What exactly are we seeing right now from Vegas?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Seriously. An expansion team with 23 players that have never played together before are currently 1st place in the Western conference near midway through the season. Everyone, myself included predicted them as a bottom 5 team in the league. Every expansion team that has ever come into the NHL has had embarrassingly bad records their inaugural years no matter who they drafted and signed in the offseason.

Is Vegas a top team? A middle of the pack team getting some good puck luck? Or are we seeing a fluke from a bad team that will eventually run out of gas?

Reactions: Sk8M8 and Torque

ijuka

May 14, 2016
They have the coaching advantage against every other team in their conference and they play a coherent style.

Maybe they also have some collective motivation.

People always focus on star power but it's the depth that really wins championships.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Gerard Gallant deserves 954x more recognition than he’s getting. This team is special. They’re almost writing a script for a movie as each game passes by. Happy for this franchise, and happy they’re in the West and not the East.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
From what I seen from them, they arent a fluke. Very impressive defense, and also some scoring. The players have very quickly meshed togheter.

Karlsson plays like a stud!

Reactions: Fixxer

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I think what you're seeing is isn't always the best collection of players that wins. Even the bad news bears brought to you by chicos bail bonds made it to Houston to play in the astrodome.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't know what to think when i see an expansion team almost toying with some of the bigger name clubs in the league.

But i like it.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
One of the best stories of the year and their lineup looks like this.

Depth - Depth - Neal
Depth - Depth - Depth
Depth - Depth - Depth
Depth - Depth - Depth

Depth - Depth
Depth - Depth
Depth - Depth

MAF
Depth
Depth
Depth

There is obviosuly some sarcasm there, but holy shit. These guys brought hockey to VEGAS and have only lost TWO GAMES on home ice.

I love it.
Unfortunately, I don’t see them going far in the playoffs (smaller/tighter game, WC juggernauts to be up against) if they make it, but I’d love to be proved wrong.

Reactions: Sk8M8

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
That's what happens when players buy into a system and play hard for each other. A couple of bigger stars could even disrupt what they have going there. They have guys who fill their roles perfectly, and good depth in case a player goes down. That's more important than a star dangler or a big minute d-man.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Gerard Gallant deserves 954x more recognition than he’s getting. This team is special. They’re almost writing a script for a movie as each game passes by. Happy for this franchise, and happy they’re in the West and not the East.

With a movie script in mind I sure hope they fall a bit and squeeze into the play-offs with their final game of the regular season as a result of a heroic effort by fleury whom will then go onto carrying the team to a historic play-off series win against the mighty ducks.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I don’t know why Florida gave up Marchessault. The guy is super skilled and his passing skills are top notch. How do you give up a centre that scored 30 goals for you?

Didnt know that about him. It looks very bad to give up on him. Was it a contract issue?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
There's a relevant players Tribune article called "Vegas? Vegas!" That I'm too lazy to find a link for, but reading it made me wish them success.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Is Vegas the first expansion team to be built through an expansion draft where they're the only team that gets added to the league?

If other teams in the past were in the same position Vegas is in (acquiring talent through an expansion draft and being the only team to do so) I don't understand how those teams didn't look to just acquire depth pieces at every position with 1 or 2 star players and fill every gap possible.

I think maybe Vegas, compared to the past, benefits to there being more talent league-wide these days. The "new coach, new atmosphere, change of scenery" aspect probably has something to do with the team's collective spirit. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if these players are feeling extra motivated to prove themselves and are playing with a chip on their shoulder.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
How much of their home record is due to how they're playing vs their opponents rolling into the arena after getting loaded the night before?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think its exactly like when a single player gets waived or traded, but think they shouldn't have, then they just go on a tear for the next 10-20 games, and score a hat trick against their old team. It's like that but amplified because of the team mentality that they are all in it together. Also, they are always playing someones old team who cut them loose every night.

That, plus the fact that they basically have a bunch of second lines, full of decent players. Maybe you don't need stars, you just need everyone to know how to play hockey a decent level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad