What do ur leafs look like next year , if u were Lou

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
there is no way the Leafs are paying 7m for either Marner or Nylander....6 -6.5 tops and Marner will get the bigger number

If Tavares asked who he was getting for wingers and he was told that, he'll sign back in Long Island

if the Leafs sign him he'll more then likely get Marleau and Brown

Kapanen would play with Kadri and Magic...ohh the speed and trickery

7 million for Nylander/Marner is a possibility considering 1) cap is rising and as a result so will contracts 2) if the Leafs want to eat up any of their UFA years with the deal.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Pretty much status quo.

Let the older UFAs walk (Bozak, Komarov, Polak) and attempt to re-sign JVR on a bargain. If he prices himself out, let him walk too and address that loss internally (Johnsson, Grundstrom, Korshkov, etc.). Attempt to dump contracts like Martin to a younger team trying to get to the cap floor, such as Arizona.

The Tavares idea is a pipe dream and so is Carlson, to a lesser extent. I would still take a hard run at Carlson, and if that is successful, I would shop Gardiner post-free agency for a centre before he becomes a UFA later that year. Alleviates the left side and allows Dermott/Borgman to see regular minutes, which they are now ready for.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
JVR* - _______ - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - Gauthier - Brown
(Ex. Aaltonen, Leivo)

Rielly - Carlson
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Hainsey
(Carrick, Holl)

Andersen
Pickard

This way Johnsson can be eased in to the NHL, and after Marleau receives his bonus at the end of the season, he can either be shopped or swapped with AJ the following year. Some potentials for Gardiner's 2C return could be Domi, Stepan, Coyle, etc.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I'm pretty sure the league is well aware that JVR just might be one of the worst defensive player in the NHL. As a low-life team that needs to put on a show, I'd sign him to delude fans into thinking we were doing something so they would buy season tickets. But if I truly wanted to win the Cup, I'd steer clear of him completely. You don't win scoring goals, you win by scoring more goals the then opposition, something JVR will do miserably. JVR's limited no-trade clause would of had him nix probably all the low-life teams out of the mix. JVR wasn't traded because there wasn't a market for him. You can't compare him to Rick Nash, who almost has the same amount of takeways this season as JVR has in the last two seasons combined. I wouldn't hesitate to sit him out a few games to see if young inexperienced Marlies couldn't do a better job. As for next season, if the Leafs re-sign JVR, it will be a massive disappointment for a club that's #1 priority should be improving their defensive play.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
I'm pretty sure the league is well aware that JVR just might be one of the worst defensive player in the NHL. As a low-life team that needs to put on a show, I'd sign him to delude fans into thinking we were doing something so they would buy season tickets. But if I truly wanted to win the Cup, I'd steer clear of him completely. You don't win scoring goals, you win by scoring more goals the then opposition, something JVR will do miserably. JVR's limited no-trade clause would of had him nix probably all the low-life teams out of the mix. JVR wasn't traded because there wasn't a market for him. You can't compare him to Rick Nash, who almost has the same amount of takeways this season as JVR has in the last two seasons combined. I wouldn't hesitate to sit him out a few games to see if young inexperienced Marlies couldn't do a better job. As for next season, if the Leafs re-sign JVR, it will be a massive disappointment for a club that's #1 priority should be improving their defensive play.

Or a good team uses his goal scoring and firmly attaches a great 2-way C with him.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Kovalchuck - Nylander - Brown
Johnsson - Altonen - Grundstrom
Martin/Leivo

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Colin Miller
Dermott - Zaitsev

Andersen
McBackup

Sign Kovalchuck to a 1 year 8M deal and really go for it. Maybe a 4th line C if Babs wants it. Trade Timashov, Bracco and a 1st for Colin Miller from Vegas

AK1121

Mar 9, 2018
18/19 off-season

To CHI - Gardiner
To TOR - Seabrook & unconditional 1st in 18 (top 10 most likely)

To VGS - Seabrook & TOR 1st in 18 (aprox 17th-26th)
To TOR - Clarkson (LTIR) & 3rd in 20 (one of NSH, WPG & VGS)

draft one of Boqvist [RD] , Bouchard [RD], Hughes [LD] or Merkley [RD]

offer NYI 1st in 19 & B prospect for an extended Tavares...if not a fair offer, wait til he hits UFA...

if Tavares is willing or chooses to sign here...

Trade Kadri for young 3rd line Centre with 2nd line upside + A level prospect or young 3rd pairing LHD with top 4 upside if Tavares comes to T.O

Extended or Sign Tavares - 8 Years @ $10,000,000 / season or 7 Years @ $10,000,000 / season

Resign - JVR 6 Years x $6,000,000 / Season

Resign - Nylander 3 Years x $5,000,000 / season - comparable bridge deal that Kucherov received (a little higher than Kucherov's bridge deal)

Sign - Jay Beagle 1 Year x $2,000,000

Hyman [2.25] / Matthews [3.775] / Nylander [5.00]
JVR [6.00] / Tavares [10] / Marner [1.775]
Marleau [6.25] / player acquired via Kadri / Kapanen [0.925]
Johnsson [0.925] / Beagle [2] / Brown [2.1]
Martin [2.5] / Leivo [0.925]

Rielly [5] / Hainsey [3]
Dermott [0.894] / Zaitsev [4.5]
UFA / Carrick [RFA]
UFA

Andersen [5] / McElhinney [0.85]

Kessel Retention [1.2]

* assuming what the insiders believe will be an 80 million cap in 18-19 season, that gives TOR +15 million for acquired 3rd line centre via Kadri Trade & the two UFA Defense signings & Carrick's new contract.

Following year Hainsey [3], Beagle [2], McElhinney [0.85] expire; Matthews [3.775] & Marner's [1.775] are up for extensions...Roughly 11.4 million + whatever increases in Cap Space...if more space is needed Zaitsev & Martin will need to be moved, bought out or traded for cap space

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I would like to see a good old fashion hockey trade for top blue line help.

Probably would take a player of Kadri talent + prospect to land.

But sure would beat signing 35+ year olds and expecting prospects to be as good as the rookie class of 16-17.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
18/19 off-season

To CHI - Gardiner
To TOR - Seabrook & unconditional 1st in 18 (top 10 most likely)

To VGS - Seabrook & TOR 1st in 18 (aprox 17th-26th)
To TOR - Clarkson (LTIR) & 3rd in 20 (one of NSH, WPG & VGS)

draft one of Boqvist [RD] , Bouchard [RD], Hughes [LD] or Merkley [RD]

offer NYI 1st in 19 & B prospect for an extended Tavares...if not a fair offer, wait til he hits UFA...

if Tavares is willing or chooses to sign here...

Trade Kadri for young 3rd line Centre with 2nd line upside + A level prospect or young 3rd pairing LHD with top 4 upside if Tavares comes to T.O

Extended or Sign Tavares - 8 Years @ $10,000,000 / season or 7 Years @ $10,000,000 / season

Resign - JVR 6 Years x $6,000,000 / Season

Resign - Nylander 3 Years x $5,000,000 / season - comparable bridge deal that Kucherov received (a little higher than Kucherov's bridge deal)

Sign - Jay Beagle 1 Year x $2,000,000

Hyman [2.25] / Matthews [3.775] / Nylander [5.00]
JVR [6.00] / Tavares [10] / Marner [1.775]
Marleau [6.25] / player acquired via Kadri / Kapanen [0.925]
Johnsson [0.925] / Beagle [2] / Brown [2.1]
Martin [2.5] / Leivo [0.925]

Rielly [5] / Hainsey [3]
Dermott [0.894] / Zaitsev [4.5]
UFA / Carrick [RFA]
UFA

Andersen [5] / McElhinney [0.85]

Kessel Retention [1.2]

* assuming what the insiders believe will be an 80 million cap in 18-19 season, that gives TOR +15 million for acquired 3rd line centre via Kadri Trade & the two UFA Defense signings & Carrick's new contract.

Following year Hainsey [3], Beagle [2], McElhinney [0.85] expire; Matthews [3.775] & Marner's [1.775] are up for extensions...Roughly 11.4 million + whatever increases in Cap Space...if more space is needed Zaitsev & Martin will need to be moved, bought out or traded for cap space

lot of work, but i really do not see any way that the Leafs re-sign JvR, one dimensional wingers with average wheels are going the way of the dinosaur, Kadri would not need to be traded and in fact I don't see the Leafs moving him even if they could sign Tavares, having Matty, JT and Naz down the middle would give them the advantage over most of the NHL.

Gardiner does need to go, the moments of brilliance can't overide the indentical boneheaded mistakes he makes over and over, personally I'd call the 'Yotes and see if they'd be interested in a package of Gardiner/Nylander and a 1st 2020 for OEL, Domi and their 1st 2020

Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Domi
Martin/Johnsson - Aaltonen - Leivo/Grundstrom

OEL - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Hainsey

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
serious Q

Matthews, Marner, Nylander
or
Matthews, Marner, Tavares
tenor.gif

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If I was Dubas*** since he's taking over

Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Leivo/Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Leivo/Hyman-Aaltonen-Whoever

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitsev

Andersen-Pickard

In other words, pretty much what my post TD roster would've been since I would've sold UFAs

Less than $60m cap hit :laugh:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Nylander in the 1 slot:eek::laugh:

I love it when people disagree with something and take it to the main boards, to try and make Leafs fans look bad.

I really don't think he'll get anything over 7, but again that's my opinion, people here are talking 8 which is just as ludicrous as the LeaFlanders who think Nylander is a centre(somebody actually called him a #1 centre today:rolleyes:) and that the Leafs are going to lay out 8 for him

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Stastny in...

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Kapanen- Stastny - Brown
Leivo - Gauthier/Aaltonen - Johnsson

Don’t think we’re getting much D help, but could see a guy like Cole, and maybe a bargain bin signing like Sproul.

Strength is going to be on the forward group, and Stastny really hasn’t slowed down the last few years.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Especially when any Leafs fan knows that when we're making line combos lines 1-3 are interchangeable

Yeah, seeing as our kids will need huge contracts soon.

Clearly not a leafs fan

lines 1-3 are hardly interchangeable, moving pieces yes but not interchangeable
and clearly you don't know me

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I'd try and sign JT.
I'd try to acquire a 2nd pair RHD. Use Gardiner as the main trade chip. Basically, try and get a similar player that is a RHD.
Convince Polak to retire and take a job within the organization. Then hide his equipment so he can't unretire.

Pretty much this. Let Hainsey and Dermott platoon the bottom two LHD with Zaitsev, and the newly acquired RHD can be Rielly's partner.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
stop following me around dude it's creepy af

Yes, that’s what it is. It’s not that your one of like half a dozen faux Leafs fans who scurry off like rodents to trash the team and or posters when someone disagrees with you, and then got called out on it. Nope, it’s that i’m stalking you, even though this is the 3rd post exchange we’ve had.:thumbu:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Grundstrom
Leivo - UFA/Aaltonen - UFA

Rielly - trade acquisition(1st round pick + Connor Brown)
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev

Looking through capfriendly at UFAs for the 4th line - Letestu, Hansen
Buy low RFAs - Slepyshev, Vesey

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Yes, that’s what it is. It’s not that your one of like half a dozen faux Leafs fans who scurry off like rodents to trash the team and or posters when someone disagrees with you, and then got called out on it. Nope, it’s that i’m stalking you, even though this is the 3rd post exchange we’ve had.:thumbu:

you my boy need help

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Thornton - Kapanen
Komarov - Beagle/Ryan/Aaltonen - Leivo/Korshkov/Grundstrom

Rielly - Pysyk
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev

Andersen
McBackup/Pickard

Connor Brown + for Pysyk, overpay Jumbo Joe for a year, sign Beagle or Ryan to center the fourth line if management isn't comfortable with Aaltonen.

Leaves us with lots of cap space to make further moves both in 2019-20 and 2020-21. The main concern for me would be at LW depending on regression of Marleau and progression of Johnsson.

Reactions: Kelly

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Kappy Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown
Johnsson Goat/Alto/UFA/trade Leivo

Rielly Hainsey
Gardner Zaitsev
Dermott Oziganov(spelling?)/UFA/Carrick/Trade

Andersen