What do you love most about the World Juniors?

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
All these negative clouds hanging around on this side of the forum post the tournament is draining for the mind, so would love to know what other posters truly love about this tournament and what is the perception in your country's as the years go along. Is the popularity increasing? What can we expect in the Czech Republic next year?

It's obviously now ingrained in Canadian culture and is part of the holiday season for so many Canadians, but what I find and love is how immersive emotionally this tournament is. Watching these kid's play as if their lives are on the line, in a way no tournament, or no other Hockey throughout the year can match in passion. So free flowing, the player's are so raw, yet the moments are completely dressed to spontaneous perfection.

One of my favourite moments this year and each year is seeing the underdog team compete no matter what. Witnessing Victoria create a bandwagon cheering for Kazakhstan and admiring the the brilliance of their goaltender as they qualified for another year in the top division was amazing, these are moments they'll remember forever, as will the fans.

What about you?!

Genu

Mar 19, 2011
Finland
I know many disagree (especially with IIHF rules in this tournament), but this tournament usually delivers some of my favourite hockey every year. So much energy, so much talent. Players make more mistakes due to their inexperience, causing for a lot of dangerous and entertaining situations. The upsets, underdogs, guys rising from unknown to national heroes. Well, for the Canada and maybe Finland anyway.

Also helps that it only misses 5-10 players (didn't do any research) to NHL, so most of the best guys get to play (most of them being Canadian, which doesn't affect them as much as others).

Though it's in America most of the time, ruining my sleep.

Reactions: Pouliot

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I like that any of the top nations realistically have a good chance to win it now.

In the last 10 years, 5 different winners.

Reactions: therealdeal

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The rosters change over time so you become acquainted with a whole group of new players before they become stars in the professional leagues.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
The passion the kids play with. You can tell it’s every kids dream to be there so they play their heart out for their country. It’s the same reason my favourite basketball to watch is March madness.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I'm not sure I can say anything that hasn't already been said. Those Russian kids weren't crying at the end of that loss because they didn't get their paycheck bonuses. These kids pour their heart and soul into this tournament. It's amazing to watch.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Many other posters have already listed the reason I too love, love, love watching the WJHC - the passion, drama, upsets, "know the stars before they become NHL stars" etc. As an American, it really sucks that this tournament doesn't get the high profile it gets in some other countries. I really think more Americans would become hockey fans if they were introduced to hockey via the WJHC. On a brighter note, looks like it will be USA v. Canada in the New Year's Eve game for next year's tournament. :) [I have to say it was a VERY strange feeling for me US and Canada didn't play each other at all this year. I am so used to seeing them play each other every year!] :D

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Energy, passion, and the ups and downs that come with teenagers playing at the highest level.

It really is the best hockey tournament in the world.

Anichels

May 3, 2013
Hub City
There is usually a 80%+ roster turnover from year to year, so you almost always see new faces represent your country.

You get to follow your NHL team's top prospects (Quinn Hughes, Mike DiPietro) which sometimes gives hope for the future.

Cheering for players who play for your local CHL team. This year for me was Simon LeCoultre playing for Switzerland - Swiss MVP in the Bronze Medal Game.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I love this thread because it's so fitting. I remember being in Toronto for the world juniors when all the Christmas regalia was still up, and the TV was on in the lobby and pundits looking like excited children talking about their kids. Their nation's kids.

International events are great because people who don't usually care about hockey can sit with friends, or go to parties, and for a few nights, care about hockey. And the ones who do, more power to party.

The pace of the game is as frantic and frenzied as any you will see. Note, I did not say fast. The smart alec will be quick to note that some senior level of hockey is faster. The pace is frenzied because the players are pushing their personal limits of how fast they can play. They are making mistakes, putting their bodies out on the line. A few players rising above the rest.

The WJC is beautiful because people are passionate about it, and when people are passionate about something there's a chance for people to be legitimately happy about something.

Reactions: Statsy

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Matt Halischuk's golden goal in 2008 is one of my favorite World Junior moments to go back and watch. Criminally underrated because of Eberle in 2009 and Carlson in 2010.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs not sucking at the last few has been lovely.lol. Next year's team could be strong too.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I literally associate the WJC tournament with Christmas candy. Since it is a day after we open our gifts and stockings I know I have a slew of chocolate. Basically I think about the WJC starting Boxing Day after Christmas is over and our family gatherings are done. That's one of the best things about it I think. The timing. I love the Christmas season, and then all of the sudden there is a great hockey tournament.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's fun to follow at a time the NHL regular season is in a dog days stretch, something different to break up the monotony. Definitely a lot more fun when your team is rebuilding and has a lot of prospects in it.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Right now with the coach we´re having, there´s not much to love.... An another tournament probably ending up as failure among others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad