HF Habs: What do you prefer? A rebuild (top 5 picks) or a Cinderella hopeful playoff team?

What do you prefer?

• Total voters

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
A rebuild. While 2010 was a true cinderella run and 2014 (though that was a better team that just was banged up at the wrong time), it doesn't mean they were contenders long term. 1st round exit following 2010-11 and then a disaster of a season in 2011-12 caused changes. 2012-15 were 3 good seasons, with 3 playoff round wins, but again maybe with the exception of 2014-15 they didn't feel like contenders.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Both
It will not be easy but I would like to do what Boston did when they traded Lucic
A quick semi rebuild while having a good enough core to compete
What's crazy is that they could have been even stronger had they not missed out on Connor, Barzal or Boeser
At the end of the day, we all know a full rebuild will NOT happen in Montreal

Reactions: Video Coach

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
How do you cast a vote? There's nothing for me to click on.

Anyway, if it were up to me I'd have gutted this team from ear to ear at least a couple of years ago. We were never going to win anything with Pacioretty or Plekanec or Desharnais or Boullion or Ryder or Therrien or any of the other assorted 4th liners, 7th defensemen or recycled coaches they've been serving us. They need to blow it up and start from scratch.

Of course, what everyone wants and what everyone recognizes is the only way to truly fix things doesn't matter. We also know that management and ownership (even if they secretly agree with our assessment) will never go through with it. The mandate is to patch the team up with short-term fixes and get into the playoffs. Beyond that any plans for winning the Cup will be purely "faith-based" in nature...mostly faith that Price will stand on his head and steal a Cup a la Patrick Roy 86 or Ken Dryden 71.

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
I'm for a rebuild. Just look at the possibilities in the next two drafts alone. Building through the draft can also be about timing. The next few drafts provide depth and the variety this team needs. This is not a bad time to suck for a few years.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

cujo1117

Mar 30, 2018
rebuild is the obvious choice but the 2010 run brought me the biggest joy has a habs fan and just seeing the city behind the team that spring was amazing.

Reactions: Legend123

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
This team is so bad that it needs a 3 years rebuild minimum. Its unfortunate but we will need to waste Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Hudon, Lehkonen and Scherbak prime years.
True but tbh in 3 years we can have a terrific young core of:
Svech/Dahlin/Zadina/Wahlstrom - 21 yo
Hughes - 20 yo
Lafreniere - 19 yo

Complemented by players younger than 27 those u listed plus Droiun Mete Juulsen and any second rounders + those from the pacs trade...

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If you want serious answers then you should maybe not present the options in such a slanted way.

Reactions: KawaYui

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->