HF Habs: What do you prefer? A rebuild (top 5 picks) or a Cinderella hopeful playoff team?

What do you prefer?

• Total voters

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Rebuild is bull**** with this lottery thing.

A rebuild isn’t about getting 1st or 2nd overall picks. It’s about accumulating draft picks and getting the best selections in all seven rounds, not just round 1. Just because there’s risk doesn’t mean it’s not worth a gamble. If they decide a rebuild is failing in the future, they can always go back to where we are right now throwing stupid money at players to try and make the playoffs. The 25 and under core Bergevin inherited from other GM’s is close to drying up and those 100 point seasons will be increasingly hard to repeat with other teams managing there teams much better then us.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
A rebuild isn’t about getting 1st or 2nd overall picks. It’s about accumulating draft picks and getting the best selections in all seven rounds, not just round 1. Just because there’s risk doesn’t mean it’s not worth a gamble. If they decide a rebuild is failing in the future, they can always go back to where we are right now throwing stupid money at players to try and make the playoffs. The 25 and under core Bergevin inherited from other GM’s is close to drying up and those 100 point seasons will be increasingly hard to repeat with other teams managing there teams much better then us.
Dude! Would you agree that Pacioretty, Weber and Price are top 3 talents?

How many years would you need to draft to just get at the same position ?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Weber isn't getting any younger, Pacioretty's career has taken a nose dive in his style and the subsequent results and this year Price isn't even a 1st rounder let alone 5th overall worthy in a draft where Kopitar was also available.

It's not just about quality anyways it's about having these type of players when we are close to competing not when we are missing key pieces that you only get by tanking or being good at drafting and development.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Weber isn't getting any younger, Pacioretty's career has taken a nose dive in his style and the subsequent results and this year Price isn't even a 1st rounder let alone 5th overall worthy in a draft where Kopitar was also available.

It's not just about quality anyways it's about having these type of players when we are close to completing not when we are missing key pieces that you only get by tanking or being good at drafting and development.

You don't get the logic.

If you trade those guys for picks what are the chances you'll draft the same quality? And how long it will take to draft a new Pacioretty, Price and Weber?

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
All recent cup winners have had multiple high draft picks. Can't think of an underdog team winning a cup since Carolina but even they drafted Staal.

2017,2016,2009 Pittsburgh
2012, 2014 LA
2010,2013,2015 Chicago

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
You don't get the logic.

If you trade those guys for picks what are the chances you'll draft the same quality? And how long it will take to draft a new Pacioretty, Price and Weber?

We don't need these players right now, our GM made the mediocre moves at the wrong times. He has turned what should have been a straight forward rebuild with excellent pieces into a smaller window of oppurtunity by aging our D. Especially when Subban is the same age as the other core pieces. There are so many other examples of this behaviour and I'm not going to regurgitate it all here.

I think it's unfortunately (and with all due respect) you who is not understanding the logic and the global picture. We are heading in the wrong direction towards a 2nd Iceberg and you are saying maintain course. It's absolutely illogical and plainly ludicrous at this point.

Your fandom and loyalty needs to be earned, stop being so quick to give it away.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

The time to capitalize on those players was 5 years ago. Even so, each has there own large question marks when it comes to the playoffs. We don’t have the assets to fill the large holes we have all over the lineup without creating new ones and free agency is a crap shoot where you end up hurting yourself more then helping. How many big names players who hit free agency come out overpaid and looking terrible? The answer is the draft and if you’re saying Bergevin can’t possibly do anything when he’s drafting in the high end of each round, then we need to start picking lower which is why a rebuild is mentioned by many posters.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The answer is the draft and if you’re saying Bergevin can’t possibly do anything when he’s drafting in the high end of each round, then we need to start picking lower which is why a rebuild is mentioned by many posters.

That's the added benefit of the position we're in. It's not just quantity but quality of picks -- too bad they're being presided over by a clueless GM.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
All recent cup winners have had multiple high draft picks. Can't think of an underdog team winning a cup since Carolina but even they drafted Staal.

2017,2016,2009 Pittsburgh
2012, 2014 LA
2010,2013,2015 Chicago
When looking at this, one could come to the conclusion thats its LA’s turn.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Pipe dream...

• Draft Dahlin
  • Sign Tavares
  • Trade Pacioretty for Borgstrom
  • Have players play to their abilities (Price, Weber, Drouin)
  • Acquire another top 4 D
If all those things happen then I believe the team can make the playoffs and compete in the East.

I'm not interested in some Buffalo type rebuild.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
We don't even have a 2C and our GM thinks that it's impossible to trade for one... LOL. Not sure how anyone can expect to even go on a cinderella run with Danault and Drouin being your 1-2 punch at C....:help:
We don't have a 2C? We don't have a 1C either... Oh wait sorry. I forgot. Pleks is coming back so we may have a 1C again.

Reactions: PuckSeparator

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
We don't have a 2C? We don't have a 1C either... Oh wait sorry. I forgot. Pleks is coming back so we may have a 1C again.
Is he still 0-0-0 across the board? Haven't checked in a while... I guess the reg season doesn't matter since the playoffs are about to start, and Pleks always shines in the real season. :sarcasm:

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Is he still 0-0-0 across the board? Haven't checked in a while... I guess the reg season doesn't matter since the playoffs are about to start, and Pleks always shines in the real season. :sarcasm:
Harsh man... he has 2 assists. He's also a -2 which is not very Pleks like.
Marc- "is Tomas can get 2 assists on a team like the Leafs, imagine the success he would have as a 2C for us."

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The big problem with a rebuild is that we have an incompetent GM so the rebuild will fail. We have an incompetent owner, so when he finally does decide to replace his incompetent GM he's likely going to hire another incompetent.

So the question really boils down to whether it's more entertaining to watch a losing team with some great players, or a team that gives you some great playoff memories but never goes that far.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pipe dream...

• Draft Dahlin
  • Sign Tavares
  • Trade Pacioretty for Borgstrom
  • Have players play to their abilities (Price, Weber, Drouin)
  • Acquire another top 4 D
If all those things happen then I believe the team can make the playoffs and compete in the East.

I'm not interested in some Buffalo type rebuild.

Come on ... how are these myths continued to be perpetrated. Always the same longshot dreams every damn off season.

And it's not just this post. A lot of fans set themselves up for disappointment. The post says that it's a "pipe dream", but it's being written anyway.

I want the best for the team as much as the next fan but frankly, I'm having trouble suscribing to these hoped for events that demand incredible luck.

Odds are they won't land the first overall. Tavares will not sign here. They won't get Borgstrom for Pacioretty. And Price and Weber are getting older, with Weber in particular coming off major surgery. Drouin will not play to his ability by staying at center.

The only thing that is realistic from your list is acquiring a top 4D. Other than that, as much as I'd like all of those to happen, I just can't wrap my mind around them. We have the wrong people in place to make it happen plus the longshot factor.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
This team is so bad that it needs a 3 years rebuild minimum. Its unfortunate but we will need to waste Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Hudon, Lehkonen and Scherbak prime years.

Either you're really bad with math or you,re deluded about what prime years actually are.

Gotta love all these players that are 24, 25 or 26 in three years having wasted their prime years. Gallagher might not have many great years left in the tank, especially given his style of play, but for the rest, you're just unnecessarily being an alarmist.

If you'd mentioned Weber, maybe. Price? Somewhat.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Come on ... how are these myths continued to be perpetrated. Always the same longshot dreams every damn off season.

And it's not just this post. A lot of fans set themselves up for disappointment. The post says that it's a "pipe dream", but it's being written anyway.

I want the best for the team as much as the next fan but frankly, I'm having trouble suscribing to these hoped for events that demand incredible luck.

Odds are they won't land the first overall. Tavares will not sign here. They won't get Borgstrom for Pacioretty. And Price and Weber are getting older, with Weber in particular coming off major surgery. Drouin will not play to his ability by staying at center.

The only thing that is realistic from your list is acquiring a top 4D. Other than that, as much as I'd like all of those to happen, I just can't wrap my mind around them. We have the wrong people in place to make it happen plus the longshot factor.

So I can expect nothing to happen and we'll be just as bad, if not worse, next season? Well that sucks :(

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So I can expect nothing to happen and we'll be just as bad, if not worse, next season? Well that sucks :(

You can expect what you like and that's your prerogative as a fan. I'm just tired of setting myself up for disappointments. I'd like everything you wrote to happen, I just can't get myself to even write it, I'm so put off by the way Molson has chosen to tackle one of the worst seasons in Habs' history and how one of the worst GMs in the league continues to be trusted.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
You can expect what you like and that's your prerogative as a fan. I'm just tired of setting myself up for disappointments. I'd like everything you wrote to happen, I just can't get myself to even write it, I'm so put off by the way Molson has chosen to tackle one of the worst seasons in Habs' history and how one of the worst GMs in the league continues to be trusted.

It's definitely a fault of mine to be eternally optimistic when it comes to this team. MB and Molson have done a great job of beating down my spirit though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad