What do you think is going to happen at the PA meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Ziggy Stardust said:
Perhaps you need to improve your reading comprehension. Where did I say Bob was too hard or soft on his demands? He didn't stick to his guns. He bent and now the players are in a vulnerable position. His negotiation tactics have failed and it has cost a lot of individuals a ton of money, therefore, he owes them an apology.
He knew what the owners were seeking, and he finally was willing to negotiate a deal with a cap when it was already too late. Is that simple enough for you to understand?
It is safe to assume that you believe Goodenow does not owe the players an apology? You want to talk about illogical, try to make sense of Goodenow's tactics and form of negotiation (or lack thereof) within the past 5-6 months.

See, you are complaining that Goodenow moved off of his "no salary cap" demand, did not stick to his guns. That's being too soft. So, should he be sticking with that "no cap" position? Then you are saying that he did not do it soon enough. That's being too hard.

Are you saying that he should've taken the 32mil cap in September? Or are you saying that he should not have tried to negotiate a cap in the 45mil range in February? Perhaps I do need some comprehension lessions. I find your position hard to comprehend.

Or perhaps you should not only focus on how Goodenow's position changed during the past year, but league's as well. It takes two parties to negotiate.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
shveik said:
See, you are complaining that Goodenow moved off of his "no salary cap" demand, did not stick to his guns. That's being too soft. So, should he be sticking with that "no cap" position? Then you are saying that he did not do it soon enough. That's being too hard.

Are you saying that he should've taken the 32mil cap in September? Or are you saying that he should not have tried to negotiate a cap in the 45mil range in February? Perhaps I do need some comprehension lessions. I find your position hard to comprehend.

Or perhaps you should not only focus on how Goodenow's position changed during the past year, but league's as well. It takes two parties to negotiate.

Have you at all been following what has been going on the past couple of months? I can't believe I have to repeat my self here. I am blaming Goodenow for being foolish. I am not saying he should have accepted the leagues first offer with a salary cap, but you don't negotiate by saying you will never accept anything, then when it's too late to work out a deal you decide to change your mind. He cost the players their money by doing this. This isn't about Bob being too hard or too soft, this is about Bob being stubborn. It was inevitable that the next CBA agreement would include a salary cap, except to Goodenow. If he was willing to negotiate on a cap with no linkage sooner rather than later, we would be having a season.
Does that make any sense at all to you? If not I don't know how much more I have to dumb it down for you. The writing is on the wall.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
CBJ Bob said:
I've been in and around unions before. Their only purpose is to represent the workers they represent best interest. They are to negotiate the best deal they can.

Clearly this didn't happen. Bob made this a personal battle with Betman. He did not recognize the economic reality of NA todays sports and the deal the union ultimatley accepts will be less than what was offered ALMOST 2 WEEKS AGO.

Bob represented his ego and not the players he represented. For this , at a minumum, he owes an appolgy to the PA.

I'm tired of listening to the PA whine. SHUT UP AND PLAY SOME HOCKEY!!!

Wow. It sounds like you live your life through the NHL. Move on brother.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
IMO, there will not be any heat on Goodenow unless a group of players has gotten together before the meeting to air their grievances. In a meeting, they won't speak up unless they have substantial enough numbers to support their position. Personally, I am looking forward to hearing whether or not heat is brought to bear on Goodenow in the meeting. If there is, I think we will have hockey sooner rather than later. It probably has a lot more to do with whether hockey is played this October than anything the BOG might do.

Wetcoaster

T@T said:
Dare i ask what a "petard" is :eek:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

A petard was a medieval term for a small bomb used to blow up gates and walls when breaching fortifications.

It remains in modern usage in the phrase to be hoist by one's own petard, which means to be harmed by one's own plan to harm someone else. Shakespeare used the now proverbial phrase in Hamlet.

Etymology: Middle French, from peter to break wind, from pet expulsion of intestinal gas, from Latin peditum, from neuter of peditus, past participle of pedere to break wind; akin to Greek bdein to break wind.

Probably way more than you needed to know. ;)

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Ziggy Stardust said:
Have you at all been following what has been going on the past couple of months? I can't believe I have to repeat my self here. I am blaming Goodenow for being foolish. I am not saying he should have accepted the leagues first offer with a salary cap, but you don't negotiate by saying you will never accept anything, then when it's too late to work out a deal you decide to change your mind. He cost the players their money by doing this. This isn't about Bob being too hard or too soft, this is about Bob being stubborn. It was inevitable that the next CBA agreement would include a salary cap, except to Goodenow. If he was willing to negotiate on a cap with no linkage sooner rather than later, we would be having a season.
Does that make any sense at all to you? If not I don't know how much more I have to dumb it down for you. The writing is on the wall.

I am sorry if I appear too dense and try your patience asking for an explanation. It must be tough being so smart. You probably are the only one who knows exactly how Goodenow and Bettman should have conducted the negotiations, and whose turn it was to make concessions and when. But then again it's a bit easier when you are playing both sides of the chessboard.

Keep up the good work :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->