What do you think is going to happen at the PA meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
It's hard for me to believe there won't be a lot of unhappy players there.

Considering how weak and victimized (by themselves) they've become, how can it be a "rah rah, let's keep playing in Europe"-fest?

I'm really hoping for a Goodenow dismissal, but I also think the chances of that happening, sadly to say, are extremely low.

What do you think is gonna happen at the PA meeting?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
getnziggywidit said:
It's hard for me to believe there won't be a lot of unhappy players there.

Considering how weak and victimized (by themselves) they've become, how can it be a "rah rah, let's keep playing in Europe"-fest?

I'm really hoping for a Goodenow dismissal, but I also think the chances of that happening, sadly to say, are extremely low.

What do you think is gonna happen at the PA meeting?
Now the agents will get a ''CBA update'' from NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow in Toronto on Wednesday. It's expected to be similar in nature to the meeting agents had with the NHLPA in Chicago last November.

''That's what I would anticipate,'' agent Pat Morris said Wednesday.
Some agents have privately voiced their displeasure that a deal wasn't reached last weekend, so the NHLPA is smart to reel them in and answer all their questions.

In Chicago, the meeting had a galvanizing effect on the agents, and the same will likely hold true next Wednesday

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=115889

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not that any of us expect this to happen, but Bob Goodenow should be apologizing to the players and agents for not getting a deal done. He should apologize for lying to them when he kept saying that he would never negotiate a salary cap, and in the 11th hour, he decides a salary cap is acceptable.
But of course, he doesn't owe anybody an apology as we saw from his press conference. Blame it on the other side.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ziggy Stardust said:
Not that any of us expect this to happen, but Bob Goodenow should be apologizing to the players and agents for not getting a deal done. He should apologize for lying to them when he kept saying that he would never negotiate a salary cap, and in the 11th hour, he decides a salary cap is acceptable.
But of course, he doesn't owe anybody an apology as we saw from his press conference. Blame it on the other side.
The Salary Cap Move was a strategy move by the Union to block and IMPASSE attempt or at least make it more difficult ..

"There was speculation Tuesday that the NHL Players' Association's offer to play under a salary cap — at a $52-million US level still not palatable to the league — could be a legal manoeuvre to help prove later on that the two sides did not really reach a bargaining impasse."

Feher, one of the principal negotiators for four past collective bargaining agreements in the NFL and two in the NBA, wouldn't comment on suggestions the union's discussion of playing under a high salary cap was just legal manoeuvre, calling it a "major step for the union to take" in any regard.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050215.wnhlaw15/BNStory

Last edited:

SPARTAKUS*

The Messenger said:
The Salary Cap Move was a strategy move by the Union to block and IMPASSE attempt or at least make it more difficult ..

"There was speculation Tuesday that the NHL Players' Association's offer to play under a salary cap — at a $52-million US level still not palatable to the league — could be a legal manoeuvre to help prove later on that the two sides did not really reach a bargaining impasse."

Feher, one of the principal negotiators for four past collective bargaining agreements in the NFL and two in the NBA, wouldn't comment on suggestions the union's discussion of playing under a high salary cap was just legal manoeuvre, calling it a "major step for the union to take" in any regard.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050215.wnhlaw15/BNStory
Now you tell me if the PA is negociating in good faith? They offer the cap just to block an impasse. It sounds to me that the union is desperate?????

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They were serious in neogeotiating a salary cap or else they wouldn't have come back with a $49M offer.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I thought Bob would NEVER accept a cap? he had all his zealots saying it (McCabe anyone?) then he goes against everything he was fighting for for 6 months and accepts a cap....
he has some explainin' to do!

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I think that they will agree that they deserve more money.

After all the stress of having to play in rec leagues, stealing people's jobs, and playing golf for an entire season; not to mention having to go to a handful of meetings... what else could they possibly come to a more clear agreement upon?

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Ziggy Stardust said:

I think you have to choose what Goodenow should apologize for:

1. Giving up on the "no salary cap" demand and trying to negotiate a deal.

2. Not giving up enough to get the deal done.

Cannot be both.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
shveik said:
I think you have to choose what Goodenow should apologize for:

1. Giving up on the "no salary cap" demand and trying to negotiate a deal.

2. Not giving up enough to get the deal done.

Cannot be both.

As I said, he lied to them about "never negotiating" a salary cap. He should also apologize for costing the players billions of dollars, an entire seasons worth of pay for the players/agents.

And Goodenow said they will never negotiate a deal with linkage. But of course, when NHL revenues go up, there will be upwards linkage that will increase the size of the cap, but they wouldn't take a hit if revenues decrease (which is inevitable).

He should apologize for not negotiating in a timely manner. He decided to accept a cap when it was way too late, with no time left to spare.

He should apologize for making the players look like a flock of fools, one after another saying they would rather see the NHL season cancelled before accepting a salary cap (and they got their wish).

I can't wait to hear the NHLPA claim how all of its 700+ members are more united than ever before.

Goodenow should also finally apologize to Mark Messier, Steve Yzerman, Luc Robitaille and Dave Andreychuk for would could have been their one final farewell tour during the 2004-2005 season.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Ziggy Stardust said:
As I said, he lied to them about "never negotiating" a salary cap. He should also apologize for costing the players billions of dollars, an entire seasons worth of pay for the players/agents.

And Goodenow said they will never negotiate a deal with linkage. But of course, when NHL revenues go up, there will be upwards linkage that will increase the size of the cap, but they wouldn't take a hit if revenues decrease (which is inevitable).

He should apologize for not negotiating in a timely manner. He decided to accept a cap when it was way too late, with no time left to spare.

He should apologize for making the players look like a flock of fools, one after another saying they would rather see the NHL season cancelled before accepting a salary cap (and they got their wish).

I can't wait to hear the NHLPA claim how all of its 700+ members are more united than ever before.

Goodenow should also finally apologize to Mark Messier, Steve Yzerman, Luc Robitaille and Dave Andreychuk for would could have been their one final farewell tour during the 2004-2005 season.

You want to put blame only on Goodenow for the way the negotiations went? That's your business, I just wanted to point out that it's illogical to claim that he was *both* too hard and too soft during negotiations.

At this rate we will soon need Batman and Superman together fighting against evil Bob "the Knob" Goodenow.
:lol:

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
shveik said:
You want to put blame only on Goodenow for the way the negotiations went? That's your business, I just wanted to point out that it's illogical to claim that he was *both* too hard and too soft during negotiations.
It's not illogical to think Goodeknob was *both* too hard and too soft during negotiations, because he demonstrated just that.
When he thought he could get things only his way, he was badass Bob.
When he found out that his lame-ass tactics weren't working, he softened up like a big, fat marshmallow with red hair.

PantherBlood6*

go kim johnsson said:
They were serious in neogeotiating a salary cap or else they wouldn't have come back with a $49M offer.

So if the NHLPA originally offered a $125 million cap -- would they be negotiating in good faith if they came back and offered $115 mil? You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ***** no matter how much mayonnaise you put in it. They knew the $49 million figure was way too high for the NHL's interests -- if they had any intent in negotiating a salary cap they would have offered a reasonable figure.

If you honestly bought into the PA's transparent propaganda -- I don't know what to tell you.

Wetcoaster

e-townchamps said:
I thought Bob would NEVER accept a cap? he had all his zealots saying it (McCabe anyone?) then he goes against everything he was fighting for for 6 months and accepts a cap....
You have obviously never been involved in labour negotiations.

What is said publicly may not always be (and seldom is) what the bottom line will be. I can guarantee you if the bargaining committee had shared its strategy with the 750 members someone would have been unable to keep his mouth shut. And that is a problem.

The players gave the bargaining committee the authority to negotiate how they best saw fit.

In this case the NHL moved off linkage (the first substantive move the NHL made from their opening position) and the NHLPA responded.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
shveik said:

At this rate we will soon need Batman and Superman together fighting against evil Bob "the Knob" Goodenow.

Perhaps you need to improve your reading comprehension. Where did I say Bob was too hard or soft on his demands? He didn't stick to his guns. He bent and now the players are in a vulnerable position. His negotiation tactics have failed and it has cost a lot of individuals a ton of money, therefore, he owes them an apology.
He knew what the owners were seeking, and he finally was willing to negotiate a deal with a cap when it was already too late. Is that simple enough for you to understand?
It is safe to assume that you believe Goodenow does not owe the players an apology? You want to talk about illogical, try to make sense of Goodenow's tactics and form of negotiation (or lack thereof) within the past 5-6 months.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I predict lots of high fiving, and players boasting how large their share of the wasted cash is - "I've personally accounted for $10 million of the 1.5 billion lost so far buddy, beat that!" "Oh yeah, I not only lost $9 million in salary, but I also lost out on $1.5 million doing commercials!"

It'll be a huge love-in (just like the 1969 movie "Bob & Trev & Guerin & Allison" http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0064100/ :) )

Everyone will come out smiling, arm in arm, saying how great everything is, and how Bob is doing such a great job, and how all the players are 100% behind him and the leadership...

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Only a hundred are expected to show up. That means the vast majority of players are either happy with the way things are going or they do not care enough to bother to show up and be counted. It is a pep rally. Rah. Rah.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Maybe it will turn into a Jerry Springer show...nah...it would be nice to see Goodenow put on the hot seat by one or two of the top end guys, then the rest would follow...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
e-townchamps said:
Putting it on the table and agreeing to a new CBA are two different things ..

A Salary Cap has never been negotiated into a CBA in any major sport .. The NFL had theirs imposed through the courts ..

If the NHL ends up with a Salary Cap ..I am pretty sure Goodenow will force the NHL to get it through the courts and over his dead body ..

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
wazee said:
Only a hundred are expected to show up. That means the vast majority of players are either happy with the way things are going or they do not care enough to bother to show up and be counted. It is a pep rally. Rah. Rah.

Or they know that if they were there and voiced anything other than the party line, the NHLPA goon squad will be there to harrass them until they shut up and toe the party line...

CBJ Bob

Summer Time Blues
Jun 20, 2002
In Hiding
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
You have obviously never been involved in labour negotiations.

What is said publicly may not always be (and seldom is) what the bottom line will be. I can guarantee you if the bargaining committee had shared its strategy with the 750 members someone would have been unable to keep his mouth shut. And that is a problem.

The players gave the bargaining committee the authority to negotiate how they best saw fit.

In this case the NHL moved off linkage (the first substantive move the NHL made from their opening position) and the NHLPA responded.

I've been in and around unions before. Their only purpose is to represent the workers they represent best interest. They are to negotiate the best deal they can.

Clearly this didn't happen. Bob made this a personal battle with Betman. He did not recognize the economic reality of NA todays sports and the deal the union ultimatley accepts will be less than what was offered ALMOST 2 WEEKS AGO.

Bob represented his ego and not the players he represented. For this , at a minumum, he owes an appolgy to the PA.

I'm tired of listening to the PA whine. SHUT UP AND PLAY SOME HOCKEY!!!

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
CBJ Bob said:
I've been in and around unions before. Their only purpose is to represent the workers they represent best interest. They are to negotiate the best deal they can.

Clearly this didn't happen. Bob made this a personal battle with Betman. He did not recognize the economic reality of NA todays sports and the deal the union ultimatley accepts will be less than what was offered ALMOST 2 WEEKS AGO.

Bob represented his ego and not the players he represented. For this , at a minumum, he owes an appolgy to the PA.

I'm tired of listening to the PA whine. SHUT UP AND PLAY SOME HOCKEY!!!

Bob made it personal? How about both of them did. Gary Bettman deserves just as much blame as Bob Goodenow for making the negotiations personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad