What happens if/when the season is cancelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
A couple of days ago I still had some hope. Both sides, in my opinion, are being a--holes. They have enough money to continue being a--holes for, well, a pretty long time. And it's probably more for the sake of pride than money at this point.

If/when the season is called off, do you think the league loses a substantial portion of its fanbase?

Hockey_Nut99

The owners have a lot of money. The players have a lot less. Considering a bunch of guys probably have expensive houses, nice cars, and everything else, they will have to cave in. I can't remember what station I heard this but there was a report(Only a report) that half of these NHL'ers almost live paycheque to paycheque because of the way they spend their money.

jacketracket*

joepeps said:
**** them... no one should go to a game..... for atleast the next year
This worries me a bit. I did this after the baseball strike in '94, and I never went back to the game.

Of course, a large part of the reason was that I became hooked on hockey while boycotting baseball.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Hockey_Nut99 said:
The owners have a lot of money. The players have a lot less. Considering a bunch of guys probably have expensive houses, nice cars, and everything else, they will have to cave in. I can't remember what station I heard this but there was a report(Only a report) that half of these NHL'ers almost live paycheque to paycheque because of the way they spend their money.

Kinda like that guy in the 70s who got millions in damages from the supreme court then wasted it all in private airplane tours...

I.am.ca

Jasper said:
A couple of days ago I still had some hope. Both sides, in my opinion, are being a--holes. They have enough money to continue being a--holes for, well, a pretty long time. And it's probably more for the sake of pride than money at this point.

If/when the season is called off, do you think the league loses a substantial portion of its fanbase?

Bye bye NHL...hello CHL :yo: .

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Jasper said:

Well, if you listen to some of the more absurd arguments here (thunderstruck comes to mind) the NHL will increase its fanbase becuase the vast majority of hockey fans(and people in general) hate the players for being greedy and can't wait to stick it to them by watching replacement players. Remember too thar Bettman has intentionally made the game crap over the last 10 years so that when the replacement players come in, they can improve the game :dunno:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
hockeytown9321 said:
Well, if you listen to some of the more absurd arguments here (thunderstruck comes to mind) the NHL will increase its fanbase becuase the vast majority of hockey fans(and people in general) hate the players for being greedy and can't wait to stick it to them by watching replacement players. Remember too thar Bettman has intentionally made the game crap over the last 10 years so that when the replacement players come in, they can improve the game :dunno:

Now, now, Hockeytown9321, I don't think you really believe Bettman has INTENTIONALLY made the game worse. You may not like his moves, but I don't think he's on a secret evil agenda to make replacement players look better. I will, however agree with you wholeheartedly that his whacky expansion plan has made the game much worse than it started. Of course many owners weren't complaining when they divvied up the expansion fees. But let's face it, 21 teams to 30 in ten years is nuts, no real growth takes place that fast.

SENSible1*

hockeytown9321 said:

At least have the decency to present an accurate representation of my postition.

It reflects poorly on you.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Bring Back Bucky said:
Now, now, Hockeytown9321, I don't think you really believe Bettman has INTENTIONALLY made the game worse. You may not like his moves, but I don't think he's on a secret evil agenda to make replacement players look better. I will, however agree with you wholeheartedly that his whacky expansion plan has made the game much worse than it started. Of course many owners weren't complaining when they divvied up the expansion fees. But let's face it, 21 teams to 30 in ten years is nuts, no real growth takes place that fast.

That wasn't my argument. I just repeat what I hear. If I have time, I'll find the thread.

edit: Here ya go. courtesy of the great thunderstruck:

"Let's just say that I believe the incentive to speed the game up would be far greater for the NHL in the replacement scenario than it has been for the past 5 years."

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=115138&page=5&pp=15&highlight=replacement+players

Last edited:

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
hockeytown9321 said:
That wasn't my argument. I just repeat what I hear. If I have time, I'll find the thread.

edit: Here ya go. courtesy of the great thunderstruck:

"Let's just say that I believe the incentive to speed the game up would be far greater for the NHL in the replacement scenario than it has been for the past 5 years."

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=115138&page=5&pp=15&highlight=replacement+players

Thanks for the clarification, I knew in my heart that you really are gary B's biggest fan. When I have spinach quiche with him for brunch tommorrow I will tell him to ignore what I said about taking you off his christmas card list. ;)

SENSible1*

my statement said:

your misrepresentaion said:
Remember too thar Bettman has intentionally made the game crap over the last 10 years so that when the replacement players come in, they can improve the game

my statement said:
"Most can't tell the difference and a large number would pay even NHL level prices just to make a point to the NHLPA. Of course, they won't be forced to as ticket prices will be significantly lower."

your misrepresentaion said:
Well, if you listen to some of the more absurd arguments here (thunderstruck comes to mind) the NHL will increase its fanbase becuase the vast majority of hockey fans(and people in general) hate the players for being greedy and can't wait to stick it to them by watching replacement players
Hopefully you are intelligent enought to discern the difference. If you are, then this clearly displays your intellectual dishonesty.

I'm sure this whole situtation is a little frustrating for you. Please attempt at least to maintain a bit of dignity.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Hopefully you are intelligent enought to discern the difference. If you are, then this clearly displays your intellectual dishonesty.

I'm sure this whole situtation is a little frustrating for you. Please attempt at least to maintain a bit of dignity.

Whatever, cheif. Your statements speak for themselves.

SENSible1*

hockeytown9321 said:
Whatever, cheif. Your statements speak for themselves.
Yes they do.

Your misrepresentation, intentional or not, is also clear.

YellHockey*

Jasper said:

It will lose 100% of its fanbase in my household.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
If the league cancels an entire season, the NHLPA will crumble. I will go on record and out on a limb and predict that.

So many players will end up wondering why the PA didn't just give in to cost certainty, especially the 500 or so players making under $800,000 who weren't effected by the league's last proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad