Line Combos: What do you think makes a good line?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
My 2016-17 playoff team

:leafs

Komarov - Kadri - Soshnikov
Van Riemsdyk - Matthews - Mitch Marner
Lievo - Nylander - Brown
Matt Martin - Tyler Bozak - Hyman

Rielly - Zaitsev
Marincin - Carrick
Gardiner- Hunwick

Lots of flexibility in the forward lines ...

Highly doubt the Leafs (if playoff team) has 6 rookies in the top-9, and you already know the deal with Gardiner :help:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
lol ...

If I add the veterans we have, there is no way we make a playoff run in 2016-17 :laugh:

True :laugh: Imagine if the rookies actually surprise everyone and take us far. Tbh though, I just want the Leafs to play consistent good hockey like last year (they'll finish higher). Really want the top RHD prospect Lilijgren, supposed to go high top 5 next year (Hopefully he drops because of some stupid reason).

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Matthews-Nylander
Michalek-Bozak-Leivo
Martin-Holland-Hyman
Laich

Marincin-Rielly
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Carrick-Polak
Hunwick

Andersen

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'd like to see Kadri center the 3rd line this season. His best season (well half season) by far was during the lockout when he was nicely sheltered on the third line. Kadri just isn't fast or strong enough to go up against the best centers in the league. Let him dominate all the grinders and rookies this year and put up some big numbers.

JVR - Bozak - Nylander
Komarov - Matthews - Brown
Soshnikov - Kadri - Hyman
Leivo - Holland - Martin

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'd like to see Kadri center the 3rd line this season. His best season (well half season) by far was during the lockout when he was nicely sheltered on the third line. Kadri just isn't fast or strong enough to go up against the best centers in the league. Let him dominate all the grinders and rookies this year and put up some big numbers.

I agree that Kadri should ideally be paired up against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines. His skill really shines through when playing against weaker players. Whereas a guy like Bozak seems very capable of playing against the best players in the league and he does well in the faceoff circle against them. That's not saying that Bozak is better and he's a #1 Center... and it's not saying that Kadri is worse and that he's a #3 Center... it's just a question of how to get the best out of the team.

But if Matthews and Nylander play together, I think they'll be our best line... even though they might officially be the "third line".

one77

Dec 22, 2013
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Matthews - Nylander
Brown - Kadri - Soshnikov
Martin - Laich - Hyman
Kapanen/Rychel

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick
Hunwick - Marincin
Polak

Andersen
Enroth

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I think defensive forwards and penalty-killers get overlooked. Also the ability to maintain a pace. It's easy for a young rookie to come in 110%, but can they sustain that pace throughout a season? Often over 80 games it's a disappointment. And just looking at some real-time stats as well. You see rookies giving away the puck at a pace higher then vets, but they threw up some points and everyone loves them. Do you trust them with a two goal lead? I think every line needs that player who can automatically read the play and jump back for a pinching defenceman. Many of these B-grade rookies could be in tough to actually make the team IMHO.

Think the best chemistry lines the Leafs ever had, which was way better then the sum of it's parts, was the 1989-90 Osborne/Olczyk/Leeman line.

Mr Hockey*

Last edited by a moderator:

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
you have to stick the players that know each other best together and let the young talent bond.

if Lupul shows up and is healthy enough to play then he has to be on a line with Kadri and JVR.

Lupul and Kadri have shown chemistry together in the past. VJR can be the down low worker on this line and Kadri the playmaker although he never really passes and is a puck hog.

Bozak should be with one vet and a youngster. Like a Michalek and Rychel.

Matthews is starting with Nylander as per Babcock.

So that makes:

JVR-Kadri-Lupul (Marner if Lupul is on LTIR to be the playmaker)
Michalek-Bozak-Leo
Rychel-Matthews-Nylander
Greening-Laich-Martin or Laich-Holland-Martin

Extra's:
Greening
Holland

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Rychel - Matthews - Nylaner
Martin - Laich - Soshnikov
Greening/Michalek/Leivo

Marincin - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick
Corrado/Polak

Andersen
Enroth

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
My realistic lineup...a playmaker/shooter and puck retriever on each top 3 line. 4th line energy/checking line.

Komarov Kadri. Soshnikov
JVR. Bozak. Lupul
Michalek. Matthews. Nylander
Martin. Laich. Hyman
Leivo/Holland

Rielly. Marincin
Gardiner. Zaitsev
Hunwick. Carrick
Corrado

Andersen
Enroth

One of Greening Lupul or Michalek won't make it or get hurt I guess. It's possible They make it and yet another rookie is left off the squad.

Our patience will be tested this season. For all our support of the tank and rebuild, we will be tempted to push the rebuild schedule as we are teased by performances in camp as the prospects become NHL ready. Will we tolerate the Browns, Marners being left in lower leagues to overcook one more season as we let expiring contracts and cap anchors fill the roster. We all want to see the Matthews, Nylanders Marners Browns Hymans Kapanen's Rychel's and Soshnikov's on the team.

Truth is, there just isn't room. Not with contracts being given to the likes of Holland. It's guaranteed that one or more of them will not get a roster spot despite outplaying others. In a perfect world the spot will go to those who earn it. At some point there's going to be somebody who earned it, yet gets left off the roster.

How patient are you willing to be?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Here's my shot at a team
I'm rolling three lines with a defensively responsible 4th line and my best shot at a D core

JVR Bozak Brown

Komorov Kadri Marner

Michalek Mathews Nylander

Martin Laich Hyman

Marincin Rielly

Gardiner Zaitsev

Hunwick Carrick

Andersen

I don't really care what happens to the old guys who don't make the team since this is a development year from my POV

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Dirty Areas/Net + Playmaking + Finish

*If you have elite players that can do all of the 3, it makes things easier.

A few months in[pre-deadline]:

Komarov (Dirty areas) - Kadri (Playmaking) - Nylander (Finish)
JvR (Finish/Net) - Matthews (Elite) - Marner (Playmaking)
---
Michalek (Finish) - Bozak (Playmaking) - Hyman (Dirty areas/net)
Martin (Dirty areas) - Laich () - Soshnikov (Finish)

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

JVR - Bozak - Nylander
Komarov - Matthews - Brown
Soshnikov - Kadri - Hyman
Leivo - Holland - Martin

Kadri's best season was not because he was against 3rd line players. It was because Carlyle's rush system got lucky that year (Just like other horrible coaches got lucky years - Hartley, Roy, etc).

Kadri did an excellent job last year against the best centers though, while Bozak's line has always struggled defensively against top units.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I agree that Kadri should ideally be paired up against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines. His skill really shines through when playing against weaker players. Whereas a guy like Bozak seems very capable of playing against the best players in the league and he does well in the faceoff circle against them. That's not saying that Bozak is better and he's a #1 Center... and it's not saying that Kadri is worse and that he's a #3 Center... it's just a question of how to get the best out of the team.

But if Matthews and Nylander play together, I think they'll be our best line... even though they might officially be the "third line".

But Kadri did better against 1st line guys than Bozak has ever done? Bozak has always struggled defensively against other 1C's. Kadri's best games also came last year as well, against top units and was above 50% on the face-off dot which is great. He should be our future 2C and shine there behind Matthews.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
you have to stick the players that know each other best together and let the young talent bond.

if Lupul shows up and is healthy enough to play then he has to be on a line with Kadri and JVR.

Lupul and Kadri have shown chemistry together in the past. VJR can be the down low worker on this line and Kadri the playmaker although he never really passes and is a puck hog.

Bozak should be with one vet and a youngster. Like a Michalek and Rychel.

Matthews is starting with Nylander as per Babcock.

So that makes:

JVR-Kadri-Lupul (Marner if Lupul is on LTIR to be the playmaker)
Michalek-Bozak-Leo
Rychel-Matthews-Nylander
Greening-Laich-Martin or Laich-Holland-Martin

Extra's:
Greening
Holland

Nice to see someone still sees value in Lupul, if he's healthy.

Injuries and paycheque aside, he is a veteran with good finishing skill who can play hard and win puck battles.

If you hate Lupul, your best case scenario is he plays well and gets some TDL value.

Bought out, injured, waived, or banished to the press box doesn't really help us, and the man has demonstrated he can play at a high level before, on the top line.

If he's healthy and ready to work, he's in my lineup.

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
I'm honestly going to be very disappointed if guys like Michalek, Lupul, Greening, etc. take spots away from Marner or even Brown/Soshnikov.

I can see why some might want to give them a look with the hopes of flipping them at the deadline, but I'm of the opinion that NHL experience for our young guys is more important than stacking up 5 more 2nd and 3rd round picks.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Some time in the near future
JVR Matthews Korshkov
Johnson Nylander Marner
Timashov Kadri Bracco
Martin Goat Grundstrom.

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Dermott
Greenway Neilson

A few years away still and obviously there will be different moving parts but thats just from what we have now.

Skim

Jun 16, 2009
I think it's safe to say that Babcock will start with this template:

Komarov - Kadri - xxx
JVR - Bozak - xxx
Xxx - Matthews - Nylander
Xxx - Laich - xxx

If Marner makes the team, its almost certainly going to be on a vet line. The 3rd player on Matthews/Nylander line will be a vet.

I am not saying this is my line setup, but my guess at Babcock's. I know some people around here will cry about it, but there is a good chance Martin plays with Matthews/Nylander.

Komarov - Kadri - Sosnikov/Brown
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Martin - Matthews - Nylander
Rychel/Greening/Lupul - Laich - Hyman/Soshnikov/Brown/Michalek

The 4th line in my opinion will be the biggest wildcard and my best guess is a vet line. That being said would like to see Hyman/Sosh and Brown make it but I have a feeling its one of the three to start the season.

Once again, this is a guess at the actual line up not my personal make up.
Great post, I agree on all points.

Whether we like it or not, most waiver-exempt players are going to have a hard time making the team out of training camp, barring injuries. The fantasy line-ups containing 3 rookies on a line sound fun, but that just isn't going to be the reality of the lines that Bobcock puts out there, at least when the season starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad