What do you do with a torn MCL ?

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by VanIslander, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VanIslander

VanIslander Don't waste my time

Standing up and sitting down hurts. I take hot baths, walk with crutches.

Those with experience, what did you do to help recovery?

I can't imagine bending my knees ever again in a crotch position, nor standing up straight

:cry: help!

2. blitzkriegs

blitzkriegs Registered User

Home Page:
    see a Dr....

a sprained MCL can recover with non-use, ice, and some minor PT. A torn MCL is another ballgame. Depending on severity, surgery is quite possible + 3 mos. of PT.

Just be thankful it's an Mcl, not a Acl.

3. Racer_X

Racer_X Registered User

What is the severity of your tear? Mine was 75% and my Orthopedic Surgeon would not correct it with surgery. I was told that an mcl will close it's tear with scar tissue, given it's not a complete tear. However, to strengthen my knee i was in PT for several months to strengthen my quad. This will help to stabilize the knee but is not a permanent fix. See your physician and see if you can get a referral to an orthopedist. They will probably need an mri to determine the severity of your tear. Good luck, but if there's a silver lining to it your legs will get stronger with exercise and you'll be able to tell when it's going to rain about a day or two before anyone else. ;)
    BTW... Ice is the best for the pain. 30 minutes at a time or as long as you can stand it. I was addicted to the ice and loved not feeling the pain for a few hours after!

4. Steelhead16

Steelhead16 Registered User

That's not as cool as it sounds, I can't sleep for those 2 nights before either.

Previous posts were right. If not a complete tear......rest and then PT and strengthen everything around it and you'll be good. Stationary bike will help get the mobility back, then maybe move to a mini trampoline before you start to run or skate again.
    Make sure and see a Dr. first though, it's too important not to. I don't know how old you are but I thought I was indestructable when I was in my early 20's. I didn't go to the Dr. unless I had a limb missing. Now in my 40's I regret a lot of that. Cold mornings are miserable. Good Luck!!

5. znk

znk Registered User

TOP SECRET
    I walk it off.;)

6. weaponomega

weaponomega Registered User

Bank Robber
    amputate the ****ing leg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.