HF Habs: What do you prefer? A rebuild (top 5 picks) or a Cinderella hopeful playoff team?

What do you prefer?

• Total voters

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Go for the rebuild, when was the last time the cinderella team won the cup? Making the eastern conference finals is fun and all but I want a team thats a legit contender year after year.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It's because of MB that we are even in the bull**** lottery thing......

People were claiming for a rebuild for a while actually...

Since you’re not on the rebuild frame of mind, what exactly would you propose? I’m being serious here. I get you don’t want a rebuild but what is your solution or steps?

I have nothing man TBH...

I just don't think selling everything and relying on a lottery is the way to go.

This team has some solid players in Price, Pacioretty and Weber.

Let's say you trade them for picks.

How many years will it take to draft a new Pacioretty a new Price and a new Weber?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Been hoping for a real rebuild since 2012, when I truly believed Bergevin was THE guy we long awaited to build a real team.

Then, I thought that in 2016 it was clearer that the team was solely built with the idea that Price would save it from itself, and hoped Bergevin would get it.

Now at the end of 2018, a season where I watched a record low number of games and where most of the people I know who were fans just abandoned the team, and after watching Bergevin making a fool of himself, getting angry and spewing nonsense at reporters finally free of Beauchamp grasp, I can't say I'm optimist about what's about to happen.

Do I still want a rebuild ? Damn right I want, I mean, Price didn't even save the team this season, unlike last year, and he had a pitiful wretch in front of him to boot...

Do I believe Bergevin will rebuild ? Pffff not with his attitude.

Only-try-to.jpg

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
People were claiming for a rebuild for a while actually...

I have nothing man TBH...

I just don't think selling everything and relying on a lottery is the way to go.

This team has some solid players in Price, Pacioretty and Weber.

Let's say you trade them for picks.

How many years will it take to draft a new Pacioretty a new Price and a new Weber?

Fair enough, and yes, relying on the lottery is a recipe for failure.

However, I am of the opinion you don’t need to rely on a lottery win to do a rebuild or at the very least, a serious retool. The Bruins I think have just proven you can do a big wipe yet retain key veteran assets. Time will tell if this equals long term success but they have been trending upwards since 2015-2016.

A rebuild takes planning and foresight. That said, I don’t have the confidence in the current management to accomplish it. Scouting, development, asset management are three areas the Habs are deficient in. Personally, I think they are 4 key pieces away (1C, 2C, 1st LHD, 2nd LHD) which is going to be really tough to solve if going by free agency to fix.

I mean, there’s a lot of variables in real life, I get it. It’s pretty easy to retool on a PlayStation, but there’s more challenges with real assets. That said, it isn’t impossible and it takes planning. I’ve written papers and case studies on the topic of strategic management and know enough waiting for a generational player to fall in your lap is foolhardy.

Anyhow, long winded answer, but a rebuild or (major) retool with a plan I think is a heck of a lot better than hoping for Tavares to sign, Weber to recover 100%, Price to rebound, Gallagher to continue build on this year, Pacioretty to resign at a team friendly deal AND perform like his old regular season self, and all of our current (mediocre) prospects to take a step forward. No doubt, some things will pan out but not all.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Rebuild is bull**** with this lottery thing.
whats wrong with the lottery? If anything it increases our chances at a generational talent like Hughes and Dahlin big time. And theres nothing wrong to draft in the top 7, its in fact amazing. look at the jets (schefeille, 7OA Ehlers, 9OA).

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
What I found confusing in this board is board members saying we suck and need a rebuild while crying after every defeat. If we go for a full rebuild, we are going to suck and lose a lot for the next 2-3 years. And no we are not going to be entertaining before the start of the new era. The Nordique onlys started to being entertaining when they had a chance to enter the playoffs.

That being said... I am in for a complete rebuild, but I can't say I'm going to watch a lot of games for the next two years... unless we get a lot of young exiting players every year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rebuild on the fly.. go year by year with Price and Weber. Trade them if there is a serious offer. Otherwise, have them lead our young group. Will be headaches but it’s simple.. focus on youth and don’t trade picks or prospects until this roster starts to look like a contender. We can turn this around quick if we acquire a few grade A prospects.

There are many young players with skill and talent behind Gallagher and he is only age 26. Keep adding to it.

A complete rebuild hoping for draft lottery wins is a foolish game. Look at our chances we got for Dahlin this year.

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
Everybody says that they want a rebuild but can they put up with 2-5 years of missing the playoffs. They're freaking out out after missing one year.

1) Who will be the GM?
2) Who will be the coach?
3) Tanking doesn't mean that you'll be good. Edmonton, Buffalo, Arizona have been at the bottom forever.
4) If you finish last it doesn't mean that you'll get the top pick.

Reactions: Astormynight

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Rebuild on the fly.. go year by year with Price and Weber. Trade them if there is a serious offer. Otherwise, have them lead our young group. Will be headaches but it’s simple.. focus on youth and don’t trade picks or prospects until this roster starts to look like a contender. We can turn this around quick if we acquire a few grade A prospects.

There are many young players with skill and talent behind Gallagher and he is only age 26. Keep adding to it
We need game breaking super elite talent. What we have are 2nd line players, a 33 years #1 old dmen on the decline and a 31 years old injury prone goalie sign for 8 more years at 10.5mil a season. We have zero assets of value so you can forget rebuilding on the fly. This team needs a purge and a good long tank.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Everybody says that they want a rebuild but can they put up with 2-5 years of missing the playoffs. They're freaking out out after missing one year.

1) Who will be the GM?
2) Who will be the coach?
3) Tanking doesn't mean that you'll be good. Edmonton, Buffalo, Arizona have been at the bottom forever.
4) If you finish last it doesn't mean that you'll get the top pick.

1) any one other than MB.
2) Julien, in the future? A young-player-friendly coach. The guy from Team Canada U20
3) Tanking also means u can be amazing. In fact, tanking is literally ur only chance at a cup. Show me one team that has won a cup without tanking. Pitt? Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Fleury. LA? Doughty. Chi? Kane, Teows....
4) if u dont finish last, u can win the 1OA pick. The odds after the changes are much higher than before the change.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We need game breaking super elite talent. What we have are 2nd line players, a 33 years #1 old dmen on the decline and a 31 years old injury prone goalie sign for 8 more years at 10.5mil a season. We have zero assets of value so you can forget rebuilding on the fly. This team needs a purge and a good long tank.

Doesn’t have to happen in one off season. And they key is to stock pile prospects and have them force other older players out.

I’m only trading Price or Weber if the offer is solid. Not to a team interested in buying low cause we have an advertised sale. If we continue to struggle, take your time with the trade negotiations. Their value goes up when the cap grows by a lot.. which it will. Plus Price has a NMC. Weber would have to be traded first

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
True but tbh in 3 years we can have a terrific young core of:
Svech/Dahlin/Zadina/Wahlstrom - 21 yo
Hughes - 20 yo
Lafreniere - 19 yo

Complemented by players younger than 27 those u listed plus Droiun Mete Juulsen and any second rounders + those from the pacs trade...

if the NHL guarantees the Habs win the draft lottery the next two seasons, sure I’m all for that kind of rebuild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->