NHL to impose its own rules when the old CBA since the beginning of time was different ..

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The Messenger said:
And what forces a young player to sign ?? Its always been optional and now you are saying that its not .. That means the team could offer the player anything and he would have no option .. His agent would fight that in court to get him ruled an UFA as unfair labour practices...

Nothing forces him to sign. He can sign in the Tuktoyuktuk Hockey League, or Sweden, or anywhere else he wants. As to your example, that's exactly what happens to Euro draft picks. Their draft rights last until 31, unlike North American draft picks. Because that's what was collectively bargained.

You can't seem to get it through your head that whatever the union and the owners collectively bargain essentially becomes the law. Even if it would normally contravene labour law. If they negotiate caps, limited movement, your choice is to live with it, or work somewhere else.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
PecaFan said:
Nothing forces him to sign. He can sign in the Tuktoyuktuk Hockey League, or Sweden, or anywhere else he wants. As to your example, that's exactly what happens to Euro draft picks. Their draft rights last until 31, unlike North American draft picks. Because that's what was collectively bargained.

You can't seem to get it through your head that whatever the union and the owners collectively bargain essentially becomes the law. Even if it would normally contravene labour law. If they negotiate caps, limited movement, your choice is to live with it, or work somewhere else.

Correct. Yes the draftee in not a member of the union when he is drafted, but in order to play in the NHL he must sign a contract that says he retroactively agrees to all of the terms of the CBA. He doesn't agree to the standard player contract terms, he doesn't play in the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
PecaFan said:

The euro rule is obvious as the NHL can't force a player to leave his own country to come to North America .. So his rights are owned longer due to that ..

In the NHL under the old CBA and everyone before that for the past 20 plus years a players rights are owned by the NHL team for two years .. but it still remains the option of the player to sign a deal .. If he does not he either goes in the draft or becomes an UFA based on his age ..

My point is how could the NHL say that he belongs to a team if 1) We have no CBA 2) Signing with a certain team is the players option ..

Nick Boynton could not come to a contract agreement re-entered the draft and was selected by a different team the second time ..

Kiel McLeod was drafted by Columbus in the 2nd round and could not come to a deal .. because of his birthday and AGE he became and UFA and signed with Phoenix ..

My point being the NHL can guarantee anything and a new CBA will need to be in place first and then it would need NHLPA and NHL joint approval .. How can the NHL guarantee the NHLPA will agree to this ??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->