What do you want the NHL to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Let's say the League got a salary cap in place but not close to the 30 M $ because that's too low...what teams would you want to stay or other teams joining the league..here's mine:

Tampa Bay
Boston
Philadelphia
Toronto
Ottawa
New Jersey
Montreal
NY Islanders
Atlanta
Quebec
NY Rangers
Washington
Buffalo

Detroit
Vancouver
Colorado
Dallas
Calgary
St. Louis
Winnipeg
San Jose
Edmonton
Minnesota
Los Angeles
Columbus
Chicago

26 team League...I was thinking 24 at first but then that was way to low...and it would be way too easy to get into the playoffs if only 4 teams don't make it.

Sorry to the fans but I think the league would be better without:
Nashville
Phoenix
Carolina
Florida
Pittsburgh
Anaheim

I wanted to put Hamilton instead of Buffalo but thought about the Leafs POV on that one. I think if their is a cap Quebec and Winnipeg can defenitly hang in there and if they get a bigger stadium.

Nashville
Phoenix->in the middle of desert
Carolina
Florida -> Tampa is there.
Pittsburgh->Lemieux saved you before...
Anaheim->

Now these teams do have some good players like just a quick list:
Vokoun
Doan
Morris
Staal
Luongo
Jokinen
Horton
Bouwmeester
Lemieux..lol
Sykora
Giguere

Now for me, when I did my list I thought about Florida relocating to Quebec so the Quebec Nordiques or wtv you want to call them will get all these players and that would draw instant attention in Quebec especially when they love Hockey and they would have a great team soon. Now I also thought about Phoenix relocating to Winnipeg which would give Gretzky and Co ownership of the Winnipeg and it would be great since Gretzky is a loved canadian and also some of their great players don't just go UFA and create a big thing in the league so that would leave this:

Lemieux..lol
Sykora
Giguere
Staal
Vokoun

I would allow the playes on Pittsburgh,Anaheim,Carolina and Nashville to all become UFA's ....Lemieux will get a lot of attention but these players will all be signed to fair deals since their is a cap in place.

What you think?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Move the Leafs to Nelson, BC

move the Habs to Castlegar, BC

move the Red Wings to Trail, BC

contract all the other teams except Vancouver

change the name of the stanley cup to the 'Kevin Madigan Cup'

to increase scoring, remove the goalies and instead of regular periods just have shootouts.

remove all the lines and faceoff circles.

Make visors mandatory but ban helmets.

finally, make the song 'Black Betty' illegal in all arenas.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
kmad said:
Move the Leafs to Nelson, BC

move the Habs to Castlegar, BC

move the Red Wings to Trail, BC

contract all the other teams except Vancouver

change the name of the stanley cup to the 'Kevin Madigan Cup'

to increase scoring, remove the goalies and instead of regular periods just have shootouts.

remove all the lines and faceoff circles.

Make visors mandatory but ban helmets.

I love it! But alas, your genius won't be appreciated in its time.

Castlegar Canadiens... It has a ring to it.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
move this team there, those players elsewhere, and so on.

no point

just pointless

se7en*

I'd move:

Vancouver to Chattanooga, TE
Edmonton to Carson City, NV
Calgary to Eureka, CA
Toronto to Fayetteville, AR
Montreal to Mobile, AB
Ottawa to Richmond, WV

Oh and Nashville to Winnipeg :joker:

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
As for what I want the NHL to be... I won't name all the names, because it doesn't really matter and it just starts a flame war, but the league IMO should have between 24 and 26 teams.

Out of the 24 to 26, the following MUST be included:

Toronto
Montreal
Detroit
Boston
New York
Philadelphia
Colorado
Minnesota
Vancouver

I'm leaving off some choices that would piss off Canadian fans (Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa) as well as southern hockey state fans (Dallas, Nashville, Florida etc) as well as people who love the history of the game (again Edmonton, Chicago, Long Island etc). I'm not saying I don't want these teams in the league, just that they're not a necessity for the league to exist. In fact I want all the teams I mentionned in my league but the 9 I listed above are essential IMO.

The 3 largest markets in Canada
3 of the original 4 American teams
2 American teams with huge profits
1 American team that's located in a hotbed of hockey

As for rule changes I'd make:
- Reduce goalie equipment size. Not so much that they're at risk, but let's get realistic here. Not just fines if they're caught either, suspensions.
- Allow bigger curves on the sticks. I don't want guys skating out there with sticks with hoops on the end, but if an extra bit of curve can help guys score nicer goals, I'm all for the excitement.
- Return to 5-on-5. 4-on-4 is a gimmick, it ain't hockey.
- Use a pt system that rewards teams for wins. 3 pts for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss. With today's defensive minded coaches, that's the only way I can see to make OT more exciting short of another gimmick.
- Make overtimes ten minutes. I was thinking 20, but that may be too much. Ten minutes is a good treat for the fans. After all, sudden death is the most exciting time in hockey.
- Reduce schedule to 74 games. I like a lot of hockey in my season, but I think a slightly shortened season would do wonders for player conditioning.
- Make visors mandatory. I don't get if players think it's wussy. If I'm paying to see a game, I don't want my team's top player out with an eye injury.

CBA... Let the players and owners sort that out. I'm not touching that with a ten foot poll.

Over time, the league could expand to 30 or more teams like it is today. The league has 30 teams today for a reason, there was/is interest in the new markets. I just think they expanded ahead of the talent level they had available. But with the popularity of hockey ever-growing (at least overseas) the league should be able to support 30 teams with top of the line players.

hockey_nut

Mar 19, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
not gonna happen any time soon...

- Nashville is finding fans. people are starting to warm up to hockey, believe it or not
- Phoenix... isn't moving, with Gretzky's behind them
- Florida .. with new ownership, they're not going anywhere
- Pittsburgh... lemieux is doing all in his power to secure the funds for a new arena, believe it or not... he's getting involved in gaming, to fund the team

Anaheim and Carolina are the only real possibilities, but they won't be contracted, they'd be moved if anything. Winnipeg and Kansas City are the only options of where to move to (Win is looking into getting back a team, and KC has an ownership group looking to move a team there).
However, with Carolina's arena and ownership group, chances are they're staying for the time being... if anything, we'll see Anaheim move in the next 2-5 years.

two out of three*

How about the same it is now? :dunno:

You don't need to take out the red line, don't need to eliminate two line pass, don't need to make the ice bigger, don't need to create more space behind the net.. Thats all BS. If you want to have more scoring (which I don't care if there is more or less) just minimize the size of goalie equipment. Low scoring is NOT a bad thing. I actually appreciate the defensive part of the game. There is no such thing as "boring" hockey to me.

Only changes I would make are:

1. $40M-$50M Cap.
This is just solely based on competitiveness. 30 Teams, that can all compete.

2. 10 Min. OT 4-on-4, if no winner is decided, go a 10 min. 3-on-3. I hate shootouts. If you have ever played a hockey game, and it went down to a shootout(and i have) and you lose.. It sucks. Why should the other team win because they can score on a breakaway? You don't play all those minutes of hockey to lose like that. You should have to work for your win. Thoughts on a 3-on-3 situation? That would be better IMO than a shootout.

3. 0 Points for an OT loss. Why should you get a point for losing a game?

4. A little less penalties called. I got tired last season of seeing 10+ PPs for a team a game. Thats 20:00 you spend on the PP which IMO is way too much.

5. You don't need to speed up faceoffs. Faceoffs are a very strategic part of the game, and I think teams should be able to set-up for them.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
The Albino said:
I love it! But alas, your genius won't be appreciated in its time.

Castlegar Canadiens... It has a ring to it.

I love it as well. Combining where I grew up with my favourite team.

