What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Brown

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050614_164427_956

"Although the process seems to be progressing at a crawl, a source inside the meetings confirms the negotiation is being lawyered simultaneous to the negotiation. An effort that has been incredibly time consuming, but one that will expedite ratification once a new CBA is agreed to."

Does this mean lawyers are writting the CBA as things are being negotiated and agreed to. So this means once they agree to what defines hockey revenues both laywers along with Saskins and Daly write it up, and then agree to the language and continue on to the next issue?

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
King_Brown said:

"Although the process seems to be progressing at a crawl, a source inside the meetings confirms the negotiation is being lawyered simultaneous to the negotiation. An effort that has been incredibly time consuming, but one that will expedite ratification once a new CBA is agreed to."

Does this mean lawyers are writting the CBA as things are being negotiated and agreed to. So this means once they agree to what defines hockey revenues both laywers along with Saskins and Daly write it up, and then agree to the language and continue on to the next issue?

That's certainly one interpertation.

Mine is similar - the document itself is not necessarily being written, but the specific legal language is being agreed upon at the conclusion of each issue. Because legal documents are long, complex and heavily reliant on the specific word choice in each sentence, agreeing to key parts of language would go a long way to eliminating a long wait between an agreement in principle and an actual document. As a consequence, it would make the process drag in the beginning, with the time saved occuring at the end of the process.

King_Brown

Kritter471 said:

Mine is similar - the document itself is not necessarily being written, but the specific legal language is being agreed upon at the conclusion of each issue. Because legal documents are long, complex and heavily reliant on the specific word choice in each sentence, agreeing to key parts of language would go a long way to eliminating a long wait between an agreement in principle and an actual document. As a consequence, it would make the process drag in the beginning, with the time saved occuring at the end of the process.

Much appreciated. So I guess what they are doing is agreeing to the hard language that will be written, so a delay in announcing agreement would not happen, and surprises would be there for them. Otherwise going over the language after it is written which is time consuming in itself, then going through re-writes and both parties agreeing disagreeing and possibly causing a rift is avoided.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
King_Brown said:

My assumption of that is the same one that you came up with.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
Kritter471 said:

:teach:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Good to hear and the assumptions seem to be correct (provided I'm reading it correctly as well).

When the debating is done they should be able to quickly relate all of it to the teams and fans to get this show on the road.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Perhaps that is why they had a "day off" today. Maybe the lawyers needed lots of time with a particular hurdle in the negotiations. Maybe it is very very close to being complete now. Let's hope so at least!!

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
That's what it sounds like. Seems to me that they are checking for potential loop holes as they go, and writing the agreement in legal terms as they go to speed up the process. In 2 weeks the offseason would begin in a non-lockout year. The teams need to make up for a year and last years offseason before they even get to this offseason. The NHL is going to want to get this deal done as close to July as possible.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
King_Brown said:

I think you pretty much nailed the meaning - - that as the sides come to an agreement on a specific aspect of the CBA, it is written up and then review/revised by lawyers. This way there won't be a two or three week waiting period for the final document after they've "agreed to terms in principle"

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I don't think they are waiting for the negociation to get to a specific point before announcing the deal. I think it's more a question of timing; waiting until the end of the NBA playoff, for example, could lead to better exposure in the US markets.

King_Brown

Yeah think if they only noted the agreement, and then wrote it up which will take a lot of time, and then its pretty sure not please both sides, so the negotiation on language goes on, and then its re-written, and then put for ratification, then signed and sealed ready for announcment which would possibly lead to August. The NBA agreed to there cap deal, they had to postpone the start of training camp, and preaseason games twice, so they had the CBA propery written up.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I agree with most in this thread. I think that, rather than trying to agree to everything...and then when it's out of the way, sit down and draft the CBA, they're drafting as they go, which is excellent news. To me...more and more...this sounds like it's moving like a snowball down the mountain, as was expected when the cap structure was finally agreed to. It takes time to get the facts and figures and terminology correct...but I'm going to go on a limb and say that if I were to wager a guess, the CBA is probably somewhere around 80 percent done, and we'll have a deal in place by July 1.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
During the last CBA, they came to an agreement on "an envelope" if you will. They annouced they had a deal and passed it on to the lawyers. When the lawyers got together, issues arose and other issues got overlooked. Goodenow took advantage of that.

Bettman stated that this time around, the 'i's had to be dotted and the 't's crossed. To minimize a further delay to the CBA after they have agreement in spirit, they are doing the legal wording in parallel, if you will, with the negotiations. That way, there's no deal until all the deal is there in writing with as many of the loop holes nailed down as they can.

It will be a much more complex and more detailed CBA than anything we've seem before because of this but hopefully, they'll have fewer problems down the road because the work to develop a clearer understanding has been done up front. Offsetting that of course,is that the more complex the deal, the more difficult it is to nail down. That's probably why they are a few weeks away. Relative to 1994, they may well be done with the "envelope" agreement part.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
is there really any doubt as to whether something will be agreed upon. i mean, if they sit out another year, hockey is gone imo, at least the nhl. so for all parties concerned, if they want the nhl, they have to agree to something

Goldthorpe said:
I don't think they are waiting for the negociation to get to a specific point before announcing the deal. I think it's more a question of timing; waiting until the end of the NBA playoff, for example, could lead to better exposure in the US markets.

Yep, I see a really condensed timeline after the "agreement in principle" is made. Something like June 20/21 Agreement in Principal, June 28/29 Agreement is finalized, Midnight June 30 CBA takes effect (Hockey comes back on Canada Day... yay!), July 15th deadline extension for signing prospects, July 23rd Entry draft, July 31st deadline for signing free agents/RFA's.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
RDriesen16 said:
is there really any doubt as to whether something will be agreed upon. i mean, if they sit out another year, hockey is gone imo, at least the nhl. so for all parties concerned, if they want the nhl, they have to agree to something

There is some level of doubt in any busines deal. With the adversarial past betwen these two parties and the lack of trust, the potential for it blowing up is still there. Having said that, by the sounds of the reports, the odds are favorable that they will get it done pretty soon.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I think I'm the first person on this board... And in the entire history of the "Business of Hockey" section, to truthfully say, and mean;

Pretty smart move...

Only reason I say that is because they understand now that every second lost is like $1 lost. (Thats alot of seconds)

So you can say that they are making the rough copy of the final CBA, and are almost done. Then it may take about a week to actually complete the "final copy" of the CBA.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
cleduc said:
There is some level of doubt in any busines deal. With the adversarial past betwen these two parties and the lack of trust, the potential for it blowing up is still there. Having said that, by the sounds of the reports, the odds are favorable that they will get it done pretty soon.
i understand, but thats not my point. my point is, if the ownerds and players ever want hockey in america, where lets face it, their exposure and amount of money they can earn(for the most part) is the greatest, then they better be playing next year.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Goldthorpe said:
I doubt that’s the reason at all . . . . right after the NBA Final is the Baseball All-Star Game and then NFL mini-camp . . . . . July 1 seems to be the “magic†date because it allows ample time to create a schedule (I wouldn’t be surprised if they are working on it right now), sign players, buyout contracts, make trades, and hold a draft all in time for an October start next season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I doubt that’s the reason at all . . . . right after the NBA Final is the Baseball All-Star Game and then NFL mini-camp . . . . . July 1 seems to be the “magic†date because it allows ample time to create a schedule (I wouldn’t be surprised if they are working on it right now), sign players, buyout contracts, make trades, and hold a draft all in time for an October start next season.

yeah but when else are you gonna announce a deal if you're looking to make some kind of splash? i don't now that the NHL is looking to do that but the baseball all-star game and NFL mini-camp aren't exactly huge attention getters...ultimately though what i see would help the NHL gain some attention with the new CBA is the NBA getting locked out at the same time, cuz you know that's going to be covered pretty heavily and if there's something that coincides with that...like the NHL agreeing to a CBA, then it'll get reported in parallel. so while they're spending all the time saying "oh the NBA's locked out" they'll also be saying "and just as the NBA gets locked out, the NHLs lockout has come to an end and we will see hockey in the fall". the NHLs news could piggyback on the NBAs just because of their simularities

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Levitate said:
yeah but when else are you gonna announce a deal if you're looking to make some kind of splash? i don't now that the NHL is looking to do that but the baseball all-star game and NFL mini-camp aren't exactly huge attention getters...ultimately though what i see would help the NHL gain some attention with the new CBA is the NBA getting locked out at the same time, cuz you know that's going to be covered pretty heavily and if there's something that coincides with that...like the NHL agreeing to a CBA, then it'll get reported in parallel. so while they're spending all the time saying "oh the NBA's locked out" they'll also be saying "and just as the NBA gets locked out, the NHLs lockout has come to an end and we will see hockey in the fall". the NHLs news could piggyback on the NBAs just because of their simularities
You are in the DC area are you not?? Everything here revolves around football, the same in NY and I venture to say that it's pretty much the same every where . . . football reigns supreme.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
definatly, but again assuming the NHL wanted to find the best time to announce a new CBA so it's not overshadowed by other events, what other time is there to do it except after the NBA finals and around the time the NBA is announcing their lockout?

plus i think for the NHL the national exposure on outlets like ESPN is a more likely goal than local coverage of a new CBA. if they just want to get it out there, kind of piggybacking it on the NBA's labor troubles seems like the best thing to do, and you know ESPN will be covering that even with NFL mini camps going on

of course that's assuming they want to do something like that.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hopefully any day we will see this come to an end...One thing in the new CBA I would like to see, is a provision by which the the league and the PA MUST start to negotiate a new one 18 months before the expiration of the current...so we will never see this fiasco again! So hopefully we will see a 6 year deal signed, and in 4.5 yrs time the two people in charge(not Gary or Bob hopefully) will start to iron out a new one so that will be no interruption to the sport.

WC Handy*

BLONG7 said:
Hopefully any day we will see this come to an end...One thing in the new CBA I would like to see, is a provision by which the the league and the PA MUST start to negotiate a new one 18 months before the expiration of the current...so we will never see this fiasco again! So hopefully we will see a 6 year deal signed, and in 4.5 yrs time the two people in charge(not Gary or Bob hopefully) will start to iron out a new one so that will be no interruption to the sport.

Bettman tried to negotiate in 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->