What does the NHLPA do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Elite09 said:
Does Bob G. have the power to accept the NHL offer or does the NHLPA have to vote?

The Executive Committee together with Bob can accept, at which point the deal must be ratified by the players. They can also send the offer for ratification and recommend voting against it (wouldn't happen).

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
They are probably having a vote as we speak. All the players can vote either a) do we accept the NHL's proposal with a $42.5 hard cap or b) propose a $45 or $46 million hard cap tonight and leave it in the NHL's hands come tommorow morning.

There isn't much room for either side to negotiate, the players know that, so it's either take it or try to get an extra $3-4 million and put all the pressure on Bettman tommorow morning. My guess is b.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:
They are probably having a vote as we speak. All the players can vote either a) do we accept the NHL's proposal with a $42.5 hard cap or b) propose a $45 or $46 million hard cap tonight and leave it in the NHL's hands come tommorow morning.

There isn't much room for either side to negotiate, the players know that, so it's either take it or try to get an extra $3-4 million and put all the pressure on Bettman tommorow morning. My guess is b.

No way 700+ players scattered around the world are being asked to vote on this now. It's too late... this is in the hands of Goodenow and the Executive Committee.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
If i were Goodenow i would try to buy time. He could easily do that by saying to Bettman we are going to vote on your proposal as a membership but we need 24/48 hours to track down each and every player so they can vote. This way the NHLPA can come back to the owners in 2 days and say either we accept the cap or counter with a 45 million take it or leave it proposal. That way all the presure shifts the owners.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
OilerFan4Life said:
One question: How can ECHLer Irbe have a say in the NHL season :help:

He was called up towards the end of the season and was also traded to Columbus. Arturs Irbe currently is on an NHL roster.

ResidentAlien*

Son of Steinbrenner said:
If i were Goodenow i would try to buy time. He could easily do that by saying to Bettman we are going to vote on your proposal as a membership but we need 24/48 hours to track down each and every player so they can vote. This way the NHLPA can come back to the owners in 2 days and say either we accept the cap or counter with a 45 million take it or leave it proposal. That way all the presure shifts the owners.

Iwouldnt buy time at all I would do a leak tonight about a 45m offer then put the pressure on now. Why buy two days, piss more of the public off( not like they care) only to come back and either accept as you suggest or counter. Bettman could easily then say " nope we told you no more room, and we gave you two days...have a nice summer.
YOu can't counter a take it or leave it offer with a take it or leave it offer :shakehead

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:

Considering this offer is a $42.5M salary cap (and not player costs, which would amount to $44.7M), it's already $2.5M more than the best previous offer.

I think the NHLPA will call Bettman's bluff (final offer) and will be able to raise the amount to $44M (player salaries), but not a cent more imo.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Bettman's message of "no flexibility or room to negotiate" seems like a fairly obvious negotiation tactic to me. AFAIK, there's no way the NHLPA accepts the NHL's proposal at face value, that's just poor negotiation and they're not idiots. Nor do I see an outright rejection without a counter-proposal, as it's clear that the two sides are starting to get closer. I could see them doing one of two things. First, the much less likely scenario is that they could accept the 42M cap concept, but only with other conditions (ie. a very high salary floor, along with other major concessions from the NHL). More likely, they'll come back with a counter-proposal in the 47-49M range and put the ball back in the NHL's court, knowing full-well that the NHL will look terrible if they let the season slip away over a few million dollars without even negotiating. The likely end result of this scenario is, as most people seem to expect, is a cap of around 44-46M. That's not to say that there wouldn't still be a ton of stumbling blocks remaining. The salary floor, revenue sharing, and luxury tax are just a few that could cause the entire process to implode even with a hard cap number agreement. Still, the fact that there is no longer a "philosophical divide" gives me more confidence than ever that a deal will be reached.

mrhockey123

Not that I agree with the NHLPA's position, but I think they should try to counter-offer.

If they say 45 and the NHL says no, then the PA can still say fine we accept the 40. or the PA can just keep quiet after having the 45 offer refused, and it is the NHL's fault if the season is cancelled. Then the NHL is in the same boat: take it or leave it.

Man I really hope the PA just accepts :cry:

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
Jobu said:
No way 700+ players scattered around the world are being asked to vote on this now. It's too late... this is in the hands of Goodenow and the Executive Committee.

700+ players CAN vote on it anywhere in the world via the NHLPA players website.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
missK said:
700+ players CAN vote on it anywhere in the world via the NHLPA players website.

And this is highly possible by tonight. :shakehead

Fact is, you don't need the membership to vote. That's what the Executive Committee and player reps are for.

ResidentAlien*

think/blue said:
If they intended to vote, we would have heard about it. 700 players dont stay quiet.

sure they do...except for maybe JR

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Bettman is not going to up his offer, regardless of whether the NHLPA counter-offers or not. $42.5 mill is the best the players are going to get.
Hopefully they finally have come to their senses and accept it.
If they don't - it's going to be a long time till we see nhl hockey.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
i think the league labeling this their final "official" offer is preventing the players from rejectng it outright--if he rejects it outright it makes the impasse argument easier for the nhl, plus per spector him rejecting it outright would risk further dissension among the players--goodenow might be in a no-win situation here and it seems that they might be arguing over crumbs anyway now maybe they are considering accepting it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->