But Trail simply needs to go, the place literally stinks too much.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us said:
How about the same it is now? :dunno:

You don't need to take out the red line, don't need to eliminate two line pass, don't need to make the ice bigger, don't need to create more space behind the net.. Thats all BS. If you want to have more scoring (which I don't care if there is more or less) just minimize the size of goalie equipment. Low scoring is NOT a bad thing. I actually appreciate the defensive part of the game. There is no such thing as "boring" hockey to me.

They're not talking about creating MORE space behind the net...they're talking about moving the end lines back 2-3 feet ... getting rid of Gretzky's Office would definitely be a good move.

Only changes I would make are:

1. $40M-$50M Cap.
This is just solely based on competitiveness. 30 Teams, that can all compete.
I guess Arthur Levitt and his report means jack all to everyone?

2. 10 Min. OT 4-on-4, if no winner is decided, go a 10 min. 3-on-3. I hate shootouts. If you have ever played a hockey game, and it went down to a shootout(and i have) and you lose.. It sucks. Why should the other team win because they can score on a breakaway? You don't play all those minutes of hockey to lose like that. You should have to work for your win. Thoughts on a 3-on-3 situation? That would be better IMO than a shootout.

10 minutes of 4 on 4 sounds good to me, if you can't decide a hockey game in 70 minutes of play nuts to you

3. 0 Points for an OT loss. Why should you get a point for losing a game?
AGREED ... effing Charity Point

4. A little less penalties called. I got tired last season of seeing 10+ PPs for a team a game. Thats 20:00 you spend on the PP which IMO is way too much.
so teams with less skill should be allowed to hook and hold every chance they get away with?

5. You don't need to speed up faceoffs. Faceoffs are a very strategic part of the game, and I think teams should be able to set-up for them.
15 seconds in between stoppage of play is ENOUGH

two out of three*

Seven_Nation_Army said:
so teams with less skill should be allowed to hook and hold every chance they get away with?

15 seconds in between stoppage of play is ENOUGH

No.. But it was being called to much. A little hooking, and holding is a part of the game. I just hate seeing a PowerPlay every 5 minutes.

True, but if they can't get it together in 15 seconds, they shouldn't get a consequence. If they want to set-up a play they can.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
My 10 ideas are far more fantastic than any mentioned so far:

1. Make a team consisting only of French Canadians, and locate them in Tucson Arizona.

2. Move the Leafs to Mexico City.

3. Rename Mike Modano the "Fabulous Giant Poodle Man"

4. In my NHL, players will not be allowed to wear teeth during interviews.

5. Edmonton Oilers may draft one player from each roster, and that club must continue to pay that player.

6. Get rid of the red line. Get rid of the blue line. Heck, get rid of the ice. That way the league wouldn't discriminate against those who "don't skate so good".

7. Make Jaromir Jagr and Alexei Yashin give back the 75% of their salaries they really didn't earn. Take that money and bring hockey to kids who could never afford to play otherwise.

8. In my NHL, enforcers will have two options. 1) slug it out 2) face off in a submarine sandwich eating contest.

9) My NHL will have a team in Winnipeg. However, any Winnipeger who felt they deserved to take hockey away from Nashville will have to apologize. Shame on you, remember how you felt???

10) Organ music will replace noisy backstreet boys and stompin tom at hockey games.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
True, but if they can't get it together in 15 seconds, they shouldn't get a consequence. If they want to set-up a play they can.
I'm having flashbacks of Chelios fussing with the tape on his stick 5 times a game in the last playoffs without this rule, thus holding up the faceoffs for a good 30+ seconds each time. That kind of crap was ridiculous, no need to go back to that again.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Bring Back Bucky said:
My 10 ideas are far more fantastic than any mentioned so far:

1. Make a team consisting only of French Canadians, and locate them in Tucson Arizona.

2. Move the Leafs to Mexico City.

3. Rename Mike Modano the "Fabulous Giant Poodle Man"

4. In my NHL, players will not be allowed to wear teeth during interviews.

5. Edmonton Oilers may draft one player from each roster, and that club must continue to pay that player.

6. Get rid of the red line. Get rid of the blue line. Heck, get rid of the ice. That way the league wouldn't discriminate against those who "don't skate so good".

7. Make Jaromir Jagr and Alexei Yashin give back the 75% of their salaries they really didn't earn. Take that money and bring hockey to kids who could never afford to play otherwise.

8. In my NHL, enforcers will have two options. 1) slug it out 2) face off in a submarine sandwich eating contest.

9) My NHL will have a team in Winnipeg. However, any Winnipeger who felt they deserved to take hockey away from Nashville will have to apologize. Shame on you, remember how you felt???

10) Organ music will replace noisy backstreet boys and stompin tom at hockey games.
:)

I have take issue with one thing though. Stompin Toms hockey song. Hey, Im not a big fan of the anthem either and we sing it. This is Canadiana, I think you are going to have to lean to put up with it :)

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Im really interested in seeing what the AHL thinks of its shootouts. I get the gimmicy bit. But its just regular season and if it creates more highlights for sportscentre and fans enjoy it, I could live with it. I think this argument of what if you missed the playoffs because of losing a shootout is kind of wimpy. As is accepting ties as part of the game.

I propose they continue the 4on4 OT, but loser doesnt get the point anymore. If no one wins after the OT, then its a tie, they both get a point, and go to a shootout to determine who gets the OT win. Points wil be Wins, losses, ties, shootout wins, If you win a shootout you get one point for the tie, and one point for the shootout win.

But I want to see what AHL fans think of it first

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
leave as is now, except for the following:

1. a)High sticking - 5 minute major no matter WHAT.
b)2 high sticking penalties in one game by one player results in a 2 minute bench penalty.

2. remove the instigator. Serves no point IMO, if two players drop the gloves then they both get their respective 5 minutes for fighting. It doesn't matter who drops em first, they both dropped em so they both get penalized IMO. If one drops em and the other doesn't, then the player who dropped em gets 2 for roughing. can't be instigating if the other player never did anything during the altercation.

3.Tag up offsides. Would decrease the number of stoppages in play, thus creating a better, quicker game.

4. Salaries. a) institute a salary floor @ $30,000
b)institute a salary threshhold @ $52,000

5. Revenue sharing. Each team puts 20-25% of gate receipts into a pool to be distributed equally to those teams that are at or above the salary floor line. Unless otherwise proven, nothing should be given to those teams under the floor. This gives teams incentives to strive to hit the floor so they can get some of the revenue.
a) In terms of revenue from the luxury boxes. Luxury box revenue will be determined by the price of the box divided by the number of events its arena (giving the actual price per event) multiplied by the number of hockey events held in its arena (minimum 41 events).

this is all i can think of right now, may be more later.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Have salaries set at 1.5M average or around 35M a team, that's 300k cheaper than it is now so it shouldn't handicap many teams. Have a dollar for dollar tax for every team that goes over this amount, distribute that to the teams that do not exceed the amount. After the first 3 years at the amoung base the average off of the 65% of the average revenues for the league and higher Arthur Levitt to do a audit every 5 years. Rosters reduced to 21 players.

Form a competition committee made up of mostly player reps to determine the rule changes, also allow this committe to evaluate the refs.

Free agency starts at 29 or 8 years in the league.

No rookie bonuses salaries will not exceed 900k.

No one can be drafted before their 19th birthdate year.

The agreement with the NHL and the CHL is lowered by one year allowing 19 year olds to play in the AHL.

Teams are allowed one "franchise player" whos salary only counts as 1.5M of the cap/tax money as long as that one player was drafted by that team or was traded to the team prior to playing in 20 NHL games.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
kmad said:

I think they should allow the original Leadbelly version, but not if anyone named Betty is attending the game.

I would like to see liederhosen introduced as standard uniform.
I would like all fans in corporate boxes to watch the games in their underwear or have to include a homeless person in their party.
Also, fans who dance during the commercial breaks, if when questioned, don't know the score, they should be subjected to a version of strip poker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->