What does Kucherov need to do to surpass Ovechkin and become the greatest Russian player to ever play in the NHL?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Scoring is up recently, so it's hard to compare raw point totals. But by age 30, Ovechkin was #3 in the league for points by per game during his career (2005-2006 to 2015-2016, min 350+ games) behind Crosby/Malkin, whereas Kucherov today at age 30 is #2 in points per game during his career (2013-2014 to 2023-2024, min 350+ games) behind only McDavid.

That's a very marginal difference, but Ovechkin's dominance as arguably the best goal scorer of all time isn't something Kucherov has a comparable claim on, and I think overcomes the slight difference in points per game performance relative to their peers.

Ovechkin's also had really good longevity, so it's unlikely Kucherov can do much in his 30s to overcome the difference. The above only compares them at 30 or younger, and in his 30s Ovechkin won 3 Rocket Richard trophies. Can't see Kucherov overcoming that - would take like 2-3 more Art Ross / Hart calibre seasons + continuing to produce at a very high level in general into his late 30s.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I feel like people always have short term memories in conversations like these. Prime Ovi was about as dominant as I've ever seen from a Russian player and the best pure goal scorer I've ever seen. Kucherov has a long way to go in my books to surpass Ovi.
This. Kucherov's career season doesn't bring him in the same solar system as Ovechkin's career. Prime Ovechkin was simply at another level. He's been the indisputable engine for the Caps for almost 20 years, whereas Kucherov has always had better players to carry the load.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
In order to be on the same tier? Hit a few more years of a 120+ points. Ovi did it 5 times in his career, but hasn't done so since 2009-10. He was an elite goal scorer, but as his career progressed him and the Caps focused on that, often at the expense of setting others up. One could make the argument that Kucherov is growing his skillset to be a better all-around player should he be able to keep this up going forward.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
In order to be on the same tier? Hit a few more years of a 120+ points. Ovi did it 5 times in his career, but hasn't done so since 2009-10. He was an elite goal scorer, but as his career progressed him and the Caps focused on that, often at the expense of setting others up. One could make the argument that Kucherov is growing his skillset to be a better all-around player should he be able to keep this up going forward.
Ovechkin hit 120pts 5 times?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Kucherov will never approach the career Ovi’s had but there’s no shame in that. OV is one of the best ever.

Kucherov is well on his way to becoming a first ballot HOFer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad