What Do You Use for Outdoor Stick?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I've always used my composite stick from previous hockey seasons outside for street hockey until the blades wear down, I don't want to lug around a wood stick. I've thought of using a composite shaft and ABS blade combo, but I'm an intermediate stick and they don't really make intermediate versions of those. It's a waste of money wearing down these composite sticks so quickly, so I think the best idea may be to use one of those hockey wrap around things, have any of you guys tried them out? How are they? What do you guys use for outdoor street hockey?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Honestly I just use an old wooden stick and keep it taped with some janky tape my kids got from old hockey tournaments.

This is for literal street hockey though with my kids. If you more just mean ball hockey in a proper facility you might want something else.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I've always used my composite stick from previous hockey seasons outside for street hockey until the blades wear down, I don't want to lug around a wood stick. I've thought of using a composite shaft and ABS blade combo, but I'm an intermediate stick and they don't really make intermediate versions of those. It's a waste of money wearing down these composite sticks so quickly, so I think the best idea may be to use one of those hockey wrap around things, have any of you guys tried them out? How are they? What do you guys use for outdoor street hockey?

My son and I both have Wraparounds and they work great. Easy to put on and easy to take off.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Most intermediate shafts will take senior blades. There are some odd models that didn't like the Easton Synthesis, Mission L-2 off the top of my head.

Although there's not a great selection of ABS blades (or blades in general) nowadays.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Fischer W450 ABS blade was the best outdoor blade i ever used by far. I would throw that beneath a good complosite shaft like a Totalone NXG or True A6 shaft and the stick would perform almost like my indoor one.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I just pick up the cheapest $20 old wooden sticks I can find for outdoor hockey, whether it's on ODR or pavement ball hockey, doesn't matter. I probably have like 20 of them in the garage now in various states of decay.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I usually go to the local hockey shop, there are always some old composite sticks there, be it blade slightly damaged, old leftovers or whatever, give owner few bucks and take few home...shop owner is a buddy of mine so yeah that always helps.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Years and years ago I was at a NHL sponsored street hockey tournament I think in Atlantic City and saw a dude with an old school mylek stick shoot a hockey ball 99 miles an hour. That was on concrete. I wonder what guys are shooting these days playing ball hockey on sport court and concrete. If I was playing on concrete I would just use old shafts and Blades, whatever I had laying around. On composite surfaces I would use the one piece sticks with plastic blades. I'd imagine if I had a better shot I would have switched to something stronger.

Exlaxchronicles

Jul 11, 2022
I used an old wooden stick, be it where ever I played hockey. It could be ball hockey, indoor/outdoor etc. I never could get used to compo sticks etc. Nothing but pure wooden one's for me. The firmer the shaft, the better with a slight open toe and gentle heel curve. I am only 5'7" and have had one of the hardest shots on my teams throughout my 28 years of playing organised shinny. I once hit a guy in the jaw with a sponge puck and he was out cold with his eyes wide open. I felt bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad