What ever happened to David Volek?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=5597

I was watching an old game last night on ESPN classics. It was game 7 of the Islanders/Penguins series in which the Islanders pulled off the upset by beating the defending champs. In the game, David Volek scored 2 goals. One being the game winner. He seemed like one of the best players on the ice that game along with Benoit Hogue.

But what ever happened to him? Looking at his stats..he seemed like a decent enough 60 point guy. Why such a short NHL career?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
A group of Pittsburgh fans put a bounty on his head after that Game 7 OT winner. To be honest I dont know. He was only 28 when his last sason was playd, maybe he went back to the Czech Republic?

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I believe his career was ended by injury.

Still... I must say, you've got guts starting a topic with his name. If any Penguins fan get heart problems at the sight of this topic, you can and will be held responsible.

Cyclops II*

He should be an honorary Montreal Canadien. I have a tape of the end of that game which is almost as great a moment as the Habs winning the Cup. I doubt Montreal could have beaten Pittsburgh. Thank you, David Volek. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
He should be an honorary Montreal Canadien. I have a tape of the end of that game which is almost as great a moment as the Habs winning the Cup. I doubt Montreal could have beaten Pittsburgh. Thank you, David Volek. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:biglaugh: that's true, :bow: David Volek.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com

LVIsles*

I think he might be a scout with the Sabres, I know in the past he was,,, and that goal was probably the best moment of my life, even if I see the Isles winning the cup I dont think anything can top that goal probably because I was a new Isles fan at the time and the Isles were such tremendous underdogs,, and that game was a great game, Healy was unbelievable, Isles had a 2 goal lead with 3 minutes left and the Penguins came back to tie it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZK6c3RLoOM

and the sad thing is that game was the last time the Isles won a playoff round, I think only the Jets/Coyotes have a longer streak out of non expansion teams

hgo

Mar 21, 2004
Manhattan
He suffered a herniated disc the season after scoring that goal. He never turned out to be as good as his rookie season promised, but that goal stands as the last time the Islanders have won a postseason series.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Volek was one of the casualties in Regier's hockey department purge this past summer. Who he may be working with, if he's even a scout, I do not know.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I believe his career was ended by injury.

Still... I must say, you've got guts starting a topic with his name. If any Penguins fan get heart problems at the sight of this topic, you can and will be held responsible.

Heartbreak?? Lets talk Penguins/Hawks. Game 1 and the Hawks are up 3-0 and it all goes down hill from there.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Man, I started watching that youtube clip and had to shut it off after 20 seconds.

Losses do not get any more painful than that.

Secretary of Defense

Mar 8, 2006
The guy you Pens fans should be more upset with is Ulfie. The Swedish Meatball was the catalyst for two Isles goals, including Volek's OT winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad