What happened to Daigle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
In 1993 he was hyped to be superstar after he was nro. 1 NHL-draft. But after years go he didn`t gain expected success. Then he retired in 2000.

Still, in 2003/2004 he played solid season in Minnesota Wild.

Also Jim Carey was quite a shooting star.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
ShaneDoan said:
In 1993 he was hyped to be superstar after he was nro. 1 NHL-draft. But after years go he didn`t gain expected success. Then he retired in 2000.

Still, in 2003/2004 he played solid season in Minnesota Wild.

Also Jim Carey was quite a shooting star.

He's hardly the first number one to disappoint.. The pressure got to him and he quit. HE came back with a new work ethic and is carving out a nice career for himself.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
gr8haluschak said:
Jim Carey was lazy plain and simple, he refused to work on anything in practice and it finally caught up with him.

really, i heard a completely diffrent story that he hated the spotlight or something like that. I am sure someone knows the story

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
Jim Carey was lazy plain and simple, he refused to work on anything in practice and it finally caught up with him.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
King of Donair said:
The way you travelled back in time an d answered his post before he made it reminds me of the time I time travelled back in time to smoke a Rothmans with the Flower.
ya i saw that
****ed up

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
CrAzYNiNe said:
really, i heard a completely diffrent story that he hated the spotlight or something like that. I am sure someone knows the story

The way you travelled back in time an d answered his post before he made it reminds me of the time I time travelled back in time to smoke a Rothmans with the Flower.

Victory Ali*

From my understanding (I wasn't a hockey fan then but I've read quite a bit about this) Daigle was an extremely solid and quick player in juniors and used his speed to get around defenseman in the QMJHL. However, when he got up to the NHL the defenseman would keep up with him. He had a solid rookie campaign but somewhere along the way completely lost the faith and stopped working at the game or something like that.

I believe I read something about him never really wanting to be a hockey player in the first place or something like that.

And somewhere along the way he eventually made a comeback with the wild.

I'll try searching it out and getting you a answer from someone who knows more because it is quite a interesting story.

Edit: Interesting note... read these, they're in sequence

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9753&highlight=daigle

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9990&highlight=daigle

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14673&highlight=daigle

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15219&highlight=daigle

Last edited by a moderator:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Drafting the right players is only part of a teams job, they have to develop them too. The morons in Ottawa at the time (hello Randy Sexton) had no idea how to do that. He was a talented junior player, but there`s still a transition you have to make (both on the ice and off) when going to the pros. Every single move Ottawa made with his development was wrong.

A year in the AHL would`ve done him a world of good.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Some guys love the game and some guys love what the game will bring them. If you get the order mixed up, ....... From what I've read, that was the case.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think it was a combination of a lot of things: Daigle's drive, or lack their of, his attitude/general conduct (remember that hijack comment in an airport in 1996), and the apathy that set in after that cushy $2.5 million per contract in 1993.

But Daigle was a one-tool player in junior. He always had blazing speed, and he could use that against the opposition in junior. But at the NHL, he faced better skaters. He was still quicker than most of his opponents, but he didn't have the other skills. His hockey sense, puck handling and shot were below average, and he wasn't blessed with good size or determination, either.

As for Jim Carey, the guy benefitted from having one of the strongest defences in the league. He was exposed when injuries beset Washington's defence in 1996-97, and was really shown to be a fraud when he went to Boston. Most goalies in the league could have put up the numbers he did playing behind that defence in 1995-96.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Daige is gaining respect for himself now. 20+ goals on the defensemen minded Minnesota is good step in rebuilding his career.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
MentalPowerHouse said:
Daige is gaining respect for himself now. 20+ goals on the defensemen minded Minnesota is good step in rebuilding his career.

Yup Daigle may just prove to be a 50+ point solid player. Could reach higher points in new NHL with a better cast.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I honestly thought Daigle was never as talented as his reputation, or if he was, he never showed it. My first inclination that he might not live up to the hype was his first game against New Jersey. I was sitting behind the Devils bench when Richer, who was assigned to tail him in that game came off after a shift and said, "he's not that fast." And he wasn't. I never saw what all the hoopla was supposed to be about.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Daigle never did live up to the hype. He complained that people were hoping he would be the next Guy Lafleur and the pressure got to him. Speed he had, but if you got hands of stone it doesnt matter. You look at the guys pick after him in the '93 draft were: Pronger, Kariya, Gratton, even guys like Arnott, V. Kozlov and Rob Niedermayer I'd take over him.

I remember him wanting to get into acting after he retired and there was this reported affair with Pamela Anderson. But really he was a bust, but he wasnt any worse than Brian Lawton or Patrick Stefan (two other #1's)

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Big Phil said:
Daigle never did live up to the hype. He complained that people were hoping he would be the next Guy Lafleur and the pressure got to him. Speed he had, but if you got hands of stone it doesnt matter. You look at the guys pick after him in the '93 draft were: Pronger, Kariya, Gratton, even guys like Arnott, V. Kozlov and Rob Niedermayer I'd take over him.

I remember him wanting to get into acting after he retired and there was this reported affair with Pamela Anderson. But really he was a bust, but he wasnt any worse than Brian Lawton or Patrick Stefan (two other #1's)

Patrick Stefan isn't doing toooooooo bad.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
NAE2 said:
Patrick Stefan isn't doing toooooooo bad.
Stefan was just at the top of a terrible draft yer.

So what happened with Brian Lawton?

I know his wife commited suicide :( and he's agent now.

Oilers1*

moneyp said:
I honestly thought Daigle was never as talented as his reputation, or if he was, he never showed it. My first inclination that he might not live up to the hype was his first game against New Jersey. I was sitting behind the Devils bench when Richer, who was assigned to tail him in that game came off after a shift and said, "he's not that fast." And he wasn't. I never saw what all the hoopla was supposed to be about.

Good point. I remember reading a quote from the coach of Canada's WJC team from 1994 about how they couldn't wait to get Daigle onto the team because he'd be saviour. . .then, in the first practice, he put Daigle on the ice with Chris Pronger and Paul Kariya and after a few minutes basically realized that Daigle didn't have the skill to carry those guys' jocks.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
My take from here in Ottawa at the time...

Several reasons he didn't blossum and many were beyond his control.

The Sens were a terrible team, they even lacked the type of character veterans who could have helped Daigle.

He was 18 years old and the expectations of the fans were immediatley placed on his shoulders.

Threw no fault of his, he got a ridiculous contract from the Sens. The Sens had plans to market him and it was written into the deal if I remember correctly. By the time they had him doing photo shoots in dresses though, this was obviously a mistake.

The more the team lost, the angrier the fans got and he became the scapegoat because of the contract and all of the media hype. There are still one or two writers here who write derogatory columns about him from time to time (and in my opinion needlessly). Eventually and not surprisingly, the kid starting losing confidence in himself.

He scored 20 goals and 51 points playing all 84 games as an 18 year old. Nothing wrong with those stats. The following year he willingly went down to junior during the lockout and had 37 points in 47 games when the NHL resumed. The following year it started to go downhill (seems like he was injured as well). He still rebounded with a 26 goal year the next season but the expectations were much greater.

Just for a comparison, Guy Lafleur had 21 goals & a similiar point total at the same age. But Daigle was being called a bust, a failure, wasted draft pick, blah, blah, blah.

Of course he has to shoulder some of the blame but I believe he was in a near no-win position from the outset. It can be a somewhat similiar postion for anyone drafted first overall but I believe Daigle is the posterboy for how the combination of hype/inflated expectations and putting a young prospect in a poor development situation leads to poor results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->